Why are there so few Silverado overland rigs?

• HTML tutorial

Tim Roberts

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

I’d really like to get that skinny Yakima rack. Can’t justify it right now. Nice setup!
It works out real well for me and my style of camping. You’ve got a nice looking rig, maybe I’ll see you sometime when I’m up north. Hopefully will all get out soon, going stir crazy! Enjoy

Reactions: RoarinRow

Bluegrass rules

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Willow Beach, Georgina, ON, Canada
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Hill
Member #

I have a 2007 Sierra regular cab diesel with 8 foot bed. Great for our numerous trips to the east coast being able to take more comfort items to keep the wife happy. 500 miles between fill ups. I need a different front bumper for a winch and to remove the lower valance. Just deciding on a truck camper or tow a small off road trailer to sleep in. My back won’t take tenting anymore.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I have a 2007 Sierra regular cab diesel with 8 foot bed. Great for our numerous trips to the east coast being able to take more comfort items to keep the wife happy. 500 miles between fill ups. I need a different front bumper for a winch and to remove the lower valance. Just deciding on a truck camper or tow a small off road trailer to sleep in. My back won’t take tenting anymore.
I love my 14 GMC Sierra. Great platform. As you mentioned 500 miles between highway fill ups. Being newer with newer technology, I can often squeeze out almost 600.

Just removing the front bumper valence alone gets you about 4 inches or more of clearance there. Much better angle of approach. Cant speak to winches, myself. Maybe someday.

Recently, I picked up a used Leer camper shell. I think a decked box system will give me a place to put my tools and gear and still give us a nice flat deck to put our air mattress on and sleep, right in the bed of the truck.

Reactions: Bluegrass rules

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
It works out real well for me and my style of camping. You’ve got a nice looking rig, maybe I’ll see you sometime when I’m up north. Hopefully will all get out soon, going stir crazy! Enjoy
Thanks we all need to break out as soon as it’s safe.

Reactions: Tim Roberts

Bluegrass rules

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Mike
Last Name
Hill
Member #

I love my 14 GMC Sierra. Great platform. As you mentioned 500 miles between highway fill ups. Being newer with newer technology, I can often squeeze out almost 600.

Just removing the front bumper valence alone gets you about 4 inches or more of clearance there. Much better angle of approach. Cant speak to winches, myself. Maybe someday.

Recently, I picked up a used Leer camper shell. I think a decked box system will give me a place to put my tools and gear and still give us a nice flat deck to put our air mattress on and sleep, right in the bed of the truck.
I was thinking of a sleep platform as well, with my contractor style truck cap. Great for a weekend but we are planning weeks, maybe months long trip across Canada then to visit relatives near Seattle and in New Mexico. I could do it but wife may get tired of it. That’s why a truck camper or towing a small teardrop etc may be better.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Here's my 2013 Silverado. Still in the early stages of my build. If any recommendations for parts and equipment that would be much appreciated.View attachment 151597
Honestly, there's no better way to outfit your rig than to use it and figure it out for yourself. I started with small trips back in 2016. When I come home I ask myself what I'd have liked to have had on that trip and I bought it. You don't really NEED much, it's more about comfort and wants. With that said if I had your truck I'd be in the market for skids, sliders, traction boards, compressor, and deflators.

Reactions: CCH185

Mekcanix

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
First Name
John
Last Name
McLaughlin
Member #

Here is my 09 Sierra does that count. 3 inch lift , hidden winch which was built be myself as I didn't want to loose my Push bar gasp... wheel spacers so the flares dont look weird.
I absolutely love this truck it pulls our little NoBo 16.5 like nothing has 270 000 km on the clock
its got rust
its now developed a oil leak
it drinks fuel like theres no tomorrow
and I hope to get a bit more time out of her before I need to replace her, but she is getting long in the tooth

Birch point 2.jpg

Reactions: RoarinRow

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Honestly, there's no better way to outfit your rig than to use it and figure it out for yourself. I started with small trips back in 2016. When I come home I ask myself what I'd have liked to have had on that trip and I bought it. You don't really NEED much, it's more about comfort and wants. With that said if I had your truck I'd be in the market for skids, sliders, traction boards, compressor, and deflators.
Sorry for the Wall Of Text but here goes...
Yep. Take some trips. Decide what you could use. Most recently, I started out with a 14 GMC Sierra with a soft tonneau. It was nice for keeping things mostly dry and out of sight, but wasn't truly secure. I removed the tonneau and got a diamond deck tool box instead. Loved it.

