What's your MPG (fuel economy) on the road.

• HTML tutorial

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Around town, I average 12/13 On long road trips, at 70ish, I get about 16/17. This is based on the trip computer, not sure if its accurate.

Heavy jeep, on 35 with 4.10 gears.

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X that's pretty much stock (I have a snorkle, which actually increased my mpg about a mile or two) ... I get about 17 mpg and drive a mix of hwy/city (and I'm generally driving like I just stole it). Pure highway, I generally settle in about 65 mph and I'll get about 21 mpg ... I will soon be redoing the suspension, adding a 3" suspension lift, 33" tires and armor front, back and underneath. It will be interesting to see what it does to my mpg.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
2004 Jeep TJ - 27 mpg on BFG KO2's (30X9.5X15) at 70 mph
wait a minute. I had an 04 TJ. Loaded down with all our expo gear we were lucky to crack 11 MPG. empty back and forth to work, 54 mile round trip on country roads I might crack 14 MPG on a good day with a tail wind. And, all this was being lightfooted. How in the world are you getting 27 mpg? 17 with a four cylinder I can believe, but 27? Miles? Kilometers maybe.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Hmmm, I'm getting 17.3. Makes me wonder. You do know if you go to oversized tires you need to change the speedo gear not only for the speedometer but the odometer? That way you get the correct miles traveled. I did put in 2" exhaust and k&n air filter and reset the fuel trim. So like Egans truck, after throwing the 35's on which are what 2 sizes over stock? And didn't change the speedo gear, his odometer is going to show less miles traveled. So if your Gps is showing 5 mph over your speedo the odometer is off like 11% (that's what I have read not sure if it is exact). Which is a lot of miles your not calculating into your fuel calculation. It's just hard for me to believe my jeep is getting better or the same gas mileage as a Toyota like Steves rig is. Something's wrong I can feel it :}.
The next things on my agenda for fuel consumption are locking hubs, Electric fan and a header. In that order.
yes, hoping most folks understand that it is between 5 and 6% per inch over stock.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
When we have our '96 80 series loaded down and with trailer it scales out at just a bit over 8,000 lbs. 285/75/16s with 3"s of lift. Adding 6% per inch larger tire than stock and checking that with gps, we got 12mpg on our last 8,240 mile round trip, keeping it under 70 mph with cruise control. Before hitting trails we add more H20 and gasoline so it's nearly 8500 lbs, and still we get 11 or 12 on the trail. When empty just runnin around local it gets a whopping 13 mpg. I keep very close track of mpgs. With 285k miles on the engine, MPGs dropping off is my canary in the coal mine. I look at it this way. Spending $1700 for fuel is a whole lot cheaper than going to Disneyland, resorts, or cruise ships and going where we go is a whole lot more fun.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

DieselPilot

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Georgia and Florida
Member #

Ram 2500 with 6.7
I calculate by hand and with app , average mpg over 21,000 miles is 17.9 mpg
19.7 on highway at 70 mph fully loaded
21-22 mpg at 60mph
13-14 in town or on trail
Icon level kit on Skinny 35's
with winch bumper.
no roof rack or anything above cab height.

Whiteknuckler

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine, Ca.
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6VBG
wait a minute. I had an 04 TJ. Loaded down with all our expo gear we were lucky to crack 11 MPG. empty back and forth to work, 54 mile round trip on country roads I might crack 14 MPG on a good day with a tail wind. And, all this was being lightfooted. How in the world are you getting 27 mpg? 17 with a four cylinder I can believe, but 27? Miles? Kilometers maybe.
I have a Scan Gauge II that reads the OB II that reads 15 perimeters of your auto system 4 at a time i usually show Mpg/Radiator temp/Tranny temp and Engine load - So on level ground - 70 mph - the Mpg indicator shows 27

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I have a Scan Gauge II that reads the OB II that reads 15 perimeters of your auto system 4 at a time i usually show Mpg/Radiator temp/Tranny temp and Engine load - So on level ground - 70 mph - the Mpg indicator shows 27
Have you checked the speedo with a GPS. If your OBDII has bad information, such as size of tires, so will your Scan Gaige II.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
My wife likes to speed. I changed the sire size setting, so she thinkgs she is driving faster then she is. I know my jeeps: Speedo, Fuel economy, mileage, everything is off...

• Haha
Reactions: Sparksalot

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

I just went to Louisiana last week in the Ram (2016, 5.7 Hemi, 4x4 Crew Cab).

I got 21 / 22 on the trip hand calculated and with the computer ( it was on the money). I was amazed it did that well, but it was literally ALL Interstate except a few miles.

Still, that's incredible to me...

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Not to pick an argument, I just want to help you out here. I drove 18 wheelers for 25 years, since about the mid-90s our power units had the oem software that kept close track of MPG, speed, distance, engine temps, exhaust temp, turbo pressure, etc etc etc. Often times my instant readout of MPG would show 30,40, 50 and even higher on the downhill. On the flat sometimes as much as 15 or 16 MPG. That's far from what the reality was as the power units were lucky to average 6.8 MPG. And yes, companies keep track of it in tenths of a gallon. In reality, you are getting between 14 and 17 mpg. If you are doing 70mph in any wrangler drop those numbers down to 10 to 13 MPG.

Last edited:

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I just went to Louisiana last week in the Ram (2016, 5.7 Hemi, 4x4 Crew Cab).

I got 21 / 22 on the trip hand calculated and with the computer ( it was on the money). I was amazed it did that well, but it was literally ALL Interstate except a few miles.

Still, that's incredible to me...
That is really good. Flat roads all the way. Is that one of those engines that shut down cylinders until they are needed for pulling power?

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I'm driving a 2014 Toyota Tacoma double cab short bed. 265/75 R16 tires, 3" Bilstein/OME lift, and an ARE cap. For a while I had a roof top tent and awning mounted on my cap. Now on to the fuel economy.

I've found that regardless of the roof top tent and awning which I have since sold, I average around 17.5 MPG with a mix of city and highway driving. On my cross country trip from Pennsylvania to Arizona for Overland Expo, I got up to 21 MPG going west across Tennessee on I40. But coming back across the center of the country on I70 I was getting as little as 14 MPG. That confuses me because it seemed very flat coming back east on I70. The only thing I can think of that would have caused the change in fuel economy is possibly a head wind, or bad batch of gas across the mid-west.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I'm driving a 2014 Toyota Tacoma double cab short bed. 265/75 R16 tires, 3" Bilstein/OME lift, and an ARE cap. For a while I had a roof top tent and awning mounted on my cap. Now on to the fuel economy.

I've found that regardless of the roof top tent and awning which I have since sold, I average around 17.5 MPG with a mix of city and highway driving. On my cross country trip from Pennsylvania to Arizona for Overland Expo, I got up to 21 MPG going west across Tennessee on I40. But coming back across the center of the country on I70 I was getting as little as 14 MPG. That confuses me because it seemed very flat coming back east on I70. The only thing I can think of that would have caused the change in fuel economy is possibly a head wind, or bad batch of gas across the mid-west.
I have learned to avoid fueling up in Missouri . I do know that higher ethanol content leads to lower MPG. As much as 20% lower and Mo, has a very high concentrate of ethanol

Reactions: dziner