• HTML tutorial

Vin

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Houston, Texas
Member #

First an explanation and then a question:

The aftermarket for a WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee can best be described as... "challenging." Assuming you didn't get rock rails included as a factory option I have only come across a few options:

1. Mopar rock rails - basically the same rock rails as the factory option, but will be on back order for eternity even if you order through a dealer.

2. A few options from Australia... well made and great looking but pricey when you factor in shipping.

3. A kit from Rocky Road Outfitters in Utah. These seem to be well made and look great with an angled tube slider coming off the rail itself. The only concern I have is that they do not run the full length from the front wheel arch to the rear wheel arch. They only cover about 85% of that span. Even though they are designed to "wrap" around the existing plastic rocker panel they do not extend lower then the existing under carriage of the vehicle so they do not appear to negatively affect ground clearance.

So to my question... for someone who does not intend to rock crawl with this vehicle does the shortened coverage length pose an issue or should they be sufficient? Thank you.

Reactions: T-88

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

Can you post some images of the RRO sliders? I'm not that familiar with them and couldn't find much online. Every situation is different, but if you're considering installing rock sliders it probably means there's a likelihood that you'll need them, in which case I would want them to run full-length. My concern would be trying to clearance obstacles and coming down behind the front wheel, but you know the kind of trails you'll be on best.

For what it's worth we installed the Mopar sliders on my brother's WK2 and think they're fantastic, the design wraps from the underside like a boat-side slider. I didn't know they were on backorder, but if I was going to spend money on sliders I'd highly recommend trying to track those down. Maybe check with some online mopar parts dealers?

Reactions: k9sar

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

Coincidentally, I just ran through my phone gallery and found a really good video exemplifying what I'm talking about. I threw it up on youtube for you. This is my brother coming down a step, he nailed the line so he didn't hit but if the smaller rock wasn't there his slider would have made contact just behind the front wheel. I thought for sure that he was going to hit the slider, hence why I stopped to explain. He's lifted about 2" on 32's.

Reactions: k9sar

Vin

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Houston, Texas
Member #

Sparky,

I have attached a photo below of a publicity shot found on the manufacturer's website showing their sliders, but the video you uploaded in your second response did it for me... the lack of full coverage would matter. Thank you for a great response. Where were you and your brother able to source a set of sliders?

Vin

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

No problem. He ordered them through the local Jeep dealer, which for us is Normandin in San Jose. I want to say he applied some coupon for a discount as well, some sort of parts department promotion. They ordered them in from a distribution center.

I will say they were kind of a pain to install, the design uses a bunch of small nutserts which spreads the weight across a large surface area but also means it takes a few hours to get them on. For a unibody vehicle it's a good design, just takes some time. I'm not sure how other companies design them so can't comment there.

Vin

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Houston, Texas
Member #

Thanks to both of you...

The RRO sliders may be the only option for the foreseeable future. The Mopar rails have gone from possible delivery date of 10/2, which became 10/20, then 10/31, now 11/17 and after calling Mopar and my local Jeep dealer they can't even confirm that a manufacturer has committed to build the rails so 11/17 is in doubt.

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

Dang, well somethings better than nothing. I was checking out the Uneek one's, they look pretty nice too. You're right about the price though. Hopefully Mopar get's in gear and starts producing their rails again.

Vin

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Houston, Texas
Member #

That's hilarious... I was just on the Uneek site as well looking at their sliders and realizing that I could never explain to my wife why I had to source two pieces of metal from the other wide of the world.

ElGuapo

Rank III

Advocate II

Having a rig with limited after market support can be a pain... Nissan frontier here. I would look at finding a fabricator near you one that does work on 4x4's so he will know what you mean when you talk about rock sliders. They can actually be cheaper than buying prefabbed ones. When I was looking for mine a local fabricator quotes me about $200 less than the pre fabbed installed, while making me a pair of recovery points as well. So I would give that route a try.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

MrsFantastico

Rank V
Staff member
Launch Member

Traveler III

Dewey, AZ
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Emerdinger
Member #

@Meta6981 actually Uneek 4x4 is now through a guy in Florida. Shipping is not as bad as AU. Tagging my husband so he can give more details. We are in the market for sliders on our Jeep too, just has to wait until tax refund time

Sent from my Pixel XL using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Sparky

Meta6981

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Dewey, AZ
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Emerdinger
Member #

First an explanation and then a question:

The aftermarket for a WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee can best be described as... "challenging." Assuming you didn't get rock rails included as a factory option I have only come across a few options:

1. Mopar rock rails - basically the same rock rails as the factory option, but will be on back order for eternity even if you order through a dealer.

2. A few options from Australia... well made and great looking but pricey when you factor in shipping.

3. A kit from Rocky Road Outfitters in Utah. These seem to be well made and look great with an angled tube slider coming off the rail itself. The only concern I have is that they do not run the full length from the front wheel arch to the rear wheel arch. They only cover about 85% of that span. Even though they are designed to "wrap" around the existing plastic rocker panel they do not extend lower then the existing under carriage of the vehicle so they do not appear to negatively affect ground clearance.

So to my question... for someone who does not intend to rock crawl with this vehicle does the shortened coverage length pose an issue or should they be sufficient? Thank you.
There is a Uneek4x4 distributer in Florida. Super nice guy, met him at overland expo west. And coming from another WK2 owner and off roader....YES!! We absolutely need rock sliders!!! I wish I would have gotten then when I did my first equipment buying for her.

Sent from my XT1650 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Sparky

Vin

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Houston, Texas
Member #

Amanda... Meta6981... Thank you both very much. I called and spoke with Emerson Kappler at KS Overland this afternoon and a set of Uneek rock rails should be at my house next Wednesday. I spent two months hunting down a set of rails for a WK2 with no luck. It took less than two days on this forum... thank you.

Once I tracked down KS Overland's number I was going to call tomorrow, but then I saw the photos you attached and decided to call today.

Vin

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Houston, Texas
Member #

Having a rig with limited after market support can be a pain... Nissan frontier here. I would look at finding a fabricator near you one that does work on 4x4's so he will know what you mean when you talk about rock sliders. They can actually be cheaper than buying prefabbed ones. When I was looking for mine a local fabricator quotes me about $200 less than the pre fabbed installed, while making me a pair of recovery points as well. So I would give that route a try.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app
Finding a local fabricator was quickly becoming my second option, but Uneek 4x4 now has a wholesaler here in the U.S. so it looks like for once option one will work out... knock wood.

Meta6981

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Dewey, AZ
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Emerdinger
Member #

Amanda... Meta6981... Thank you both very much. I called and spoke with Emerson Kappler at KS Overland this afternoon and a set of Uneek rock rails should be at my house next Wednesday. I spent two months hunting down a set of rails for a WK2 with no luck. It took less than two days on this forum... thank you.

Once I tracked down KS Overland's number I was going to call tomorrow, but then I saw the photos you attached and decided to call today.
Emerson! That's his name! Glad you got touch with him. Happy to help and talk wk2 shop all day!

Sent from my XT1650 using OB Talk mobile app

MrsFantastico

Rank V
Staff member
Launch Member

Traveler III

Dewey, AZ
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Emerdinger
Member #

Awesome!!! Emerson is such a nice guy. So glad you got the rails! Hey, that's what the forums are here for man. Happy to help a fellow WK2-er

Sent from my Pixel XL using OB Talk mobile app

GPsGeeps

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Did you install the sliders yet? It's a little time consuming to get them on there. But they are worth it. I love mine and they have saved me a couple of times.