Who carrys a firearm with them while camping?

• HTML tutorial

510Steve

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Leandro, California, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
YSL
Member #

I recently moved to AZ a year ago last April. (Open Carry / no license required). Went to the Expo in Flagstaff with some OB members from SW Region, many from southern CA. They didn't seem to appreciate my camo clothes or the fact that I was concealed carrying. I was asked if I was armed and when I showed they freaked. Needless to say I was not appreciated for my efforts from then on by those few. Nice to know not all people have such a narrow perspective. I got your back, if ever you need me.

I am trained and a card carrying IDPA shooter. But I am having trouble finding others in my area who share my methods / motives...
Very weird. Up here in Nor-Cal, most of the "overlanders" may not wear camo, but they typically are carrying when in remote destinations... Luckily we all have our fishing license and on our way to fish or are to returning from fishing....

Confusing statement? I bet since you're from AZ, I'll throw you a link to PC 25640.
Law section

Reactions: Pranqster

Trigger T4R

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Inland Empire, CA, USA
First Name
Lance
Last Name
:
Member #

Ha! Far from it my friend, think again. I just prefer not to give away my first element of self defense, surprise! #wwg1wga #igy6

Last edited by a moderator:

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Huelsman
- Glock 20, streamlight TLR 1000lumen light, 1 magazine loaded w/ 220gr hard cast in chest holster, 1 magazine for 2-legged
-12ga semi-auto bullpup shotgun loaded w/ 1 magazine of slugs, 1 magazine of 00 buck as camp gun.

Reactions: Downs and MiamiC70

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I've never owned a gun in my life, until this year. Going out camping alone most of the time I just felt like it was time to feel a bit more comfortable when I'm out there. Not that I was ever really concerned much before, but I felt it couldn't hurt to be better prepared. I purchased a Glock 48. I keep it within reach when I'm sleeping, but it's generally locked up during the day time-there isn't much wildlife risk out here in the mid-atlantic.

Reactions: 510Steve

LD5050

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Longview, Texas, USA
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

I’m from Texas, so... yeah. Normally on excursions here in the South, we keep a cheap S&W 9mm handgun in the truck.
Growing up with firearms (responsibly), we’ve never had issues with safety or proper usage. “Always be prepared” isn’t only for Boy Scouts:grinning:

Loctite

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Lawrenceburg, TN, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Gulley
Member #

Who carrys a firearm with you for protection while camping? I have not in the past, however, bear activity seems to be increasing around the areas I camp in the past little while.
I need to. I got a few but I feel like I need to be way more damiliar with my side arm before carrying it around. If a life ir death situation presents itself I want to be confident enough that its second nature.

510Steve

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Leandro, California, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
YSL
Member #

I need to. I got a few but I feel like I need to be way more damiliar with my side arm before carrying it around. If a life ir death situation presents itself I want to be confident enough that its second nature.
Training helps tremendously with this. My wife never handled firearms much growing up and was very uncomfortable intially with my firearms.
After a couple of women only training classes and going shooting on a bi-weekly basis together, she now understands that guns are tools. They aren't some scary thing that can magically go off and kill people.
It is a tool and it needs to be treated with the respect it deserves because it can be dangerous if mishandled.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I recently moved to AZ a year ago last April. (Open Carry / no license required). Went to the Expo in Flagstaff with some OB members from SW Region, many from southern CA. They didn't seem to appreciate my camo clothes or the fact that I was concealed carrying. I was asked if I was armed and when I showed they freaked. Needless to say I was not appreciated for my efforts from then on by those few. Nice to know not all people have such a narrow perspective. I got your back, if ever you need me.

I am trained and a card carrying IDPA shooter. But I am having trouble finding others in my area who share my methods / motives...
Just to add in AZ you can carry concealed with no permit too.

Concealed means concealed, I don't understand why you would show strangers you are carrying?

I'm the only one that know if and when I'm carrying.

Ben_in_ILM

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Myrtle Grove, NC
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jensen
Member #

Yes to the original post question. It went off the rails pretty quickly. But who knew it wouldn't? Spirited debates are good.

Reactions: Loctite

Chuckem12

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

South Florida
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Mike
Member #

Growing up in the north west, we always had at least a 30-30 lever with us when camping. Never knew what kind of surprises (2 or 4 legged) would pop up. Now, living in the south east, its at least a 9mm pistol..... (also for the 2 and 4 legged ones)

Reactions: MiamiC70

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Just a consideration for the future, IMO concealed means concealed. It's not someone's business if I'm carrying unless it's an LEO or the person who owns the property I'm currently on. In either case under no circumstances would I show either unless it's requested by a cop.

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
Well if food prices and empty shelves don't stop then I may need to borrow one of your cards or you could just FedEx me a loaf.