Who carrys a firearm with them while camping?

• HTML tutorial

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Something I’ve noticed is that most gun owners, and especially those of us in states like California, are nautically deficient. I’ve never heard of so many boating accidents in one group before. ;)
At least you still have a boat. I lost my boat to a rogue AK47.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Bear with me please, I havent read the whole thread yet. And I mean the following respectfully. However it struck me ass odd that you started a thread asking who carries a FIREARM and then proceeded to explain that you carry an AIR gun and nobody should ever carry firearm x. Then, still on the first page of the thread, at least 3 times also seeming to make back-handed remarks against those who do have a right and do decide to carry real guns. Then you hop on a soap box about what capacity mag should be allowed any time, anywhere. Calling people butthurt and all...

Obviously you have a right to your opinion. Also, I've seen many of your other posts and usually am in accordance with you, as we present each other here. So by no means is this an attack. Just want to hopefully illustrate why we have the freedoms and mindset we do in the USA.

The US Is a little different. Not perfect by any means, however, our Constitution provides the right to carry. That right is second only to the right to say what one wants and there is a reason it was put there. These concepts might be old hat, or status quo to people today but that was not the case when this land was ruled by the British back in the 16 and 1700's. Without that Second Amendment (and granted, a lot of help from the French), the US wouldn't exist as it is. The purpose of our second amendment is not to allow farmers and trappers to hunt. That was a given back in the day. It's real purpose was to allow people the ability to not only hunt or defend themselves, but to also band together and stand up against an oppressive government that has a well trained standing army.

Therefore, this has been the culture in which we grew up as a nation and as individuals.

Remember, the British government at the time - and even now - expected to make its subjects more docile by disarmament. In some cases, even having any metal was forbidden. To this day you cant carry a locking blade on a Leatherman or locking Swiss Army knife in the UK, without an express reason. Workmen have to remove tools and blades from their belts just to stop in and have a quick unch at a restaurant...

Remember also that it wasn't USA vs the British Empire in 1776. Those people who stood up against the British were actually British subjects in a British colony, conducting illegal acts against their own government. Look up not only the Battle of Lexington and Concord but also Leslie's Retreat, which happened in and around Salem Massachusetts before Lexington and Concord. How long did it take India, Canada, or Scotland to become independent? That just wasn't the way it went on over here.

Anyone who thinks "well, this kind of oppression couldn't happen today" hasn't been paying attention lately.

I live in Massachusetts. In the US, you would be hard pressed to find a state more gun-restructive than this one. Yet I have had my class A License to Carry Firearms here since 1990 with. And i agree with you on various individual points: There is no reason someone should be carrying their AR-15 into a public school or slung over their shoulder at a coffee shop. And I agree with you wherein a hunter doesnt need a 30-round mag to properly hunt deer and so on. However, you absolutely miss the whole reason we have the right, when you say it should only be for hunting and target practice.

It just seems like you were bating people, asking and inviting them to speak about firearms, and then turning around getting on a high horse about your air gun and how nobody should carry this or that firearm.

By the way, despite being licensed, i also dont carry a firearm when I am camping in this state, nor in any state in which I am not licensed. I want to be able to kayak, which may land me in water. And we cannot leave our firearms unattended or even locked in a lockbox in a locked car, so it seems best to leave them locked at home.

Sorry if I havent gotten to some other posts in this thread yet. This just hit me as snide and I wanted to remark and maybe she'd light on what formed our mindset and laws over here.

No offense intended
Well said, thank you.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Bear with me please, I havent read the whole thread yet. And I mean the following respectfully. However it struck me ass odd that you started a thread asking who carries a FIREARM and then proceeded to explain that you carry an AIR gun and nobody should ever carry firearm x. Then, still on the first page of the thread, at least 3 times also seeming to make back-handed remarks against those who do have a right and do decide to carry real guns. Then you hop on a soap box about what capacity mag should be allowed any time, anywhere. Calling people butthurt and all...

Obviously you have a right to your opinion. Also, I've seen many of your other posts and usually am in accordance with you, as we present each other here. So by no means is this an attack. Just want to hopefully illustrate why we have the freedoms and mindset we do in the USA.

The US Is a little different. Not perfect by any means, however, our Constitution provides the right to carry. That right is second only to the right to say what one wants and there is a reason it was put there. These concepts might be old hat, or status quo to people today but that was not the case when this land was ruled by the British back in the 16 and 1700's. Without that Second Amendment (and granted, a lot of help from the French), the US wouldn't exist as it is. The purpose of our second amendment is not to allow farmers and trappers to hunt. That was a given back in the day. It's real purpose was to allow people the ability to not only hunt or defend themselves, but to also band together and stand up against an oppressive government that has a well trained standing army.

Therefore, this has been the culture in which we grew up as a nation and as individuals.

Remember, the British government at the time - and even now - expected to make its subjects more docile by disarmament. In some cases, even having any metal was forbidden. To this day you cant carry a locking blade on a Leatherman or locking Swiss Army knife in the UK, without an express reason. Workmen have to remove tools and blades from their belts just to stop in and have a quick unch at a restaurant...

