What tires do you like? (Merged Thread)

• HTML tutorial

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

I have run Cooper Discoverer AT, ATR, and now the AT3 over the last 15 years. Each did its job well, good compromise tire for mud, sand, rock, and pavement. Am interested in the ST maxx however.

Trailaholic

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler II

Norco, CA
Member #

I've had BFG KO's (originals) and now I have Cooper ATP's. I love BFG's but the Coopers work excellent and were $300-$400 cheaper than new KO2's of the same size.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Matt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Gatos
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Meadors
Member #

I run the Cooper AT 3 on my 09 G Wagon. 265/70 18. Great on and off road. I've been very happy.

3ilnouri

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kuwait
Member #

Well IMO it depends on what kind of terrain your gonna run on mostly for me it was sad dunes mostly FYI that's about the only thing we have in Arabia except the lower part of KSA UAE and Oman they have mountains and rocks.... So I've ran BFG At Ko on a 2007 Chevy Tahoe then got a 2010 Fj cruiser love it the thing didn't break I threw at it every thing ran on it the best tire for my type of terrain it was Toyo open country AT, then got a LR defender ran on it Goodyear wrangler MTR kevlar the older ones, and now running Cooper at3 on the nissan... They are good on sand and quiet on the freeway but wish the dealer would bring Toyo open country AT at size 16

So run what works best with the type of terrain your gonna run on mostly

Sent from my E6833 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Johnnie Presto

mitchandbuck

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda CA
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
Hammond
Member #

I'm running Toyo MT's. 325/75/16".
60K mile warranty. I have E rated and am continually impressed at how well they squat for thick sidewall.
Wear well, a little noisy after 1/2 worn or so.

Can't make it through the day? Back up, and get a run at it!

WillyGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salem, IN
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Williams
Member #

I have Primewell Valera (right? Who the heck is that?) AT's. I had them for a month for a massive double-doss of snow hit my area and the tires dominated the snow easily, to the point that I volunteered to drive around and help recover cars and other vehicles that got stuck.

The tires also do extremely well in mud, gravel, dirt, and pavement lol. I've thoroughly tested them in the thickest, nastiest, mud out there (Kentucky clay.....beat that!) and they prevailed wholeheartedly.

Midwest red clay mud. Stickiest, nastiest, heaviest mud you'll ever try and run through.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I am running the factory 265/75/16 BFG AT's that came with the truck. In my lifespan, I have owned a fair amount of BFG AT's. They are a great tire for the weekend warrior. But don't be fooled by their M/S rating. They blow monkey chunks in the snow. Now. my favorite tire is the Goodyear Duratrac AT. Ahmazing in the snow! Treadwear lifespan is not so good on a daily though...
What kind of lifespan are you talking? I have close to 30K on my Duratracs and have loads of tread left.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I've been running ST Maxx for about 4 years now, and love them. Excellent off road traction and quiet on road, tread wear is great as well. I was debating on switching to the new pros but the ST Maxx have been hard to beat.
How are those on hard pack snow/ice that is on the roads most of the winter?

Nig

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

WI
Member #

How are those on hard pack snow/ice that is on the roads most of the winter?
The first year or so they were really good on ice (for a truck tire). But with wear they all start to get slick on hard stuff. Ice is ice, no tire is great on it. Deep snow excellent, wet packy snow they are still awesome.
They so far have been far better than both sets of the BFG AT's I had.

Reactions: The other Sean

Anders0nic

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member
Supporter

Pathfinder I

Benicia, CA
First Name
Anderson
Last Name
Carlisle
Member #

What kind of lifespan are you talking? I have close to 30K on my Duratracs and have loads of tread left.
I had just over 35k on the Duratracs before they required "retirement". They were kept as spares until they expired. The current BFG's now have over 40k and they still have way more meat on them. I plan on changing them out for Duratracs here in a few months.

Montanarally

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Flathead Valley, Montana, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Browning
Member #

For overland I love my BFG ko2s at they have over 30k and still look like new. They have been all over from Moab to deep snow up here in Montana. They have loads of traction on everything. They are quite and have been the best tires on ice covered roads out of all my tires .
For pure back wood trail 90% joy in the rocks and mud the Dunlop Kevlars have been amazing in everything for me . Iroks bias for the true trail runner for me

MacsDaddy

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Reidsville, NC
Member #

KM2s are great tires. Never had any major driving issues with them. I did have an issue with the cost of them though.. 35x12.50r17's are about $400 a piece. I bought TOYO Open Country AT's this past fall and I'm impressed with them, to say the least..

Sent from my XT1585 using OB Talk mobile app

Mvan49

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Edmonton, Alberta
Member #

Hi All,

I plan on putting new tires on my Titan this spring. I would like to know what members are choosing for side wall stiffness 8 ply or 10 ply? Because I'm looking at 33 or 34" tires most seem to be 10 ply.

Thanks

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

New Tazewell, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

About 40K miles ago I put on Nitto Trail Grapplers. When new, they were quiet on the Highway (not so much now) and took everything I threw at them on the trails.
I live in DFW so I haven't had any major snow/ice in the last 3 years. Just light snow and they did fine.
View attachment 14380 View attachment 14383
In that 2nd pic it looks like your buddy behind you is NOT steering in a favorable direction for that obstacle ! LOL

Reactions: TXpedition

Cam_Cam_Tech

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Pleasant Hill, CA
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QLZ
Any BFG will be a great choice. Currently running KM2 and waiting on the KM3 this year

cam_toyota_tech