Who does their own electrics?

• HTML tutorial

ZuLander

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

San Marcos, Tx
Member #

I do all of my own, I'm sure partly because I installed 12 volt electronics for YEARS, both auto and marine.
I'm still in the "field, but I've switched to the home and commercial side of a/v and control systems.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

I've just posted this elsewhere on the the forum but thought it worth adding here to make this thread a good source of reference.

This video is about dual battery systems but also covers the aspects involved like wiring choices:

Reactions: Boort

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

It feels like things have moved on a bit in the last year or so. Now it's much easier to install electrical accessories with kits like ARB's Linx (https://linx.arb.com.au/) or the Power Distribution system from Perth Diesel Performance (http://perthdieselperformance.com.au/Power_Distribution_Module.html) and the sPOD system (https://www.4x4spod.com/). These give a structured and saleable approach although don't come cheap.

Like any other part of the build it pays to plan the electrical system of your Overland vehicle so you don't end up doing the wiring several times over. That said sometimes needs and budgets change... I know mine have! If I was to start again at any point I think one of these systems would be on the list.

Jet_Pack_Jesus

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Bremerton, WA
Member #

I've just posted this elsewhere on the the forum but thought it worth adding here to make this thread a good source of reference.

This video is about dual battery systems but also covers the aspects involved like wiring choices:

I have talked to those guys one the phone. they are great and helpful. to bad they don't sell in the states.

Reactions: Tim

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

I have talked to those guys one the phone. they are great and helpful. to bad they don't sell in the states.
Yeah, they have a whole series of comprehensive videos on YouTube. Very helpful considering they are offering all that info for free. Good on them.

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

I do my own. I think it is a good idea to feel comfortable with the fundamentals of electrical things before taking on a job. I have a huge fear of causing an electrical fault or fire, so I use every precaution. I am still slowly working on my solar panel project. I am just down to the hinge/gas struts for the panel so it can lay flat on the roof rack or pivot up and be a wind fairing for when I have my roof cases/cargo on there.

The bulk of the 'lectrical things...
Traxide SC-80 based dual battery system
Solar Charge Controller
ARB 50qt fridge
CB/radios
Inverter (small one)
On board Viar 450p
Shower pump 12v
Rear camp lights
front single row 100w light bar.
Warn winch
ARB intensity lights, on relays hooked to high beams and wireless warn winch controller.

Aux battery side...

Main battery

Cargo cubby, with distribution block, aux battery protection isolator, wireless remote box for rear work lights.
Looks like a very neat and comprehensive install. Yep, causing a fire would be my worst nightmare. I’m lucky my rig is old school and doesn’t rely on computers but seeing it burn to the ground would would be a tad upsetting!