Who carrys a firearm with them while camping?

• HTML tutorial

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
:)

Glock is my preferred choice, just recently put a can on the end of my 21. I was told it would cause me to want more cans, they were correct.
Is their such a thing as “too many” cans? Or “too many” class III fire arms for that matter?

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Bear with me please, I havent read the whole thread yet. And I mean the following respectfully. However it struck me ass odd that you started a thread asking who carries a FIREARM and then proceeded to explain that you carry an AIR gun and nobody should ever carry firearm x. Then, still on the first page of the thread, at least 3 times also seeming to make back-handed remarks against those who do have a right and do decide to carry real guns. Then you hop on a soap box about what capacity mag should be allowed any time, anywhere. Calling people butthurt and all...

Obviously you have a right to your opinion. Also, I've seen many of your other posts and usually am in accordance with you, as we present each other here. So by no means is this an attack. Just want to hopefully illustrate why we have the freedoms and mindset we do in the USA.

The US Is a little different. Not perfect by any means, however, our Constitution provides the right to carry. That right is second only to the right to say what one wants and there is a reason it was put there. These concepts might be old hat, or status quo to people today but that was not the case when this land was ruled by the British back in the 16 and 1700's. Without that Second Amendment (and granted, a lot of help from the French), the US wouldn't exist as it is. The purpose of our second amendment is not to allow farmers and trappers to hunt. That was a given back in the day. It's real purpose was to allow people the ability to not only hunt or defend themselves, but to also band together and stand up against an oppressive government that has a well trained standing army.

Therefore, this has been the culture in which we grew up as a nation and as individuals.

Remember, the British government at the time - and even now - expected to make its subjects more docile by disarmament. In some cases, even having any metal was forbidden. To this day you cant carry a locking blade on a Leatherman or locking Swiss Army knife in the UK, without an express reason. Workmen have to remove tools and blades from their belts just to stop in and have a quick unch at a restaurant...

Remember also that it wasn't USA vs the British Empire in 1776. Those people who stood up against the British were actually British subjects in a British colony, conducting illegal acts against their own government. Look up not only the Battle of Lexington and Concord but also Leslie's Retreat, which happened in and around Salem Massachusetts before Lexington and Concord. How long did it take India, Canada, or Scotland to become independent? That just wasn't the way it went on over here.

Anyone who thinks "well, this kind of oppression couldn't happen today" hasn't been paying attention lately.

I live in Massachusetts. In the US, you would be hard pressed to find a state more gun-restructive than this one. Yet I have had my class A License to Carry Firearms here since 1990 with. And i agree with you on various individual points: There is no reason someone should be carrying their AR-15 into a public school or slung over their shoulder at a coffee shop. And I agree with you wherein a hunter doesnt need a 30-round mag to properly hunt deer and so on. However, you absolutely miss the whole reason we have the right, when you say it should only be for hunting and target practice.

It just seems like you were bating people, asking and inviting them to speak about firearms, and then turning around getting on a high horse about your air gun and how nobody should carry this or that firearm.

By the way, despite being licensed, i also dont carry a firearm when I am camping in this state, nor in any state in which I am not licensed. I want to be able to kayak, which may land me in water. And we cannot leave our firearms unattended or even locked in a lockbox in a locked car, so it seems best to leave them locked at home.

Sorry if I havent gotten to some other posts in this thread yet. This just hit me as snide and I wanted to remark and maybe she'd light on what formed our mindset and laws over here.

No offense intended
Teaching people correct history is never “insulting” to people who don’t “have a ulterior motive” which most gun grabbers have in this type of thread. It has shown it’s motive in many of it’s posts, glad I am not the only one to notice, well said and good history lesson.

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
Bruce, a “Sig” and a “Glock” are two different gun manufacturers, do you carry two guns or is your “Sig” modeled after a “Glock” being a polyimer type gun?
@M Rose is correct. My gun is a Glock 32 and shoot Sig357 or I should say a 357sig bullets, guess I could of been clearer about that.. The 357sig bullet was designed to replace the 357Mag to allow State Troopers to carry semi automatic hand guns. It has a very high velocity coming out of the barrel and it’s designed for penetration

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
@M Rose is correct. My gun is a Glock 32 and shoot Sig357 or I should say a 357sig bullets, guess I could of been clearer about that.. The 357sig bullet was designed to replace the 357Mag to allow State Troopers to carry semi automatic hand guns. It has a very high velocity coming out of the barrel and it’s designed for penetration
That 357 sig is a sweet round... I have a CZ 75 clone chambered in it...

