Who carrys a firearm with them while camping?

• HTML tutorial

Angel Rivera

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Spring, Texas, United States
First Name
Angel
Last Name
Rivera
Member #

Service Branch
DD-214 7th SFGA
Immediately thought “Howdy Texan!”

Planning a trip to Big Bend NP. Talking to Texas groups, universally advised me to come prepared. Thing I’m nervous about is rattlers. We didn’t have snakes in Alaska, so my dogs don’t realize the danger.
For that area, snake shot is an option.

also, have your vet give the dogs the rattlesnake vaccine. It doesn’t stop the effects of a bite, but reduces and slows them.
Thank you. I have a bunch of .410 2 1/2” .410, and have a Governor. I’m going to vet tomorrow, so I’ll start asking questions. I
Normally keep dogs on leash anyway. A habit I learned north.

Attachments

Reactions: Sparksalot

Psfracer

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Fercho
I bring my firearm when camping.

I'd rather have it and not ever use it than not have it and then find myself in need of it.

I've never had to use it.

I also bring a shovel, I've brought an axe, recovery gear, waterproof matches, emergency heat, extra food, extra clothes, extra fuel, trauma kit, and a SHTF backpack.

Never had to use them either but I wouldn't go anywhere without them.
This right here are my exact thoughts. You just never know.

Lazynorse

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Tacoma, WA, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Olsen
I’ve adopted an ultralight backpacking technique, for backpacking. In the Pac NW, there is near zero risk that requires a firearm. Folks out 12 miles and beyond a trailhead are fellow hikers or hunters. Tweakers and other garbage humans are screened out by virtue of distance and effort. Black bears scare like any other forest creature, as I’ve experienced personally time and again. With these facts, I’m not toting a heavy gun, especially not holstered, bathed in sweat and chafing during long treks.

Car camping, different deal. If you can reach it in a car (or truck), so can the garbage humans, including ‘woo hoo’ drunk idiots who just might need dissuasion. So, I keep a little handgun around for most of my vehicle touring and camping.

Unless I’m in Alaska with grizzlies or polar bears, I’m not concerned with animals. In 30 years of camping and multi night backpacking, my biggest animal threat has been mice sneaking around my food bag.

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I prefer 9mm but have found .380 to be easier to carry. The law may say yay or nay, but it's up to you to decide what is necessary to keep your family safe.

Reactions: Arailt

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

...it's up to you to decide what is necessary to keep your family safe.
"I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6" right? Obviously I'm not condoning breaking the law, or any irresponsible use/carry of firearms. That said, when laws are unreasonable and prevent you from protecting yourself in remote areas, well...

-TJ

bigboss223a

Rank 0

Contributor I

amarica
First Name
bigg
Last Name
boss
I don’t own an AR15. What’s the difference between an AR15 and a semi auto gun that doesn’t look like an assault rifle? Share the same caliber, same clip, same action. What’s the difference between 4 ar15’s stolen and 4 semi auto hunting riffles? Again knee jerk reaction without thinking this whole thing through COMPLETELY. Guns are scary regardless of what the stock looks like.

peeeeetey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harrisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Meuser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WREL270
"I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6" right? Obviously I'm not condoning breaking the law, or any irresponsible use/carry of firearms. That said, when laws are unreasonable and prevent you from protecting yourself in remote areas, well...

-TJ
If there is no reciprocity or an outright ban might not want to visit there..Just saying...

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

I don’t own an AR15. What’s the difference between an AR15 and a semi auto gun that doesn’t look like an assault rifle? Share the same caliber, same clip, same action. What’s the difference between 4 ar15’s stolen and 4 semi auto hunting riffles? Again knee jerk reaction without thinking this whole thing through COMPLETELY. Guns are scary regardless of what the stock looks like.
Great first message. big BOT 223. lol

Akicita

Rank IV

Advocate I

Firestone, CO, USA
First Name
Akicita
Last Name
Lakota
Member #

Exactly. To bad America could not get on board and do the same thing. We just banned all ar-15 style crap up here too. No need to have stuff like that. Airguns are fine as you can't really kill anyone in mass quantities with those. I have 6 firearms, 2 30-06, 12 shotguns and 2 .22 cal for hunting. They are safe as they are a tool for gathering food. For shooting target practice and fun, airguns are the deal for that since you can have fun in realitve safety.

Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Reactions: Sequoiadendron

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I dont find guns the least bit scary. They are very simple machines that are very easy to handle safely if you follow a few very simple, easy to remember rules.

I dont find chainsaws or angle grinders to be super scary either, but I'll tell you those two tools are far scarier than any firearm.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
In the Pac NW, there is near zero risk that requires a firearm.
My brother in law was stalked by and ultimately put down a cougar not too far out in the sticks here in the Pac NW; thankfully he was armed. Two Mt bike riders were attacked and one rider killed by a cougar not 10 miles from where I sit typing this in suburbia (Sammamish).

Locals may appreciate that the cougar kill was deemed appropriate/legal and he got to keep the animal. He mounted the COUGAR pelt on PURPLE and GOLD felt and it hangs on the wall in his house. Go Dawgs! Hahahaha

Last edited:

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
You probably meant magazine and not clip. The word clip refers to a “stripper clip” which is a thin bit of metal with rounds mounted to it that is used to aid in the loading of a firearm.

1689981743386.jpeg

Last edited:

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Guns shouldnt be scary. They are a chunk of polymer and metal. To be scared of, or fear something, is because you are afraid it will hurt or kill you. Contrary to popular believe no firearm has ever attacked anyone, tried to kill or hurt anyone. They are a tool and should be used as such for their intended purpose, Sport shooting, hunting etc. With that being said, you should be in fear of evil people with a firearm, but you should be in fear of evil people with a knife, behind the wheel of a car, holding a screwdriver, being too intoxicated, a baseball bat, hopefully you get my point here as these are all legal thingsto possess. Evil people will do evil people things and they will do it with whatever means they can. Fear them and be caution of them, but it is not the tool they use to cause harm that you should fear or be scared of. You respect the tool, be aware of what it can do and know that it is the person in control of it that decides if it will be used for good or evil.

Just my $.02, do with it what you will.

Last edited:

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Guns shouldnt be scary. They are a chunk of polymer and metal. To be scared of, or fear something, is because you are afraid it will hurt or kill you. Contrary to popular believe no firearm has ever attacked anyone, tried to kill or hurt anyone. They are a tool and should be used as such for their intended purpose, Sport shooting, hunting etc. With that being said, you should be in fear of evil people with a firearm, but you should be in fear of evil people with a knife, behind the wheel of a car, holding a screwdriver, being too intoxicated, a baseball bat, hopefully you get my point here as these are all legal thingsto possess. Evil people will do evil people things and they will do it with whatever means they can. Fear them and be caution of them, but it is not the tool they use to cause harm that you should fear or be scared of. You respect the tool, be aware of what it can do and know that it is the person in control of it that decides if it will be used for good or evil.

Excellent post.Just think of all the toxic chemicals that are used for good pusposes? We don’t make those toxic chemicals illegal just because they are toxic. We simply treat those chemicals with respect and handle them properly. If someone mishandles them, well….

Ahoward2k

Rank VI

Advocate I

Helena, Alabama, United States
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Howard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AI5FK
Service Branch
Army retired

Excellent post.Just think of all the toxic chemicals that are used for good pusposes? We don’t make those toxic chemicals illegal just because they are toxic. We simply treat those chemicals with respect and handle them properly. If someone mishandles them, well….
I've never heard guns compared to toxic chemicals, I like the analogy, until someone brings up that toxic chemicals are regulated

Reactions: Sequoiadendron