...BUT...I'm driving out through the Badlands, Tetons and Yellowstone in October and plan to do a lot of camping, so I removed the toolbox and put a Leer model 180 cap on the bed so we can sleep back there in rougher weather. Crap! Now I need another place for my tools and gear! So I have to get or build a deck and drawer system for the bed.And now I'm adding a roof rack in top of the Leer, so I have a place for my Kayaks and such.

My equipment has evolved over the last year or so.

About the equipment Diabetictako mentions. Everything he said can be useful, and some of it can be a little costly. Not to diminish any of it, but I'll offer budget alternatives and some stuff I like do take on long trips.

COMPRESSOR I think it's always wise to have a way to blow air into your tires, although a foot pump will do if you dont mind time and exercise! I have a foot pump in the Jeep and a small, rechargeable batt operated compressor in the Sierra.

DEFLATOR A deflator, for me is anything I can jam to the stem to release air, and periodically measure with a tire pressure gauge. But the deflator would be nice.

SKIDS. I have a Z71, so I have some sort of skids, but I will say that my 93 non z71 K1500 Blazer Silverado had much better and real skids. I think they are a great idea especially if you removed that chinstrap under your front bumper. The z71 has the added benefit of an increased capacity air filter and offroad tuned suspension.

I personally always try to get a truck or SUV that has a factory TOW package. You get the slightly added frame rigidity - often making a protective cradle around the fuel tank (Jeep Grand Cherokee, Cherokee, Big Blazers, etc) - and usually TowHaul mode shifter and increased oil coolant, etc. And front hooks.

Rock SLIDERS I dont really use. I imagine if you are going through really rugged territory you might want them. My lady is short, so she really needs the running boards to get into the truck, so I stick with those knowing they have reduced my "off-road capability."

TRACTION BOARDS. Well in places that see snow, we always want something in our car or truck that will help us get out of a slippery spot, although younger kids dont tend to think about these things in advance. If you dont have the cash for the expensive ones, just gather up a couple long strips of carpet, 2 to 3 feet wide each, maybe 4 ft long. And keep a few scraps of wood in the back of the truck, and a recovery strap. If you know you will be off road, bring a spade shovel.

GPS is great. I have an older Garmin. I like to keep an Atlas and maybe some local paper maps or Gazetteer with me, though! If I have them, I keep the Tyvek maps of the state or state park I'm in or around. They show roads and elevations, too, so that helps. Get them at REI or if you are a part of Appalachia Mountain Club or something. I wouldnt mind having one of the 6 or $700 off-road GPS units, I just dont have that to spend at the moment.

I have the bedrail LIGHTING in the back of my truck. Augmented by the light inside the Lear Cap, I see very well back there. I want to add outside lighting to the Leer cap for camping, and maybe som KC type for driving. And I keep a flashlight or headlight.

I keep a sheepsfoot style serrated blade RESCUE KNIFE in the center console should the unthinkable happen and we need to cut ourselves out of our seatbelts. I carry one when hiking or kayaking too.

Always bring FIRST AID including a SPACE BLANKET for warmth or shelter

FIRE. Always have something to start a fire. Ferro rod, matches, lighter, what have you.

Bring TOOLS that you need specifically for your truck. Thats very important! Find out the sizes of all the nuts and bolts for all of the important or commonly changed or fallible parts, and bring those sized tools and some adjustable tools. So, the lug wrench for your wheels, the size driver for your battery cable nuts, oil drain plug, verious under-hood faster sizes, a flat head and a Philip's head screwdriver. And a crowbar. That way you dont carry 25 wrenches, none of which fit any nut or bolt on your truck. Diamond deck cross box (to which I have attached my Coca Cola bottle opener) or a purchased or home made Decked System to store it all.

I usually keep a Leatherman and a Victorinox Swiss Army Knife in the truck as well.

I always carry JUMPER cables but am going to switch to a batter jump pack.

FOOD & WATER for a couple, 3 days of emergency. Not a feast, just sustenance. I get some Mountain House meals from REI or WalMart. Dont forget for the dog food if you have one. I also carry a fishing pole. For fun and it could be useful. I have a couple gallon jugs and some Nalgenes. Sawyer filter would be nice.

To that end carry a small butane STOVE like the Coleman Peak1 or the Primus Classic Trail stove.
For that you need a metal container to boil water in, on said stove. Full army canteens come with a metal insert inside the bag, to use as a cup.