Lost Viking

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Illinois, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Novack
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N0VLV
Does bear spray work for two legged critters?....
Yes but you could be charged with a weapons offence.
Good point but might be worth it in a life or death situation. I would rather pull the trigger on bear spray and explain later, especially if it was all I had.

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
On my second trip through Canada going to to Alaska, I didn’t want the hassle of dealing with the Canadian boarder patrol, so I left my guns at home and that was my introduction to carried bear spray in case of an attack. I did a lot of reading and everyone had a can to carry with them. My first trip was with my parents in 1983, no guns. The place where I crossed, just east of Glacier National Park was a hassle. My vehicle was chosen to be inspected and they tore it apart and I thought the agents where rude, not because the chose me, but I watched them throw my bags and stuff across the bay to get X-ray and when they where done, It took me 45 -60 minutes to get everything put back in my Jeep and trailer. For that crossing I am very happy I didn’t have a shotgun or rifle with me, I believe it would of been even more of a hassle. Since then, every crossing has been good, with one agent wanting to give me paperwork to purchase a shotgun in Canada. I have more trips planned into and through Canada and I will continue to follow their rules and enjoy myself.

If it’s allowed, I have a gun and bear spray in my truck and sometimes on my hip, If it’s not, then I dont.

Reactions: Desert Runner

DrewKD

Rank V

Influencer II

Pasadena CA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Dancel
Member #

I have a firearm with me when I camp. I camp a lot in the desert near the California/Mexico border. I go to places like Anza-Borrego and Joshua Tree. They have great offroading and dispersed camping here. However, Border Patrol is all over the place. If they feel that they have to patrol the area then you better believe that I will be armed. The last thing that I want is a run in with coyotes or trafficker's of any kind. It is best to be prepared and hope that the day never comes when you have to use that kind of force.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

" Chose wrong and .......you know the possible outcome. " I just think of "how I met your mother" You chose...........poorly!
That started off in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade when the bad guy chose the wrong chalice and the guardian said he chose...poorly. After that, Indy, obviously chooses...wisely.

How I met your mother plays off of that geekdom

Angel Rivera

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Spring, Texas, United States
First Name
Angel
Last Name
Rivera
Member #

Service Branch
DD-214 7th SFGA
engaging a wild predator is something I want to avoid at all costs. I’m the incursion into their domain. I keep track of my dogs for that same reason. I try not to leave anything out that will trigger their curiosity. At first sign, like someone said, I will grab a camera to take pics. Uneventful. You kill a bear, Fish and Game has to be called, they investigate and make a ruling. And you killed a bear who’s only crime was-being a bear. I say bear cause here in Alaska they can pop up on your property.

For people? I just saw this today... I am researching... i kinda like?

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

This happened in one of my favorite places in Nevada. (Article below) I’ve spent a lot of time hiking and hunting the Santa Rosa mountains. I’ve spent weeks up there checking out old gold mines, and trying to get pictures of amazing scenery and wildlife. Paradise Valley is an awesome little town and Anita puts on a great steak dinner at her bar every Saturday night.

Bad stuff happens in the least expected places. I don’t care where I am, if the lives of my family are put in danger I will be prepared to defend them. I will always have a firearm or 3 with me, as it is the most efficient tool I own for that job. Plus I just simply enjoy them. Especially my ar’s. I love the way they shoot.

I carry a spare and tire changing tools and I haven’t had a flat tire in years. I carry a first aid kit with no clue how to use most of it, and the inability to hold myself together at the sight of someone else’s blood. I carry a chainsaw and live in the desert. I may never need any of it. But what if...

Drug cartel's hidden Nevada pot farm seized

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

@ThundahBeagle can you please edit your post. @Autism Family Travels post has already brought to much attention to this thread. I would hate to see it locked and/or deleted.
Hold on, MRose...I respect you, and I respect your position here. However...YOU gave my comment a THUMBS UP!?!?! And when someone mentioned on a previous page they thought the thread should be deleted, you disagreed because everyone was being civil and not name calling. Was I not civil? Is there no room for civil, polite discussion among those who disagree? There are "What tire should I buy?" and "Are front lockers necessary or not?" threads that have gotten rougher than this.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Teaching people correct history is never “insulting” to people who don’t “have a ulterior motive” which most gun grabbers have in this type of thread. It has shown it’s motive in many of it’s posts, glad I am not the only one to notice, well said and good history lesson.
Thank you for the kind words, Freak