Why are there so few Silverado overland rigs?

• HTML tutorial

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

I think maybe its available parts, I don't see too many out here.

I frequent this area about an hour from me, not really overlanding but it a big open space with a lot of hills and trails, the larger trucks don't seem to do well on steep narrow hills.
It is mostly smaller 4x4s.

20200322_142206.jpg
Pictures do not give this hill any justice, we were scraping on rocks and sliding on full brakes.

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

dog, I'd have to agree with you on the parts issue. There is very little aftermarket support for Silverados. No lockers, sliders, skid plates, winch mounts (new models). I'm planning on installing a hidden winch on my 17 Silverado. In order to do this, I'll have to do some cutting, welding and general fabrication to get that winch mounted behind the stock bumper. The aftermarket winch-bumpers are really quite distasteful (in my opinion) as they give the trucks a large fat-lip, and decrease approach angles dramatically. There are some nice after-market rear bumpers, but they are pricey.

Reactions: samsara

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I'm not experienced as many of you but i think when we start talking about narrow steep trails that a Tahoe or a Sierra cannot get through, I think we are starting to get into 4-wheeling as opposed to Overlanding. Not saying it wouldnt be cooler to be able to get down narrower trails, but I do think that kicks the game up a notch.

To me the forest, logging, fire, and desert roads (as well as the highways) is what I think of.

Back in the 80's, we used to go logging in the Adirondacks with a full size Ford truck. Regular cab, 8 ft bed, 4x2. Not ever 4 wheel drive. It was F150 size but I believed it was called a Ranger. We never wanted for not getting someplace off road. We crossed all over the region on logging roads just fine.

I guess it's up to the driver where they prefer to cross or blur that line.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I also have a 2013 with the shell on the back. Choose to put a Thule Box on top to keep things out of the back where I sleep! Also used a Yakima Half Basket again to keep the back clear of items. I’ll attach a couple of pictures, hope it helps with ideas?

View attachment 151665
View attachment 151666
View attachment 151667
I did the same. I found my unused Yakima basket and my Thule cargo box and decided to see if it would all fit, including my Yakima awning and pod like lights on the same cross bars. I’m real happy and now just need a place to go lol.

B28B2714-618A-4479-8575-32B288760993.jpeg

11DEFCA1-21F0-47B9-AB11-55165D4BBD3E.jpeg

2B96C0BF-1C57-44F1-9F54-6E879ECC8BAC.jpeg

Tim Roberts

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

Reactions: RoarinRow

RickLB

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Blythewood SC
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Byrum
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Someone help me out, I don’t understand the fascination with hidden winches? I get the fat lip, mine has it but my winch is readily accessible. With most hidden winches how do you see if the winch cable is situated correctly? From what I’ve seen, most of the hiddens give very little access to the winch, which seems to present it’s on set of issues?

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Reactions: Lancaster55

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

I've owned a 99 and an 03 Silverado. Loved them and they were fantastic off road. Both were Z71 standard cab short bed trucks. Too hard to find now, everything is 4 door long wheel base. And the price for a new truck is insane. I think the cost and wheelbase is why they are rare out in the wild.
Also Ford and GM over options the trucks to drive the price (profit margin) up, and it is impossible to find a basic truck.

Last edited:

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I've owned a 99 and an 03 Silverado. Loved them and they were fantastic off road. Both were Z71 standard cab short bed trucks. Too hard to find now, everything is 4 door long wheel base. And the price for a new truck is insane. I think the cost and wheelbase is why they are rare.
Also Ford and GM over options the trucks to drive the price (profit margin) up, and it is impossible to find a basic truck.

Are you my long lost, secret twin brother?!

The GM K2 platform (pickups and large SUV's 2014 - 2018) were the last time I saw a single cab, short bed GM pickup, and even then they were rare. And they were also the last platform for which you could get a manual 4x4 floor shifter, in the Work Truck trim.

Now the transmission, and transaxle are all automatic, and, as you said, its impossible to get short bed single cab unless for some reason you are in Dubai.

My very first, bought-with-my-own-money-for-myself pickup was a 1990 or 91 GMT400 platform Chevy Cheyenne single cab, short bed, 4x4 with manual transaxle and manual transmission with 3 speed on the floor and a 305 engine and the double slider back window vent. Oh, and the metal, manual side mirrors. I dont remember the specs on that truck, but I know that if I was doing 55 down the highway and took my foot off the gas, that thing lurched forward hard enough to stop me from choking.

If I could ever find another one just like it, I'd be happy as a pig in shite

Reactions: JimBill

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Another Silverado owner here. Some great ideas on this post, the internet has been little value on aftermarket parts. I’m just starting to upgrade, it will be a slow process and nothing extreme. Keep the ideas coming. View attachment 156548View attachment 156550View attachment 156555

Nice truck. I was looking at a Custom Trail Boss just over a year ago, in Havana Brown. Nice, good solid truck with not a lot of unnecessary frills - just the way I like it. We couldn't get together on price so I eventually went used, but maybe someday...

Very nice

Tim Roberts

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

MidwestVoyager

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pratt County, KS, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Westerhaus
Member #

Service Branch
Fire/NREMT-BLS
The best vehicle for overland adventure is the one you already have. So long as the capabilities of the vehicle meet or exceed the needs for the terrain you will be in. I have a 2014 chevy silverado crew cab 4x4 as my daily driver. It has 120K on the odometer. For many months now, I've been stuck on the idea that I must eventually invest in a JKU to fit my desires and growing family. The more I think about it though, the more I think that modifying what I have would be better suited to my needs and my family's. I have a TJ for fun but that isn't a very practical fit for my family to explore in. Maybe as a second vehicle it would be a fun addition. I don't think my pickup would need much beyond a 2" lift, bumpers, rockers and a topper or rack system to be ready for the trails. I'm in my infancy when it comes to overland exploration but have taken it on some FS trails in southern Colorado without an issue.

510Steve

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Leandro, California, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
YSL
Member #

cary holt

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Cary
Last Name
Holt
Member #

heres a few pictures since my first trip with the tent. have a few additions and learning how i want my rig set up. have been planning my slide out kitchen and waiting for my awning to show up. new since last pictures, skid plates, removable bike mount, amber and white led, solar panel for maintaining accessory battery, high lift jack, traction boards (ALSO USED FOR LEVELING), overland bound emblems, and ladder extension! enjoy
20200704_174206.jpg20200705_134723.jpg20200705_135421.jpg20200705_214140.jpg20200704_145433.jpg20200702_162721.jpg