Some hand SANITIZER.

COMMUNICATIONS . Cell phone chargers. I personally have a CB radio and a small handheld FRS/ GMRS radio. With NOA weather is always gonna be worth it.

CLOTHES. Just one change of clothes, an extra jacket, winter hat some GLOVES (lined work gloves like the Klein Tools 40018 are a good all around choice), extra pair of work boots. Just in case you ever falling and get wet and need to change so you dont freeze.

On long trips I always bring a BLANKET or SLEEPING BAG.

If you have a diamond deck cross style toolbox or a decked system in the back of your truck, most if not all of this stuff should either be attached to your truck somehow, or fit in the toolbox, leaving plenty of room in an extended or crew cab truck.

ROPE. Always have rope and paracord. Or a lot of boot laces.

TOILETRIES in a shaving kit. And dont forget to bring a TOWEL. One of the single most useful and versatile bits of equipment you can carry. Sure, you can dry off with it but you can also use it as a blanket, a hood, a sunscreen, you can soak it in vitamin water and chew on it as you walk, you car fend off knife attacks and snap someone's behind with it.

That's just about it.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Here is my 09 Sierra does that count. 3 inch lift , hidden winch which was built be myself as I didn't want to loose my Push bar gasp... wheel spacers so the flares dont look weird.
I absolutely love this truck it pulls our little NoBo 16.5 like nothing has 270 000 km on the clock
its got rust
its now developed a oil leak
it drinks fuel like theres no tomorrow
and I hope to get a bit more time out of her before I need to replace her, but she is getting long in the tooth

View attachment 151598
That's a badass lookin truck. I like the steel wheels, the tow mirrors and the roof rack. Hadn't considered a push-bar but I am now.

And I see you have your L'il Will CB Antenna up top center, as do I.

I like the wheels, tires and stance. Something I'm missing.

Here's mine. Almost there.

Attachments

Reactions: Mekcanix

Tim Roberts

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

Here's my 2013 Silverado. Still in the early stages of my build. If any recommendations for parts and equipment that would be much appreciated.View attachment 151597
I also have a 2013 with the shell on the back. Choose to put a Thule Box on top to keep things out of the back where I sleep! Also used a Yakima Half Basket again to keep the back clear of items. I’ll attach a couple of pictures, hope it helps with ideas?

1588200150781.jpeg
1588200227155.jpeg
1588200284844.jpeg

Bluegrass rules

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Mike
Last Name
Hill
Member #

Has anyone changed or cranked up the torsion beam keys. Ride results? I’m looking for a two or three inch lift for 2007 Sierra 2500HD diesel here in Canada but I guess the truck is older and lift not readily available. There is one from Zone off road in US but by the time I pay duty and Canadian taxes, it’s not worth it. Just need a few inches to fit slightly larger tires. Great truck, perfect for long distance travel. Just needs a little suspension tuning.

UltimaSanctus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
B
Last Name
W
Member #

Has anyone changed or cranked up the torsion beam keys. Ride results? I’m looking for a two or three inch lift for 2007 Sierra 2500HD diesel here in Canada but I guess the truck is older and lift not readily available. There is one from Zone off road in US but by the time I pay duty and Canadian taxes, it’s not worth it. Just need a few inches to fit slightly larger tires. Great truck, perfect for long distance travel. Just needs a little suspension tuning.
My '04 Tahoe has 1-3" torsion keys from supreme suspensions. Pretty easy install other than needing a torch to heat up the old keys to loosen them from the bars. They recommend no more than 33s with them but should fit 285/75/17s (33.8") with a bit of plastic trimming

Reactions: Bluegrass rules

Bluegrass rules

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Mike
Last Name
Hill
Member #

I think what I’ll do is wait until we are freed from forced incarceration then go to my tire dealer and try narrow 33s and see what clearance is like. Maybe it will be ok if not too wide. They will be fine on the rear, it the front that’s the problem. The more I see people’s full size trucks the more I know they are the best option for me and the wife. Like I’ve said before, now decide between truck campers (pop up) or build storage and sleep platform. Thanks for the input.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I just drive mine. Works fine for camping and trips. I’m debating on setting up a Jeep or Taco but since I’m broke not much of a debate haha! This pic is from yesterday, the first camping trip of the year! Woohoo it’s warm in Wyoming!
Nice truck but an even nicer backdrop. I hope to be out that way in October

Reactions: Prstone50