Sunnyvale, CA
First Name
Simon
Last Name
Wolfe
Member #

My 2016 4Runner placement!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Hello, can you tell me about the antenna mount and how you ran the cable? I have a friend that got a new SUV (not an overlander) and is looking to mount a ham radio in it. BUT, the thought of drilling a hole is a bit nerve racking to him at the moment (actually, I think it isn't so much drilling the hole. It is more of what his wife will do to him for drilling the hole.).

Trail Wonky

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bellingham WA
Member #

Hello, can you tell me about the antenna mount and how you ran the cable? I have a friend that got a new SUV (not an overlander) and is looking to mount a ham radio in it. BUT, the thought of drilling a hole is a bit nerve racking to him at the moment (actually, I think it isn't so much drilling the hole. It is more of what his wife will do to him for drilling the hole.).
I used a Super Gainer clamp mount, which can be clamped on any edge of a trunk lid or hatch back door. There is enough gap for the cable to run behind the door but outside the rubber door seal. It then enters the vehicle through a rubber gasket along with the wire harness that powers everything in the door. It runs under the back of the headliner and down the rear corner then the normal route to the front dashboard. I will try and post a pic or two. Ciao!

Simon Wolfe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sunnyvale, CA
First Name
Simon
Last Name
Wolfe
Member #

I used a Super Gainer clamp mount, which can be clamped on any edge of a trunk lid or hatch back door. There is enough gap for the cable to run behind the door but outside the rubber door seal. It then enters the vehicle through a rubber gasket along with the wire harness that powers everything in the door. It runs under the back of the headliner and down the rear corner then the normal route to the front dashboard. I will try and post a pic or two. Ciao!

Very Cool, Thanks for the info!

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Ronks, PA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

The browning sticker is cause I'm a bow hunter but mostly cause I hit and killed a huge buck and didn't sustain hardly any damage to the old hummer. Blew the antlers rite off that buck tho lol.
Paramedic Steve
HAHHA! Me too!!! I actually have a new Matthews bow as of yesterday and pretty set up now for deer hunting in MA. I just took the silly hunter safety course to get my license since I moved here late last year (and still back and forth out west). Yeah, this is one reason I have the ARB front bumper, but hopefully I don't have to use it. Hope to meet you at the upcoming meet and greets and kick off on April 01.

Carnivore

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Blue Quill, Edmonton, AB, Canada
First Name
JPD
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
Infantry vet. 88-03
The weather was taking too long to warm up so I went with the next best thing. Seeing as how it goes with us whenever we leave town, it was only logical. The stainless Coleman cooler, naturally.

(We're also contemplating a different vehicle in the near future)

20170306_033348.jpg

John
OB3411

Reactions: Suzuki14258