Why are there so few Silverado overland rigs?

• HTML tutorial

EstrayDeputy

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Luling, TX, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Townsend
Member #

I'm just starting to modify my 99 Silverado. So far it's always done what I've asked of it. Reliability? 183k and counting. Rusty but trusty. Aftermarket support isn't great (or really existent at all) for a 99, but I am also not afraid to get creative. For now, I have the cap, good A/T tires, and I'm looking into more lighting options since the stock headlights are junk. Might do a small lift and bigger tires once I get another daily driver. I blew the motor on my last one a few months ago so the Chevy needs all the mpg help it can get right now.
Your working on a 99 I'm working on an 01 stepside most parts I will have to either build myself or custom order. Glad to see there are more of us using older trucks

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

EstrayDeputy

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Luling, TX, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Townsend
Member #

Dont worry about backlash. Drive what ya like. Me I'm driving a 2001 chevy stepside which is near impossible to find aftermarket support

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

I've added a mild lift of 2.25" on the front and 1.75" on the back. I'm running 33" Tires, over the 31.5" stock tires, and I'm looking to install a Dual battery setup. There is a tray for a second battery, and there is a harness for it, I just have not had the time to do the full research and work on it. Other eventual upgrades will be a winch. I've not decided as to whether I'm going to modify my current bumper, and hide the winch inside the modified bumper, or....maybe a removable winch. I dunno yet. I have a High-Lift jack winch recovery system right now, which I've tested successfully, but the winch is so much faster. I'm also looking at the A.R.E hard top that can hold a tent..... lots of ideas, and short on time and money.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
All good stuff on your list. I’ve got the ARE Overland Camper Shell which as reinforced sides. When your order you can tell them to add rack rails on top, i.e Yakima or Thule. Just a note my Yakima Mega Load Warrior Basket popped out of the rails during my last rocky trail trip. Not sure how the Thule is designed by I’d definitely research especially if you’re considering a RTT up there. Glad I have my Gazelle T4 ground tent.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

All good stuff on your list. I’ve got the ARE Overland Camper Shell which as reinforced sides. When your order you can tell them to add rack rails on top, i.e Yakima or Thule. Just a note my Yakima Mega Load Warrior Basket popped out of the rails during my last rocky trail trip. Not sure how the Thule is designed by I’d definitely research especially if you’re considering a RTT up there. Glad I have my Gazelle T4 ground tent.
Thanks for the info. I was wondering what the load rating was for the A.R.E Overland. I couldn't find anything on it (maybe I didn't dig deep enough), regarding how much it can handle. Aside from just putting a load, there is a lot of side forces being produced by that load when moving down tight trail. When you say, "popped out", do you mean the rack popped out of the A.R.E, or.... was it repairable by just tightening, or did the repair need significantly more work?

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Thanks for the info. I was wondering what the load rating was for the A.R.E Overland. I couldn't find anything on it (maybe I didn't dig deep enough), regarding how much it can handle. Aside from just putting a load, there is a lot of side forces being produced by that load when moving down tight trail. When you say, "popped out", do you mean the rack popped out of the A.R.E, or.... was it repairable by just tightening, or did the repair need significantly more work?
The basket popped out of the Yakima rails on the front part and loose all around. Could have been that way before the trip since I didn’t think it would come loose/pop out. The rail was still securely attached to the camper shell no problem. The paint just got scratched from all the bouncing.

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

The basket popped out of the Yakima rails on the front part and loose all around. Could have been that way before the trip since I didn’t think it would come loose/pop out. The rail was still securely attached to the camper shell no problem. The paint just got scratched from all the bouncing.
Ahh ok, time for some loctite on those bolts.
I was hoping the A.R.E would be capable of handling the load. However, as you suggested, I should look at the other Caps to compare the load carrying capacity. As stated, it's one thing to have a load sitting on the top, but quite another to handle shear load.

Reactions: RoarinRow

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Ahh ok, time for some loctite on those bolts.
I was hoping the A.R.E would be capable of handling the load. However, as you suggested, I should look at the other Caps to compare the load carrying capacity. As stated, it's one thing to have a load sitting on the top, but quite another to handle shear load.
From what I remember the dynamic weight is 250 lbs. In another thread, which I can't remember at the moment, another member contacted A.R.E. and got a verbal on a higher number. Another route is to go with the contractor quality shells which have a higher dynamic load.

