What's your latest camping gear purchase, and what caused you to buy it?

• HTML tutorial

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Just finished installing a new solar charge controller that will support our new portable 120 watt briefcase panel and our original 100 watt panel. This increase of our solar capacity will support our fridge, freezer and dual battery 120ah ( 60 actual ah) capacity indefinitely.
That will be the mod that keeps on giving!

Reactions: MOAK

morganwest95

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Scottsdale, AZ, USA
First Name
Morgan
Last Name
West
Member #

I bought a hand crank coffee grinder so that I can use whole bean coffee out camping instead of buying the ground stuff. I didn't expect it to grind up the beans more like wood chips than powder, but it was pretty good when I added a little bit more to the percolator. I recommend it to you coffee drinkers out there to treat yourself to the best cup of coffee possible out in nature. It just adds to the serenity of the early morning.

Reactions: RoarinRow

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
Reactions: Viking1204

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Here's a few other things I ordered so that I can keep my auxiliary battery charged to keep my new refrigerator running continuously. I've already received and installed the isolator, the other items that will help me tie into my auxiliary battery should arrive tomorrow!

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
How do you power all that? My dual 60 using a little over 3 amps an hour in dual mode.
I have a 138ah Lithium battery that should power the fridge no problem. I also have a Flexopower444 I can use a backup. My previous Costway 53 qt. would run for 3+ days on my 138ah battery so if I can get two full days with the new one I'll be happy. I'll have two ways to charge it on the road, using truck's alternator and soon I'll have my 100W solar panel setup to charge it also. The current draw doesn't look too bad either, here is what it says in the description: Current draw on 12V (41F inside temperature, 68F ambient temperature) approx. 0.7 Ah/h (Ampere hour). Sure, keeping one side as a freezer and one as a fridge witll draw more amps but doesn't look like it will be too bad.

Last edited:

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
I have a 138ah Lithium battery that should power the fridge no problem. I also have a Flexopower444 I can use a backup. My previous Costway 53 qt. would run for 3+ days on my 138ah battery so if I can get two full days with the new one I'll be happy. I'll have two ways to charge it on the road, using truck's alternator and soon I'll have my 100W solar panel setup to charge it also. Should have everything installed and tested by the time the Fall camping season gets here!
Hmmm I need to figure out what up with my system. I run 2 105 AH wet cells and have to spend a full day charging every other day just to keep my batteries full. Cuts into exploring time.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Hmmm I need to figure out what up with my system. I run 2 105 AH wet cells and have to spend a full day charging every other day just to keep my batteries full. Cuts into exploring time.
Sounds like your alternator isn't putting out quite enough amps to get the deep cycle batteries completely charged. How many amps does your alternator put out? It may be time to look into a DC to DC charger for your batteries and some solar panels.

As for my latest camping gear purchases, in the last couple months, I've purchased a reliance toilet, shoerr/toilet tent, and I'm picking up an ARB awning for 200 on Thursday!

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
Sounds like your alternator isn't putting out quite enough amps to get the deep cycle batteries completely charged. How many amps does your alternator put out? It may be time to look into a DC to DC charger for your batteries and some solar panels.
That is also a problem. I brought a goal zero prior to my trip it quit working 2 days after I received it In a pinch I threw together a 1 wet cell (110AH) and a cheap 300w portable solar panel. I pull a trailer and half way into my trip I moved it into my setup from my jeep to my trailer which also has a 110 AH both stay charged while driving but I leave my trailer at camp when I'm out exploring in my jeep.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
That is also a problem. I brought a goal zero prior to my trip it quit working 2 days after I received it In a pinch I threw together a 1 wet cell (110AH) and a cheap 300w portable solar panel. I pull a trailer and half way into my trip I moved it into my setup from my jeep to my trailer which also has a 110 AH both stay charged while driving but I leave my trailer at camp when I'm out exploring in my jeep.
Yikes. Not a good sign for the goal zero. I'd contact them about a replacement. I run a rockpals 500w, and have had it on two trips so far, with zero issues. I've not used it to power a fridge yet (I use it to power my wife and I's CPAP machines), nor do I run a dual battery setup in my rig. I do have a 180 Amp alternator on the way though. That's not really an option on a lot of newer rigs with the "Smart" alternators though. That's where DC to DC systems come into play.

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
OMG I used my Cabela's point. I talked to Goal Zero and they had me try a hard reset. That didn't work so I sent it back to Cabela's they didn't have anymore and Goal Zero didn't have any so Cabela's sent my a gift card for the amount I paid for the Goal Zero. Now I have a large Cabela's gift card and I guess I will be hanging on to until the restock the Goal Zero yetis. It was their new 500x.

Reactions: Viking1204

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Bummer man. Sorry to hear about the bad luck with the goal zero.

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
Yeah wasn't going to be my first choice but since I had points at Cabela's. Oh well live went on and I still enjoyed my time in NM and I have time to address issues. It really was somewhat of a shake down trip anyway.

educky

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bonney Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Morehead
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7RTO
Hrm, my 3000 Lithium's been working like a horse, I almost wish i had a smaller one though.... but its been holding up well thus far. I'm still hoping to use it to power a fridge one day.

Reactions: Boppa's Travels

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
Hrm, my 3000 Lithium's been working like a horse, I almost wish i had a smaller one though.... but its been holding up well thus far. I'm still hoping to use it to power a fridge one day.
I debated on the 3000 but I felt like it would eat a lot of floor space in my jeep

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
I have not seen one in person but I watched several video on the Maxoak Bluetti. Anyone have first hand knowledge on them?

fmtx

Rank III

Member III

Flower Mound, TX, USA
First Name
Susan
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

My Goal Zero 500x lithium battery stopped charging after 2 months. Just got my replacement from GZ. Runs my SnoMaster fridge and fan at night. Charge by Jeep when driving, 100w solar briefcase when camping, and electric extension cord down my driveway when home.

educky

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bonney Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Morehead
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7RTO
Had the 3000 lithium before it was wifi, asked GZ about it when it came out and they did an exchange for the newer model which actually came with the MPPT which my old one did not. No issues other than lugging the thing around, the newer Pelican Case I use is much easier than the older Hardigg case I previously used. Other than still needing the fridge and the 12v GZ adapter for fridges they say you should use, no issues. Haven't had to use my Boulder 100 briefcase panel yet to even try to charge it...

FYI - the Wifi, while a PITA to setup initially for me... has been great, keeping the unit elsewhere and using my phone to turn on banks of power at a time, for example the lights in my tent or whatnot, have been pretty nice. Initially when it came out, wifi only allowed you to connect to your own wifi at home, now you can connect directly with the GZ to interact.

Reactions: fmtx