Why are there so few Silverado overland rigs?

• HTML tutorial

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

No RV, we did a lot of research on whether the or not it was worth the money. We generally rent an RV from RVshare when we want to go. It's a lot cheaper to rent, vs buy

Reactions: RoarinRow

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I have a '11 Silverado 2500 HD with the Duramax/Allison sitting on a 4" Cognito lift and 35x12-18"s. It was my daily driver until just last year, and it's always been my tow-rig. I still have a 5th wheel Toy Hauler I pull with it, along with a few other trailers. That said, it's done a lot of what most would call "Overlanding" for years. I've often gone 3-4 hours out dirt roads with it to camp, but I guess I never saw it as "Overlanding" because the roads themselves weren't particularly difficult roads, and sometimes I was going to my family cabin (to be clear, it's an old-school real cabin, you don't even sleep inside, but it's still "cheating" I guess). The truck is extremely capable, comfortable, and the space for "stuff" is great. I've also recovered many, many rigs with it from soft sand and dirt.

Now, that said, I still didn't pick it as my dedicated Overlander. That decision was mostly based on size and IFS. I've never had any problems with my IFS, but it's not my first choice for wheeling, and I want to Overland the "tougher" trails (partly because I enjoy the challenge, and partly because it gives you access to even more remote and desolate locations). As for size, the thing is just Yuge and heavy at about 8500lbs without me or gear in it if I have the aux fuel tank full (I have a 60 gallon stock-replacement fuel tank under the truck for diesel, but I also have a 65 gallon fuel tank/toolbox combo in the bed I use for gasoline for my "toys" on non-Overland type trips). Finally, I like this truck to stay looking good, so yeah I don't want to trail stripe it up. Sure, I'm that guy (with my truck, not my WJ).

That said, there's definitely a part of me that wants to SAS this truck and make an Overlander out of it. Again, the space is awesome. I like the idea of a truck for an Overlander so you can run a bed-rack that's not super-tall and have the top of your RTT even with the top of the cab of the truck when stowed. I already have a ton of fuel on the truck as I mentioned, I could never see needing more than the 60 gallons of diesel for me, which would mean I could have 65 gallons of gasoline onboard for all the other rigs in my group and we could really extend our trips. I also would have tons of room to add a decent amount of water storage, and room for storage for "dirty" things you don't want inside (say firewood when we're going to more barren areas, fire-pit to have fires more easily/safely, spare parts, garbage for the whole group, etc.) and a giant cooler. The cab of my truck is also super-comfortable for long-trips and would provide plenty of space for the "clean" stuff (clothes, food, etc.).

Anyway, I guess my point is that I think it WOULD make a great Overlander, especially if you're content with IFS and slightly milder trails. For me, I wanted something smaller/lighter and solid axle front (and rear).

Doing some Overlanding out of my Silverado about ~3hrs out dirt roads from the nearest electricity, phone signal, etc:
20190720_085226.jpg20190720_085230.jpg20190720_085245.jpg

-TJ

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Yeah with a full size rig, I'd think you'd want to pick and choose your trails wisely. I know I would. I'm also not a fan of trail striping, but once you're committed there is no turning back lol. 60 gallon, holy smokes!

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I had a 2005 suburban z71. I loved the size of the rig. By the time I had it, it had many issues from sitting in the driveway for years and not being moved. I spent thousands fixing it up to the point where it was good and reliable, but the rusties started taking over. My wife and I are looking at starting a new tour business for Central Newfoundland. I am thinking the suburban would be the ideal rig. I need comfortable room for me, her and 4 passengers. The burban fits the bill. Plus I can outfit it with some off road goodies to get our clients to more places. Even with the 3rd row seat in place, there's still plenty of room for gear etc. I was looking at the commander too, but they are not quite large enough. I think the suburban would be the correct vehicle for our business.

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
I did a walkaround of my 2007 Silverado if anybody is interested.

Overland Silverado Build Walk around
Excellent video! I'm building my Nissan Titan in a similar way.

Question for you on your canopy/elevated bed setup....how you feeling about the vertical space in there?

I have a similar canopy on my truck, I was going to do in-bed pull out storage like yours, but got a bit concerned about vertical space, since my canopy isn't a "highboy" style. I went with a large cargo rack on top of the canopy instead. I never got to try out a standard height canopy with in-bed storage so I don't know if that could still be an option for me

Advocate II

Excellent video! I'm building my Nissan Titan in a similar way.

Question for you on your canopy/elevated bed setup....how you feeling about the vertical space in there?

I have a similar canopy on my truck, I was going to do in-bed pull out storage like yours, but got a bit concerned about vertical space, since my canopy isn't a "highboy" style. I went with a large cargo rack on top of the canopy instead. I never got to try out a standard height canopy with in-bed storage so I don't know if that could still be an option for me
Thanks! I guess it depends on how tall you are and what you’re willing to settle with. It’s definitely not enough headspace for me since I’m 6’4” but it’s perfect for my girlfriend who’s 5’2”. We try to spend all of our time outside of it so it feels cramped less often. If I ever had the opportunity to have something similar to that ez topper lift then I’d definitely take advantage of it.

Reactions: JCWages

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Agreed, GM is so far behind the curve they would have to move mountains in order to catch up with the Japanese, or the Europeans. I can only imagine what it would be like had they kept the core values they established with utilitarian vehicles such as the K5 blazer/jimmy, the Suburban or the older GMC trucks.. GM traded off their fine heritage for bling bling and it will be their downfall ..
Someone earlier in the thread mentioned th Chevy Trail Boss. When I saw the Trail Boss announced and saw it at the dealer, I though: this is what all 4x4 trucks used to be, right out of the box.

I already have a truck so o cant buy a trail boss, although I really want to because I dont want Chevy to be discouraged. I want them to be ENCOURAGED to produce that type of thing.

As a matter of fact, I want them to make a Tahoe Trail Boss next. And as I understand it, they are working on a 2500 version which will have a totally different name.

But you are dead-on. I had two different k1500 full size Blazers, a 93 and a 94. That 5.7 engine, somewhat short wheelbase, built on a regular cab, shortened with a cap idea, to me, is the PERFECT vehicle for this type of thing.

GM has definitely gone down a path of more bling than sting, but it wont hurt them. That's what most people want and we have to remember that unfortunately, WE are the niche.

I've put a cap on my 14 Sierra 1500, and am gearing it up for long road trips and some over landing. Needs to be leveled off, some slightly bigger tires like 33's, not too aggressive because I need to hit highways for hours before I can get to anyplace fun, and my CB and stored camping gear and tools in the back. Maybe some lighting when I put a roof rack on top of the Leer 180.

Done

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Using a full size rig has its drawbacks because of width, not articulated length. A big wide vehicle is much less maneuverable, oftentimes impossible to maneuver, on tight narrow trails that a narrower vehicle, even with a trailer can easily traverse.. geometry and spacial intellect are not idiotic premises.
Hi MOAK

I'm new here and not as experienced as many others. However, as far back as 1979, my brother, father and I would all hop into my fathers 4x2 ford pickup. It was a full sized pickup an f150 or they maybe even called it a ranger back then.

So not to argue, but my point is that we went logging in that 2 wheel drive, 8 foot bed pickup, every week. All over the Adirondacks and never once got stuck on any old logging trail.

Which begs the question from a newbie here but, isnt there a lot of difference between 4-wheelin', rock crawling and Overlanding? Sure, they are both away from improved roads, but hard core 4 wheeling I imagine requires a smaller Korean compact vehicle. Whereas I thought overlanding would be more along old fire roads and desert roads and such. Am I wrong?