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

A dynamic weight of 250 should be enough to handle any RTT, given the load bars are close to the shell. The higher the bars are from the shell mount, the more torque that dynamic load places on the shell itself. I certainly do like the A.R.E looks, as well as the lights on the inside. For years I've done dirt bike riding, but I recently injured myself in a silly get-off, and the older I get, the slower the recovery is. This latest get-off slammed me into the rocks and has left me with some significant scar-tissue on my lower back and hip, plus dead nerves throughout my left hip area. No fun. So, I'm trying to slow my row, and prolong my body's capacity to live life and actually walk it out. I used to say I would slide into the grave, but pain has a way of changing one's perspective.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
A dynamic weight of 250 should be enough to handle any RTT, given the load bars are close to the shell. The higher the bars are from the shell mount, the more torque that dynamic load places on the shell itself. I certainly do like the A.R.E looks, as well as the lights on the inside. For years I've done dirt bike riding, but I recently injured myself in a silly get-off, and the older I get, the slower the recovery is. This latest get-off slammed me into the rocks and has left me with some significant scar-tissue on my lower back and hip, plus dead nerves throughout my left hip area. No fun. So, I'm trying to slow my row, and prolong my body's capacity to live life and actually walk it out. I used to say I would slide into the grave, but pain has a way of changing one's perspective.
I hear ya on the back problems, once you got it, then it's a lifestyle change for sure. Some reasons why I didn't get a RTT: 1) I have young kids under 10 years old. 2) wife and kids would probably be too scared to climb up to RTT especially with my 6" lift and 35" tires already making it tall, 3) center of gravity already to tall for overlanding lol. 4) costs 5) l would loose basket storage and ability to attach my accessories (shovel, water shower holder, etc). Plus I already have a nice comfortable bed inside the camper shell, but it's only for 1 person lol.

Reactions: RickLB

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

Speaking of access to items, I've considered the LeitnerDesigns Active Cargo system. One of the drawbacks, in my humble opinion, is the open bed is now exposed to the elements, such as rain, snow, and whatever else comes down. This means all items must be kept in separate storage tugs or whatever you use. That in itself is not a bad thing, but it's just a little dirtier. As you probably know, being the tail-gunner on a convey can get really dusty and dirty.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Speaking of access to items, I've considered the LeitnerDesigns Active Cargo system. One of the drawbacks, in my humble opinion, is the open bed is now exposed to the elements, such as rain, snow, and whatever else comes down. This means all items must be kept in separate storage tugs or whatever you use. That in itself is not a bad thing, but it's just a little dirtier. As you probably know, being the tail-gunner on a convey can get really dusty and dirty.
Yeah that is a very flexible design for gear. But will need maintenance/cleaning if you're the kinda person who likes to keep their rig clean when not overlanding/camping.

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

Yeah that is a very flexible design for gear. But will need maintenance/cleaning if you're the kinda person who likes to keep their rig clean when not overlanding/camping.
yeah..... after years in the military, Field Artillery, I'm all about keeping your gear clean and ready for use. Having dirty gear, gummed up with the elements leaves me questioning whether the item will work properly or not. I'd rather have my gear kept clean, which has me leaning towards a hard top.
I currently do have a SoftTopper that I used on one excursion through the San Francisco river excursion (Clifton, AZ area). It did a pretty good job of keeping the items somewhat clean.
I like the SofTopper's flexability, in that I can put it away and still have a truck bed to load up crap, including my dirt bike (which is questionable in my future), but when it comes to excursions, it's a canvas top that does an OK job.
I dunno, my wife likes the glamping scene; 25' RV trailer in a park, walking the dog and chillaxing. Me, I prefer to get out off the beaten path, maybe do some fishing, hiking and enjoying the great outdoors.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
yeah..... after years in the military, Field Artillery, I'm all about keeping your gear clean and ready for use. Having dirty gear, gummed up with the elements leaves me questioning whether the item will work properly or not. I'd rather have my gear kept clean, which has me leaning towards a hard top.
I currently do have a SoftTopper that I used on one excursion through the San Francisco river excursion (Clifton, AZ area). It did a pretty good job of keeping the items somewhat clean.
I like the SofTopper's flexability, in that I can put it away and still have a truck bed to load up crap, including my dirt bike (which is questionable in my future), but when it comes to excursions, it's a canvas top that does an OK job.
I dunno, my wife likes the glamping scene; 25' RV trailer in a park, walking the dog and chillaxing. Me, I prefer to get out off the beaten path, maybe do some fishing, hiking and enjoying the great outdoors.
The softtopper seems like a good compromise. You have the RV as well?