Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hi all!

Another quick update:

Alpha Release Yes/No: NO

We received a new build today for iOS and Android mostly focused on the "Create Rally Point" and reply to posts/threads/messages. The issues (features) resolved/completed in this release include:

Forums:
Web Platform Updates (from mobile client) Speed Improvement.
@user mention functionality.
Private Message Creation

Rally Point:
Add waypoint is added
Formatting improvements
Add Feature Image
Details text formatting options.
Date and Time Selectors

The good: Text entry blocker resolved.
The bad: Home Page of app has disappeared :)

More soon all! Thank you!

M
Any new updates, projected release dates?

Reactions: Pierre C

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hahaha :D

Here is a quick update!

Weeeeeell I fired the overseas team - now that may sound bad BUT we are in a much better position now. The development is happening domestically and the team is already spun up and making good progress. There are trade-offs. Basically those are cost vs. reliability, and the current team is very reliable. The former team couldn't hit a date, as I am sure you are aware!

Here is a bit of backstory:
Not to go into too much detail, but the previous overseas team over promised and under-delivered. Not what Scotty would do for sure. We reached a breaking point where we just needed to make a change. We were not blind-sided by this, and the domestic team had been spinning up for months - so the transition was as smooth as possible. The good news is that the code from the previous team was quite usable - the're progress and ability to execute predictable was not acceptable.

Progress update:
  • The app is much more robust, and scale-able, and more maintainable. There has been extensive refactoring of some components.
  • Dark mode has been implemented, and we are resolving expected design artifacts with the dark theme.
  • Conversations is complete.
  • Forums are complete, and we are working through bugs
  • Rally Point Create has seen significant progress
I believe last time I said "Weeks not months" for .9 Alpha, and today I am saying, "Weeks not months" given the team changes, and we are still shooting for .9 in your hands before the new year (that will be Forums and Rally Point though I may opt to push out forums without Rally Point).

Glad to answer questions!

M

In the video you can see me poking around - some dark mode issues which we are working out, but getting there!

Last edited:

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
I do have a quick question. I signed up for the alpha roughly a few weeks ago but never received a confirmation email. Should have I gotten one or is this as intended? Since the Dev change over I just wanted to make sure that I don't have to resubmit my request.
Thanks in advance!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I do have a quick question. I signed up for the alpha roughly a few weeks ago but never received a confirmation email. Should have I gotten one or is this as intended? Since the Dev change over I just wanted to make sure that I don't have to resubmit my request.
Thanks in advance!
Check your spam folder, thats where I found mine.

jolagues

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Carmichael, California, United States
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Olagues
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QXA
I have a question about features. I know maps are supposed to be built into the app which is great. But was wondering if Apple CarPlay and Android play are on the roadmap for maps. Gaia just added this feature and it is really nice to be able to use the built in touch screen in my truck for nav. I use my iPhone now and was going to buy an iPad mini before the Gaia update. But would like to save the money and space.

Reactions: tijsk and Michael

tijsk

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Baarle-Nassau, North Brabant, Netherlands
First Name
Tijs
Last Name
Keijsers
Member #

I have a question about features. I know maps are supposed to be built into the app which is great. But was wondering if Apple CarPlay and Android play are on the roadmap for maps. Gaia just added this feature and it is really nice to be able to use the built in touch screen in my truck for nav. I use my iPhone now and was going to buy an iPad mini before the Gaia update. But would like to save the money and space.
CarPlay is in front of the roadmap if I’m right. Will be testing Gaia on CarPlay on my current holiday in Scotland, far from complete but its a start! Was on the same path as you are, but skipping the mounted iPad idea for now as well.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey guys, when signing up - you are registered. There is no confirmation. There has only been one email sent out to the Alpha group. beyond this thread, there isn't anything to send email about until there is an Alpha.

This thread is the latest greatest information available.

M

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Yes we will be doing this. I think it is standard for any relevant map app now. Offline maps are huge - I get the desire to save space!

Reactions: jolagues

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey all,

Just a quick note to let you guys know we are very close to putting the Alpha .9 Forums in your hands. It is fully functional now and we are addressing bugs and polish etc. Next week or the week after is looking very good.

Rally Point and Resource Map will follow early next year.

M

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.