What's your latest camping gear purchase, and what caused you to buy it?

• HTML tutorial

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Go to any hardware store and get those 12 " long nails, I like the galvanized. They work in all conditions and pretty cheap. I have a friend that get 3/16 rebar and heat and bends them 90*. He goes with 12" and 18" long.
Yeah, I've used both from others...not a fan of the nails, though I appreciate the suggestion, as having no hook in some applications let's your guy line come off if a downwind gives it some slack, no matter how steep an angle.

I liked the rebar, but for it's roughness on line, and may get some 3/8 to heat and bend for extreme weather, though I doubt my propane torch is hot enough. I've got it in my head I want more like the thick Oztent stakes that have worked so well for me. I know they're available somewhere.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Yeah, I've used both from others...not a fan of the nails, though I appreciate the suggestion, as having no hook in some applications let's your guy line come off if a downwind gives it some slack, no matter how steep an angle.

I liked the rebar, but for it's roughness on line, and may get some 3/8 to heat and bend for extreme weather, though I doubt my propane torch is hot enough. I've got it in my head I want more like the thick Oztent stakes that have worked so well for me. I know they're available somewhere.
A MAP touch work well on rebar. As for the nail I usually do a loop around the nail if I am concerned about it coming off.

Reactions: Road

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

5 meter canvas bell tent. Not the lightest or fastest to set up but when the wife wants comfort and amenities of home on our trips I must comply if I'm going to keep her as an adventure companion. Plus she supports my crazy ideas/ adventures lol.
I've seen a few of those, or very similar, when out camping around the country, and would love to check one out in person, as well as help set one up. I haven't explored who sells them or the range of possibilities, but wonder what the dims of the packed load is for yours, and if it is something you've found quicker/easier to set up over time or if it is always a bit of a chore.

Looks like a great basecamp set up, old-style and almost teepee like in interior space, and one easily suited to be adapted to cold-weather camping, too. There was a guy that did some 4wd van-camping and long winter camps in Ontario, I think, that used something similar, with a wood-burning stove with stovepipe going up through the tent roof that just looked so appealing. Though I wondered how much of a package to lug around and set up, especially if on the move.

South_Puget_Sound_OL

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Roy, WA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Pinick
Member #

5 meter canvas bell tent. Not the lightest or fastest to set up but when the wife wants comfort and amenities of home on our trips I must comply if I'm going to keep her as an adventure companion. Plus she supports my crazy ideas/ adventures lol.
I've seen a few of those, or very similar, when out camping around the country, and would love to check one out in person, as well as help set one up. I haven't explored who sells them or the range of possibilities, but wonder what the dims of the packed load is for yours, and if it is something you've found quicker/easier to set up over time or if it is always a bit of a chore.

Looks like a great basecamp set up, old-style and almost teepee like in interior space, and one easily suited to be adapted to cold-weather camping, too. There was a guy that did some 4wd van-camping and long winter camps in Ontario, I think, that used something similar, with a wood-burning stove with stovepipe going up through the tent roof that just looked so appealing. Though I wondered how much of a package to lug around and set up, especially if on the move.
Well just so you know it weighs 66lbs and has a packed dimension of 13"×13" ×40". Not the smallest. I wouldn't try and put it on the roof rack for transportation. The brand is Glamcamp and I found it on Amazon for under $600. It's a 4 season canvas tent with the stove jack. It has a very thick tarp floor. It comes with 2 different types of stakes. Your standard tent stake to hold the floor stretched out and heavy spikes for stretching the main body of the tent out. Im thinking of upgrading the small stakes. I have only set it up in the yard as a practice run for our trip in July but it takes about 20 to 30 mins to set up and tear down. Might be a faster process but only time will tell. 1 person can set it up but 2 makes it faster and easier.

Attachments

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Well just so you know it weighs 66lbs and has a packed dimension of 13"×13" ×40". Not the smallest. I wouldn't try and put it on the roof rack for transportation. The brand is Glamcamp and I found it on Amazon for under $600. It's a 4 season canvas tent with the stove jack. It has a very thick tarp floor. It comes with 2 different types of stakes. Your standard tent stake to hold the floor stretched out and heavy spikes for stretching the main body of the tent out. Im thinking of upgrading the small stakes. I have only set it up in the yard as a practice run for our trip in July but it takes about 20 to 30 mins to set up and tear down. Might be a faster process but only time will tell. 1 person can set it up but 2 makes it faster and easier.
Interesting. I thought it must be a larger packed size, though half-expected that weight.

