Winch options

• HTML tutorial

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

This spring i will be installing a Winch bumper on my WJ, any "Budget-Friendly" brands of winches out there? I know some people frown on the Harbor Frieght/Badlands winches but, I have also seen where people LOVE them.

So,
Brands?
Models?
What weight rating should i get?
Any other info i should know prior to install?
Bigger alternator?
Dual Batteries?

Reactions: DoggMan1163

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I research EVERYTHING to the max before i buy...so i'll start here! Thanks for any help guys.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Just had a friend put this on his Tacoma. Seems like a fairly good deal and I've heard good things about Superwinch. 9500 ought to be big enough for your WJ, no? Synthetic line and a fairlead included.
If you're going to get a winch, here's a good DVD that has some instruction/training.

Dan.

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

Had an Engo 10000 on my 2013 JK. Worked well. I've got a ComeUp waiting to go on my 2015.

TxTerra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

prosper, tx
Member #

I've been super impressed with my smittybilt x20 series. Its the 1st gen, and its 100% waterproof and designed to be run underwater

Reactions: Wampa150

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I am very interested to know what is required on the electrical side of running a winch, dual batts, bigger alt, etc??

TxTerra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

prosper, tx
Member #

Larger alternator and dual batteries are recommended but not required. It is necessary to have a battery in good shape.

run the cable directly to the battery, dont run them through a fuse, relay, solenoid, etc. These can pull upwards of 400+ amps at max pull.

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

That will be hard to resist.. I went to school for my degree in Industrial Electricity, lol i like fuses....

TxTerra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

prosper, tx
Member #

i know the feeling there. Its kinda of the same reason manufacturers dont fuse starter cables. They have a pretty high amp draw. What ever fuse your put in will likely blow very very quickly under a good pull

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

The winch solenoid should have overload protection built in, so yes, straight to the battery, both hot and ground. Not recommended to run ground to frame. Also be sure to use the heaviest gauge cable you can source. I believe 8ga is a standard...

TxTerra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

prosper, tx
Member #

that really depends on the winch @maktruk. The high end winches (like warns) will have a thermal protection device built into the winch. The lower end winches (harbor freight, smitty, engo, etc) usually does not.

If you are that overly concerned with it, i would recommend either using a quick disconnect plug that you would see on multi-mount winches, or putting in a battery disconnect like you would see on some race cars

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

that really depends on the winch @maktruk. The high end winches (like warns) will have a thermal protection device built into the winch. The lower end winches (harbor freight, smitty, engo, etc) usually does not.

If you are that overly concerned with it, i would recommend either using a quick disconnect plug that you would see on multi-mount winches, or putting in a battery disconnect like you would see on some race cars

I'll definitely run it through some form of insulated disconnect, just in case something happens and i need to disconnect it i want it to be insulated so i don't get zapped...been bit a few times and DC is horrible, much worse than AC current.

TxTerra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

prosper, tx
Member #

your normal 12v dc will not do anything to you at all. The only thing that should/could zap you would be ignition coils. Getting zapped by a distributor SUCKS!

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I have a ton of those plug style disconnects left over from my Blazer build. I used them for my compressor, my power to roof rack lighting, my inverter and had it wired up and ready for a fridge... Those things are great!