Remember also that it wasn't USA vs the British Empire in 1776. Those people who stood up against the British were actually British subjects in a British colony, conducting illegal acts against their own government. Look up not only the Battle of Lexington and Concord but also Leslie's Retreat, which happened in and around Salem Massachusetts before Lexington and Concord. How long did it take India, Canada, or Scotland to become independent? That just wasn't the way it went on over here.

Anyone who thinks "well, this kind of oppression couldn't happen today" hasn't been paying attention lately.

I live in Massachusetts. In the US, you would be hard pressed to find a state more gun-restructive than this one. Yet I have had my class A License to Carry Firearms here since 1990 with. And i agree with you on various individual points: There is no reason someone should be carrying their AR-15 into a public school or slung over their shoulder at a coffee shop. And I agree with you wherein a hunter doesnt need a 30-round mag to properly hunt deer and so on. However, you absolutely miss the whole reason we have the right, when you say it should only be for hunting and target practice.

It just seems like you were bating people, asking and inviting them to speak about firearms, and then turning around getting on a high horse about your air gun and how nobody should carry this or that firearm.

By the way, despite being licensed, i also dont carry a firearm when I am camping in this state, nor in any state in which I am not licensed. I want to be able to kayak, which may land me in water. And we cannot leave our firearms unattended or even locked in a lockbox in a locked car, so it seems best to leave them locked at home.

Sorry if I havent gotten to some other posts in this thread yet. This just hit me as snide and I wanted to remark and maybe she'd light on what formed our mindset and laws over here.

No offense intended
Well said, thank you.
What he said^

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
I didn't read the whole thread, but I did read 1st page.
OP asks about firearms because it seems bear activity is increasing.
Then OP goes on to think he/she should acquire an airgun.
Hmmmm......yeah anyone that knows anything about bears wouldn't waste their time with an airgun (may have already been said)

We don't usually take a firearm to developed, busy camping areas.
We always take firearms to more isolated camping areas. Both for protection and to get some practice in.

God bless America!

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
I pretty much take firearms everywhere I go. Camping wether in a campground or in the sticks I carry. Road trip carry there too. Hell I have a gun when I go the grocery store. It’s the only one I have after the kraken wars. I’m not about to let it out of my sight.
I have a CPL, and I have actually been carrying more frequently than usual because people have become extra weird these last 12 months.

I really dislike people from other countries offering their criticism of the USA. We have a very diverse population here, and some serious social issues that manifest themselves in violence way too frequently.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
absolute minimum I would feel I had a fighting chance. 10mm Underwood Extreme Penetrator. And that’s the backup. Primary 12 gauge Black Magic Magnum(1 3/8 Oz sabot type round ant 1200 ft per second) or a 45-70.

View attachment 191487
I love your Witness... I have one chambered in .357 Sig, 45 ACP, and .22lr all on the same frame.

Angel Rivera

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Spring, Texas, United States
First Name
Angel
Last Name
Rivera
Member #

Service Branch
DD-214 7th SFGA
I love your Witness... I have one chambered in .357 Sig, 45 ACP, and .22lr all on the same frame.
Thank you. I love it with the extreme penetrator. I used to carry a Toklat in .454 Casull which is bad to the bone, but hurts and only has 6 rounds. But 400 grains is devastating.

• Love
Reactions: M Rose and Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
.454 Casull
My goto in the land o' the bears - but in the 7.5" barrel length. Practice with .45 LC which is tame through that heavy frame. Have a matching lever gun which currently has a broken off shell casing stuck in the chamber :(
She do pack a punch don't she? :)

I should say "had" - that was before the gun safe fell overboard on that unfortunate halibut fishing expedition.

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
My goto in the land o' the bears - but in the 7.5" barrel length. Practice with .45 LC which is tame through that heavy frame. Have a matching lever gun which currently has a broken off shell casing stuck in the chamber :(

I should say "had" - that was before the gun safe fell overboard on that unfortunate halibut fishing expedition.
With all these boating accidents this past year. Adventures With A Purpose will be busy for the next 30 years.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
this gun legislation does nothing to lower gun crime rates. Criminals do not buy registered guns nor do they register said firearm. The only thing this does is make some people sleep better at night. Ignorance is bliss.
Correct, the culture needs to change. Criminals however, rarely, very rarely, in fact never, partake in mass killings, nor are criminals killing folks during a crime of passion. It’s always the guy/gal or kids that have zero criminal record. Criminals, on the other hand, generally end up killing one another, unfortunately with occasional collateral damage.

Angel Rivera

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Spring, Texas, United States
First Name
Angel
Last Name
Rivera
Member #

Service Branch
DD-214 7th SFGA

Casull is no joke. But as I approach 70, it’s a hard round at bear loads.
I also think .45LC is a nice round. If yours can take advantage of +p round, Buffalo Bore has a 325 grain flat nose that is really nice.
The pandemic had me going on the water alone... a rogue wave... well... I’m sure we’ve a;l been through that.