Who carrys a firearm with them while camping?

• HTML tutorial

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
Exactly. To bad America could not get on board and do the same thing. We just banned all ar-15 style crap up here too. No need to have stuff like that. Airguns are fine as you can't really kill anyone in mass quantities with those. I have 6 firearms, 2 30-06, 12 shotguns and 2 .22 cal for hunting. They are safe as they are a tool for gathering food. For shooting target practice and fun, airguns are the deal for that since you can have fun in realitve safety.
You have the luxury of a good neighbor across your border, we do not.

Here's some of what we put up with here in AZ...

illegal_immigration_sign.jpg

DesertSign004.jpg

As for your comments about AR-15 crap and not being needed, you do just that and use your airguns and we'll do as we want down here. Remember we became citizens and you're still subjects for a reason.

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
Depends where I go, but mostly, yes, both a rifle and a pistol.

Down here in Texas, National Parks have serious cartel issues....and accidentally running into a smuggling group is bad news. At Big Bend NP, they have spotters up in the Chisos Mountains directing smuggling teams. Shots have been known to be fired to send a message to anyone getting too close. When I lived back in Pennsylvania, it was roaming meth labs cooking in the forest.

First time I went to Big Bend, I was way out and met a BP officer in full tactical gear. I rolled down my window to say hi and thanks for being there for all of us. His first question was "what are you doing out here?" second was "you got a gun?" When I said "yes, probably better stuff than you have" , he replied "well, ok then...have a good day" and drove off.
Starr County is bad too. A friend that I went to college with had a run in there after starting is wildlife business.

Mr.RoadWarrior

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Houston, Texas
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Rosner
One time I was in New Orleans....a vagrant was very aggressively asking me for money, I refused....
He was a bit bigger than me and he says "what I just took it off you?"...
..."well, can you run?" I asked. He says "Sure, and faster than you".
..."can you run 1500 ft/sec?" I asked... took him a few minutes before he got it. "You have a nice day, sir"

true story.

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
One time I was in New Orleans....a vagrant was very aggressively asking me for money, I refused....
He was a bit bigger than me and he says "what I just took it off you?"...
..."well, can you run?" I asked. He says "Sure, and faster than you".
..."can you run 1500 ft/sec?" I asked... took him a few minutes before he got it. "You have a nice day, sir"

true story.
LOL

Reactions: 64Trvlr

peeeeetey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harrisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Meuser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WREL270
Yes except when I forget it. Also have to know where you are traveling as to rules. "Oh officer it is in the back of the car SOMEWHERE " still doesn't cut it in some states. Could make for a bad trip.

ChambersFamily

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Plains, OR, USA
First Name
Marshall
Last Name
Chambers
Member #

I've had some odd encounters in the middle of BLM oregon, came across a airplane tied to a rock? Odd's are it was out of fuel... but wasn't going to hang around to find out. Another time I was about 50 miles from the nearest highway, woke up to a Jeep parked about 20' from my truck nobody in it.... Either I was sleeping HEAVY or it was electric haha because I don't know how it snuck up on me. Regardless... Yeah... I carry :tearsofjoy:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I do, in rural areas it can be the Wild West at a moment notice.
I think the cities are much more dangerous. Yes we rural people carry guns all the time to protect us from the citified thugs who roam the rural areas looking for easy pray. We dont have police protection and so we fend for ourselves as necessary. Funny thing is the skum bags know they wont get away with anything out here in the boon dock and so we have very little major crime.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Starr County is bad too. A friend that I went to college with had a run in there after starting is wildlife business.
There is no safe place in America any more unless your on top of Mt Baldy, even then carry a weapon of choice. Be prepared as my Boy Scout leader taught me.

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

My wife was reading this thread and the trip to IRAN does not sound so crazy anymore, looks like it is much safer than US. I just have to be careful she does not come out from tent in a mini skirt or something like that and we are good.. :)
Actually there the highest risk is related to the US attacking Iran right in the middle of my holiday.....:grinning:

• Haha
Reactions: grubworm

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
And where do these weapons come from. NOT ALL FROM USA. just last month 4 AR 15s were stolen from a legal gun owner in NS. SO....YES this DOES keep Canadians safer. Sorry AR owners are butthurt. Get pellet versions...they offer the same feel, however the dont go bang.
Keep your ”regs” to yourselves up north, we have this piece of paper called the US Constitution. Your “holier” than thou attitude sucks.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Again. Hi cap magazines have no place either. If you can't take down an animal with 3 shots take up knitting. Anyways. I know there will be lots of crying about people having their black guns taken away. That's not what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about protection from real threats like a bear in your campsite. The 50 cal airgun seems like a dandy choice.
What about life and liberty, that is what the constitution allows for. Hunting was never mentioned in the 2nd amendment. All I can say is i'm damn glad to be an American and not a Canadian citizen. This has nothing to do with you my friend and neighbor, it's about governments.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
Man can we keep the politics out this, the US and Canada are 2 vastly different countries. Firearms law in Canada is largely driven by eastern urban dwellers who have never handled any type pf firearm. They have a very misguided opinion thanks a "progressive" press, anti-gun groups and politicians banning guns will stop massacre's and gang violence. (over 90% of firearms issues in Canada by the way). The numbers are incredibly low, 695 in 2018 for the entire country from all causes including suicide. And not one homicide committed by a legal gun owner.

@Autism Family Travels the 3 round limit is for ducking hunting and shotguns, nothing else. And just to clarify a hi-capacity magazine is generally considered anything over 20 rounds, at least from rifle point of view And so you are aware the Canadian Firearms law is so convoluted and contradictory pretty much only firearms' owners understand it and only as it pertains them, as failing to the follow the law can lead to significant jailtime and loss of property.

A perfect example

Centerfire semi-auto rifles are restricted to 5 rounds the Garand was exempted and allowed a full enbloc of 8
Semi auto shotguns are restricted to 5 rounds are common, including magazine fed
Pump shotguns are not limited 5 to 11 rounds are common. (tube and mag fed)
Centerfire bolt action guns are also not restricted you can put a 20 round magazine in your Mauser or Enfield if you so wish
Rim fire .22 cal semi-auto have no magazine restrictions 100 rounds if you want

And one more my shotgun has a 14 inch barrel from the factory perfectly legal
If I change from an 18in factory barrel to a 14 inch or even 12 inch factory barrel also legal
If I cut an 18 barrel to 14 inches it is a prohibited device which can get me 14 years in prison

For the US readers owning a firearm for self defense from people is not legal in Canada, except for police. They have been used for that purpose but the legal bills are staggering, and it has to be very clear cut to avoid prison and even then you may not. Of course gang members do not care about the law.

So please lets keep this on topic, if you prefer not to use firearms that is fine. I however prefer to have my shotgun with me, I have never needed to discharge it but there have been a couple of bear encounter's that could have gone bad. The shotgun gave me an option.

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

hey Canadiens, can you help me and answer if Ruger PC Pistol Caliber Carbine 9-mm is allowed in Canada?

Thanks

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@phlfly yes at least so far but they are a bit complicated, only 10 rnd magazine. I have only seen the basic carbine for sale, so there may be issues with more "tactical" variants

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

@phlfly yes at least so far but they are a bit complicated, only 10 rnd magazine. I have only seen the basic carbine for sale, so there may be issues with more "tactical" variants
that is planned I thought to buy none tactical one, so it can allow me travel a little more save from wild life with family. At least something. I hope never to use, but pass Quebec is all open on own.