Whats one item you cant camp without?

• HTML tutorial

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

Our Eno Hammock, simply because of how awesome chilling in a hammock is and how easy it is to set up and take down. My only plug for this is if you are going to use a tree(which usually happens) you should have tree saver straps. One because they are useful and two because depending on where you are its the law(mainly national parks and forests), thirdly its better for the trees than using items that could harm them. I am by no means a tree hugger lol but if the trees are "protected" you should abide by the governing laws.

Reactions: HUMΛN and Ditch

Ditch

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

New Park, Pennsylvania
Member #

HEYElliot:
Don't know how I misread the original post; my apologies. You were actually asking for an item that was "NOT" necessary. How dumb could I have been. I mentioned a tarp which is an absolute for me.

To correct my error, the one item I would bring that would not be absolute would be six in one. A set of six dice! I enjoy occasional games using dice and they're light enough to keep in my pocket. Something to enjoy but not necessary.

Sorry about my mistake. I may have mislead other's posts.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
good old fashioned paper maps, good old fashioned straight up booze, we carry a flask of Bulliet Rye and a flask of Woodford bourbon, Gin and Tonic for my wife. Just in case we get seriously injured, we promised our kids to always carry an up to date PLB. Oh and coffee - black, and Earl Grey - strong for my wife.

Reactions: Ditch

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

This should make you happy if you like the poncho liner.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
That is sooo FREEKIN COOL.... I just ordered one, and would have ordered more but they only had black in my size. Thanks Dude!!

tritonl

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Lukasz
Last Name
Mikula
Member #

That is sooo FREEKIN COOL.... I just ordered one, and would have ordered more but they only had black in my size. Thanks Dude!!
I just wish I had these back in the day when being cold while training was the norm.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: HeliSniper

KRGibbs

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor III

Belmont, CA
Member #

espresso machine. Itr seems ridiculous, but my rig is huge, I have a solar panel and dual batteries, so why not? The steamer can also be used to heat up milk for hot chocolate so hey, dual purpose.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Overland A Far

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rocky Mountain House, Alberta
Member #

Something not really necessary - people - as I can do quite well on my own. Peaceful, no schedule, no responsibility and freedom.
Something absolutely necessary - my Off Grid Tacoma setup - has all the necessities!

Reactions: Ditch

Kumayama

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ridgemark, CA, USA
First Name
Lyn
Last Name
Mangiameli
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6OMM

I like to take my Ryobi fan, it's good for helping to keep cool, getting a fire going, and helping to keep away some of the bugs, it also runs on the same batteries that I use for my small chainsaw, and a light that I have. Battery will usually last at least 8 hours.
I first ran into these being used to cool cages at dog shows. A bit bulky, but is a serious fan that works equally well to cool a big dog in camp, and can be nice in a tent (for people as well as the dog). Like you, I find the 18 volt battery can be shared over multiple tools, in my case an impact driver as well as lamp. Ryobi also makes a DC charger that doesn’t take up much space. It allows one to top off the battery during the day when driving.