Why are there so few Silverado overland rigs?

• HTML tutorial

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Actually I believe the new 2021 Tahoe Z71 and Yukon AT4 are essentially the Trail Boss versions of the SUVs
The old z71 was what the new Trail Boss is now. Over time, GM lowered the front end and added that *REDICULOUS* chin strap under the front bumper - even on the Z71. And they made the front skid plate plastic. AT4 is nothing more than a GMC branding of essentially the Z71.

As a matter of fact, the Trail Boss is built up off of the current Z71

My Z71 GMC Sierra came with the front end way too low for my taste, and with that chin strap. Both of which I plan to change. So Z71 is not now the quality it used to be

UltimaSanctus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
B
Last Name
W
Member #

The old z71 was what the new Trail Boss is now. Over time, GM lowered the front end and added that *REDICULOUS* chin strap under the front bumper - even on the Z71. And they made the front skid plate plastic. AT4 is nothing more than a GMC branding of essentially the Z71.

As a matter of fact, the Trail Boss is built up off of the current Z71

My Z71 GMC Sierra came with the front end way too low for my taste, and with that chin strap. Both of which I plan to change. So Z71 is not now the quality it used to be
True the current models are not much more than an appearance package. I meant the new redesigned ones on the new K2 platform. Granted they'll have independent rear suspension which will hurt capability a bit

2021-Chevrolet-Tahoe-Z71-on-the-road-December-2019-004-1024x683.jpg

2021_GMC_Yukon_AT4(17).jpg

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

True the current models are not much more than an appearance package. I meant the new redesigned ones on the new K2 platform. Granted they'll have independent rear suspension which will hurt capability a bit

View attachment 144112

View attachment 144113
These do look like they could fit the bill. I like the lack of downward rake and no chin strap. I like the skid plate. It does look like these new Z71's are getting back to what a z71 should be.

Another point: I wish to hell Chevy had gone retro with the new Blazer. A nice bare bones truck with a 1970 taste to the style, but complete available stock or with all the bells and whistles and comfort you want...2 doors would have flown off the shelf

Reactions: UltimaSanctus

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Hi MOAK

I'm new here and not as experienced as many others. However, as far back as 1979, my brother, father and I would all hop into my fathers 4x2 ford pickup. It was a full sized pickup an f150 or they maybe even called it a ranger back then.

So not to argue, but my point is that we went logging in that 2 wheel drive, 8 foot bed pickup, every week. All over the Adirondacks and never once got stuck on any old logging trail.

Which begs the question from a newbie here but, isnt there a lot of difference between 4-wheelin', rock crawling and Overlanding? Sure, they are both away from improved roads, but hard core 4 wheeling I imagine requires a smaller Korean compact vehicle. Whereas I thought overlanding would be more along old fire roads and desert roads and such. Am I wrong?
No, not wrong at all. However, the best of both worlds, ( 4 wheelin and Overalanding ) are enjoyed with a midsize vehicle. I grew up on F100s then later F150s and Ford made a fine utility vehicle. My 89 150 4x4 was one of the best vehicles I’ve ever owned. However, that 89 was just too big to maneuver on anything except nice wide fire roads. We used to have to back out and get turned around quite often. So far with our 04 Rubicon and then now with our Landcruiser, we’ve been all over and have never had to turn around. And once in a while to get where we want to go, do a tiny bit of rock crawling.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

No, not wrong at all. However, the best of both worlds, ( 4 wheelin and Overalanding ) are enjoyed with a midsize vehicle. I grew up on F100s then later F150s and Ford made a fine utility vehicle. My 89 150 4x4 was one of the best vehicles I’ve ever owned. However, that 89 was just too big to maneuver on anything except nice wide fire roads. We used to have to back out and get turned around quite often. So far with our 04 Rubicon and then now with our Landcruiser, we’ve been all over and have never had to turn around. And once in a while to get where we want to go, do a tiny bit of rock crawling.
Those Landcruisers look like a sweet spot in design. Very nice and nice trail. One day I'll get to a place like that.

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

I just came across this thread and I too was a little dissapointed with the lack of silverados. Mine is a 2018 CC with the 6.6ft bed and z71 with a 3.5" lift and 35's and im slowly buidling it up. Im a welder fabricator so im thinking about making my own rear bumper to get what i want. I know some people say its too big for the trail but ive fit it in some tight places and it did fine. I know there will be some trails i cant do but i want to try what I can.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I just came across this thread and I too was a little dissapointed with the lack of silverados. Mine is a 2018 CC with the 6.6ft bed and z71 with a 3.5" lift and 35's and im slowly buidling it up. Im a welder fabricator so im thinking about making my own rear bumper to get what i want. I know some people say its too big for the trail but ive fit it in some tight places and it did fine. I know there will be some trails i cant do but i want to try what I can.
Too big is a relative term. In the group, my Tahoe is surrounded by mid size trucks.

8ACC9AC6-AFE1-4123-83A4-96A2212B6A56.png

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
FS truck will be fine. For overlanding, most people probably don't want to take routes that are so small only the smallest rig will fit, because it's been my experience in the state I live in, a tight route leads to even more hazards. If only a Suzuki Samurai will fit, then believe that a few yards past that point there will be a huge mud hole. I doubt people are looking for that kind of drama when loaded down with overlanding gear.

I have a FS 4x4 CC truck and have followed my friends who own Jeep Wranglers through some moderately tough trails in WA state. Mud, ruts, fallen trees, big rocks. Of course my FS CC truck dragged frame every now and then, but it was mostly drama-free. Granted, there's no way I'd be able to keep up with a Jeep Rubicon in the worst stuff, but... my point is, those trails we went on 4 years ago? They are gone. They were destroyed by floods and landslides, the trails were old mining roads and will never be rebuilt. In different regions, maybe a smaller truck would be useful. In a place that has lots of forests, it's nice to stick to the bigger routes that a FS can go on because those smaller routes often are fraught with hazards that I doubt most people want to deal with for "overlanding".

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Any vehicle can "overland". It depends on your expectations. Most people here, even the ones who claim "solid front axle is NEEDED" probably hit 4 low once or twice in their lifetime when they really need it. RAWK KRAWLIN is not overlanding and vice versa. You will be fine with a so called full sized rig as most will be rough roads that are passable by most vehicles. I choose my jeeps because I like the versatility of the wrangler, I find it extremely comfortable driving and realtively inexpensive to build to what I want. My patriot is great on gas, Really capable in snow and off road and just the "right size". The ride off road however is NOT anywhere near what my wrangler is. It will be a great overlander however if you don't mind going slow on the rough stuff.

Reactions: Sparksalot

cary holt

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Cary
Last Name
Holt
Member #

hey guys im new here as well and ive been working on my 2013 gmc sierra for a month or so now. i have been collecting metal and planning since i got the truck in 2017so finally i started the buld process. i just got most of my rack built and will be working on rock sliders with ladders as well. i have bumpers in the planning stage now and an icon lift seeing my work is wrapping up the process to be an icon dealer in boulder colorado. ill make a post about this later IMG_5332.jpgIMG_5330.jpg

Kdeome

Rank I

Contributor III

Western Massachusetts, MA, USA
First Name
Kenney
Last Name
Deome
Glad to see a few other big truck guys into overlanding.

Planning out some stage 1 stuff for my truck (15 Denali) before her maiden voyage into the Northern Maine Woods for a 3 day trip.

hopefully the tides are turning and we can get some more support like the compact truck community!