Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Sorry to hear that, Jordan. Take your time in finding a replacement to make sure it has everything in order, and doesn't have any of the shortcomings you may have found in the time you've had yours.

Good luck,
Steve

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

He sent me a TON of pictures of that XJ, I just get a gut feeling something isn't right. He seems to eager to sell it and the fact it is lifted and "trail ready" means he probably has been wheeling it, I don't know how he took care of it or anything so I think that one is out. Good news is a local dealer that happens to be a good customer of mine has a 2001 XJ sport I am going to look at tonight, It is stock and is pretty clean so I feel good about it not being off roaded or abused.

benmmc

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Ball Ground, GA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
McCloskey
Member #

Nice! Starting from stock is better for sure. Don't wanna deal with the PO's bad/uninformed decisions re steering, suspension, etc.

Only thing about the 2001 (and 2000) is the 0331 head problem, but if you take care of it, I think that's not a big deal. Mine's a 99. If you have questions, let me know. I've replaced pretty much every vital part on these things :grin:

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Nice! Starting from stock is better for sure. Don't wanna deal with the PO's bad/uninformed decisions re steering, suspension, etc.

Only thing about the 2001 (and 2000) is the 0331 head problem, but if you take care of it, I think that's not a big deal. Mine's a 99. If you have questions, let me know. I've replaced pretty much every vital part on these things :grin:
Yeah I will do some research into that. He also offers warranties pretty reasonable I may buy one for a few months and milk some repairs out of it :)

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Yeah I will do some research into that. He also offers warranties pretty reasonable I may buy one for a few months and milk some repairs out of it :)
It might help that you know the dealer but once you start wheeling it the aftermarket warranty companies become real good at denying claims. Not saying don't get one but do your research, they are not all the same.

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

It might help that you know the dealer but once you start wheeling it the aftermarket warranty companies become real good at denying claims. Not saying don't get one but do your research, they are not all the same.

Had the same warranty on my last Jeep and on my wifes car, used the hell out of on her car, payed for the warranty 4 times over in repairs. Their rule on aftermaket upgrades is a max of 4in lift and no more than a 10% bigger in size tire over stock. But, I probably won't be lifting it for a few months. I just want the warranty so it can cover major things, that I will find if they are present. Then I'll drop the warranty :)

Reactions: MarkW

benmmc

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Ball Ground, GA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
McCloskey
Member #

Yeah, I guess it just depends on the price of the warranty. Most fixes for XJs are not expensive (cheap parts and they're relatively easy to work on), but of course there are exceptions.

The most expensive fix I've had done (and one of the few repairs I didn't attempt myself) was replacing the heater core. It was about $900 (they replaced the evaporator while they were in there). But I'm glad I had a local place do it who stood behind their work, because a few months later it started leaking again. They replaced it again for free and it's been great ever since. Glad I didn't have to rip out that thing twice.

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Yeah, I guess it just depends on the price of the warranty. Most fixes for XJs are not expensive (cheap parts and they're relatively easy to work on), but of course there are exceptions.

The most expensive fix I've had done (and one of the few repairs I didn't attempt myself) was replacing the heater core. It was about $900 (they replaced the evaporator while they were in there). But I'm glad I had a local place do it who stood behind their work, because a few months later it started leaking again. They replaced it again for free and it's been great ever since. Glad I didn't have to rip out that thing twice.

Haha...I know all about heater cores. Requires a complete dash removal. Did it on 4 of the 6 S10's iv'e owned. It is a blast. By the time I did the 4th I could remove the entire dash and steering column in under 2hrs. haha

benmmc

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Ball Ground, GA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
McCloskey
Member #

Haha...I know all about heater cores. Requires a complete dash removal. Did it on 4 of the 6 S10's iv'e owned. It is a blast. By the time I did the 4th I could remove the entire dash and steering column in under 2hrs. haha
Man, I feel for you. I can't stand messing with that plastic interior stuff. Seems like every time I pop a panel off, there's a new rattle for a few days afterwards. I've gone as deep as replacing the stereo and running a few wires through the firewall for installing switches and whatnot, but that's as far as I wanna go.

Let us know what the new one is like after you check it out. Did he say how many miles are on it?

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

150k. Floors boards on driver side have some rust but other than that it's VERY clean.