My Oztent RV-5, that I think is now sold, weighs a little less at 54lbs, though packed size is twice as long, at 11"x15"x 80″L.

Thanks for the details, and I hope you get a lot of great use out of it!

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Had an emergency “open air office visit” on a trip a few months back and decided a pop up privacy tent was a must moving forward. It easily proved its worth on the following trip lol
I think it was like 8$
And the ceiling leaks a little in the rain...

Attachments

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Just ordered 4 mtm crates from cabela's. 2 8in deep totes and 2 5in deep totes.

Planning on getting two 56 planos and maybe a 108qt for sleeping gear for the fam.

Gavin Ryan-Massa

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Orange County, California, United States
First Name
Gavin
Last Name
Ryan-Massa
Member #

Finally got my drawer system all set up. If your in the Orange County area @overlanderwoodworks on Instagram is his name. I was looking to have a more efficient set up when it came to grilling. Instead of grilling on top of my plastic pelican cases and having them slowly melt away; as well as having no space in my trunk area. This drawer system was NEEDED. The organization is key and I also have more access to underneath cargo storage that I never utilized prior

Attachments

Vera Petty

Rank 0

Contributor I

QLD, 澳大利亚
First Name
Vera
Last Name
Petty
The most recent purchase was the Woody Dutch Oven which is a square aluminum dutch oven which is, essentially, also two square 9 inch fry pans. These are "legendary" ovens from the canoe crowd and I am in the process of lightening up my kit for use in the JKU. I am still playing with it so don't have my mind made up on it yet.
I found one fire pit that is really awesome, I like it very much.
It contains four pieces, flat-packed.

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I just picked up the new Snow Peak Floga that fits on the large Snow Peak Takibi. First video is up for the unboxing and will post first burn soon. If you are unfamiliar it is an attachment that regasifies the unburned carbon in the pit using heated air and I am hoping it will be similar to the Solo Stove effect. If you want to check out the unboxing you can check this video out.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Mine isn't that exciting, but a 10lb propane tank with a steel braided, 5' extension hose...LOL the excitement never stops! :D
Sometimes, it's the nonly so glamorous things that make the biggest difference. My 5lb tank made life so much easier.

My latest purchase is going to turn into a very fun, and useful project.

IMG_20210619_113820.jpg

I'm going to be building myself an expedition trailer!

Feel free to follow along if you want here:

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Just bought, with today's Prime Day deals, more of these three items; all of which I've owned and have experience with, so am getting more.

lifestraw-personal-2pk-675.jpg
- 2-pack of LifeStraw Personal Water Filters.

I paid 12.50 for 1 over four years ago, and these are 2/19.98.
A good deal when most outdoor recreation items are going up in price.
I'll keep these in different places for different back country activities; one in my canoe day pack, one in my bike pack.

wirefy-275-heat-shrink-750.jpg
- 275pc Wirefy heat-shrink tubing kit, 3:1dual wall, adhesive lined, marine grade, at 11.19.

Decent value for decent heat-shrink.
Some reviewers said they found some of the black wasn't quite up to par, though that has not been my experience.
I have solar and other wiring projects coming up, and when done with those, will keep this in my van for adventuring.

tire-deflator-godeson-brass-750.jpg
- Solid brass Godeson Tire Deflator - coupla bucks off at 10.39

I've had the aluminum version of this for years and love it, so am treating myself to this nice brass one to celebrate 1st day of summer.
Screw one section on your first tire, then the next, all the way 'round. By the time you're back to the first tire it's time to remove it and check your pressure.
It's always within reach and is the air-down tool I reach for first, even though I have ARB and BoulderTools tire deflators, too.

Overall, not a bad little haul for forty bucks and change.

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

The first burn of my new Snow Peak Floga and this thing works as advertised. It is a great addition to the large pack and carry pit (or large Takibi as they call it now) and would recommend to anyone who has one. You may have noticed I preach light weight and efficient packing so the only downside I see for overlanding is the 10.58# weight and the fact it is a bit bulky. The video is here if you want to check it out.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
ICECO VL45Pro S should be here today
I noticed they came out with some new models. I plugged the vl70 dimensions into the program I'm designing my trailer in, and what do you know.... It fits! Lol. Not that I need that right now....

Congrats on the fridge!

Reactions: MiamiC70