Who carrys a firearm with them while camping?

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams

This one. Pre charge the tank before heading out. and just keep it with us for protection from yote/wolf hybrids we have here and bears. Pretty well the only thing that will remotely hurt us. The 2 legged animals, i am not paranoid or living in fear of them up here. They don't carry guns everywhere everyday!

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Exactly. To bad America could not get on board and do the same thing. We just banned all ar-15 style crap up here too. No need to have stuff like that. Airguns are fine as you can't really kill anyone in mass quantities with those. I have 6 firearms, 2 30-06, 12 shotguns and 2 .22 cal for hunting. They are safe as they are a tool for gathering food. For shooting target practice and fun, airguns are the deal for that since you can have fun in realitve safety.

VI Overlander

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Fanny Bay BC Canada
Ham/GMRS Callsign
chernoble
I wouldn’t go as far to say Canadians don’t need a firearm in the bush. It depends where and when. In my location I don’t need one as we only really have black bears and they only get active when the salmon are in and then they are so pre occupied by the smorg they could care less. Now we have gone up north, and had a close call with a griz, so that alone has us re-thinking. Plus we have an Alaska trip planned in 2 years and a defender would be nice.

I have had black bears so close most would freak out. They don’t scare me, grizz and wolves though, they are ruthless

Reactions: Desert Runner

VI Overlander

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Fanny Bay BC Canada
Ham/GMRS Callsign
chernoble
Exactly. To bad America could not get on board and do the same thing. We just banned all ar-15 style crap up here too. No need to have stuff like that. Airguns are fine as you can't really kill anyone in mass quantities with those. I have 6 firearms, 2 30-06, 12 shotguns and 2 .22 cal for hunting. They are safe as they are a tool for gathering food. For shooting target practice and fun, airguns are the deal for that since you can have fun in realitve safety.
this gun legislation does nothing to lower gun crime rates. Criminals do not buy registered guns nor do they register said firearm. The only thing this does is make some people sleep better at night. Ignorance is bliss.

Toywolf

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles, Ca
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Bownds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DXL
Welcome to California standards haha. It seems they truly believe it best to unarm (or make more difficult to arm) those who protect and defend, or just simply law abiding citizens. But that's a whole other conversation. My feel on the original question of topic; I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. For any situation.

CubbyRunner

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Harro
Member #

I grew up in Alaska always carrying a .44mag revolver when camping. These days I generally carry a 9mm and bear spray. In bear country I’ll add that .44mag to my kit or even a rifle but I’m not too concerned down here in the states. As a side note I only ever camp in remote dispersed camping locations and rarely at an official campground.

VI Overlander

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Fanny Bay BC Canada
Ham/GMRS Callsign
chernoble
I grew up in Alaska always carrying a .44mag revolver when camping. These days I generally carry a 9mm and bear spray. In bear country I’ll add that .44mag to my kit or even a rifle but I’m not too concerned down here in the states. As a side note I only ever camp in remote dispersed camping locations and rarely at an official campground.
recommended caliber for Alaska trips? Hand guns not an option for us canucks

Reactions: dugan.rec

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
this gun legislation does nothing to lower gun crime rates. Criminals do not buy registered guns nor do they register said firearm. The only thing this does is make some people sleep better at night. Ignorance is bliss.
And where do these weapons come from. NOT ALL FROM USA. just last month 4 AR 15s were stolen from a legal gun owner in NS. SO....YES this DOES keep Canadians safer. Sorry AR owners are butthurt. Get pellet versions...they offer the same feel, however the dont go bang.

Atlost67

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
Adolph
Last Name
Lostaunau
Member #

Welcome to California standards haha. It seems they truly believe it best to unarm (or make more difficult to arm) those who protect and defend, or just simply law abiding citizens. But that's a whole other conversation. My feel on the original question of topic; I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. For any situation.
Totally agree with you

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I wouldn’t go as far to say Canadians don’t need a firearm in the bush. It depends where and when. In my location I don’t need one as we only really have black bears and they only get active when the salmon are in and then they are so pre occupied by the smorg they could care less. Now we have gone up north, and had a close call with a griz, so that alone has us re-thinking. Plus we have an Alaska trip planned in 2 years and a defender would be nice.

I have had black bears so close most would freak out. They don’t scare me, grizz and wolves though, they are ruthless
I didn't say Canadians dont need firearms in the woods. AR has no place anywhere anways.

VI Overlander

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Fanny Bay BC Canada
Ham/GMRS Callsign
chernoble
And where do these weapons come from. NOT ALL FROM USA. just last month 4 AR 15s were stolen from a legal gun owner in NS. SO....YES this DOES keep Canadians safer. Sorry AR owners are butthurt. Get pellet versions...they offer the same feel, however the dont go bang.
I don’t own an AR15. What’s the difference between an AR15 and a semi auto gun that doesn’t look like an assault rifle? Share the same caliber, same clip, same action. What’s the difference between 4 ar15’s stolen and 4 semi auto hunting riffles? Again knee jerk reaction without thinking this whole thing through COMPLETELY. Guns are scary regardless of what the stock looks like.

im not going into this any farther and sorry for the de-railing.

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

Well said VI Overlander. The gun vs anti gun debate gun debate will go on forever. To each their own, if you carry, that is your choice and if you don't that is also your choice.

I carry and have concealed carry permits to cover most of the US. We usually have more than one firearm available for hunting, self defense or just target shooting. I don't open carry or go looking for trouble nor do I expect to find it but in today's world I feel it is better to be prepared. Prepared as in good equipment, proper training and practice, practice, practice. Just because you can own a gun doesn't always mean you should, it is a responsibility and a privilege protected by our Constitution.

It all goes back to that disappearing concept - common sense.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I don’t own an AR15. What’s the difference between an AR15 and a semi auto gun that doesn’t look like an assault rifle? Share the same caliber, same clip, same action. What’s the difference between 4 ar15’s stolen and 4 semi auto hunting riffles? Again knee jerk reaction without thinking this whole thing through COMPLETELY. Guns are scary regardless of what the stock looks like.

im not going into this any farther and sorry for the de-railing.
Again. Hi cap magazines have no place either. If you can't take down an animal with 3 shots take up knitting. Anyways. I know there will be lots of crying about people having their black guns taken away. That's not what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about protection from real threats like a bear in your campsite. The 50 cal airgun seems like a dandy choice.

CubbyRunner

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Harro
Member #

recommended caliber for Alaska trips? Hand guns not an option for us canucks
I’d say use what you have already if possible. A 12gauge shotgun is a classic. My dad dropped a charging grizzle with a single rifle shot from the hip 300win mag!

I’ve been interested in light and fast. CMMG’s 10mm Banshee looks awesome. I like the 30 round capacity because if I’m freaking out I can keep pulling the trigger. Also gives me a few warning shots in the dirt.

That being said I’m a huge fan of keeping a clean camp spot. Stowing the food and keeping the bear treats inside. Choose a wide camp spot. If the salmon are running then don’t plan in that sweet river side campsite. I’ve been in many bear encounters and have never pulled a trigger.

Atlost67

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
Adolph
Last Name
Lostaunau
Member #

This one. Pre charge the tank before heading out. and just keep it with us for protection from yote/wolf hybrids we have here and bears. Pretty well the only thing that will remotely hurt us. The 2 legged animals, i am not paranoid or living in fear of them up here. They don't carry guns everywhere everyday!
I carry a firearm with me when camping. No I am not paranoid or am I living in fear
my firearm is not crap.