• HTML tutorial

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

What All terrain tires do you like?  I've always liked General Grabbers's and of course BFG's but what do you prefer?

It's time for me to pick up a new set in 35's.  :0)

E

expeditionnorth

in the last 6 years I've ran the kelly safari trax which where like the falken AT's, not really what I'd call an AT but they worked for our 5 seasons here in VT

& then the cooper AT3's, much better but they rum small for their size

worked great in mud & snow, treads self cleaned, awesome on ice & in wet conditions too with the silica compound..though they felt soft all the time even at proper on road inflation PSI

& now the BFG TA KO's

good aggressive tread, side wall lugs, rim protector E casings, heavy tough tire

good all around tire, though they tend to keep mud & rocks in the tread pattern (& eject them when you least expect it), splattered mud down the main road for 1/2 mile after coming out of a muddy trail last year as opposed to the others

which has me thinking my tread was clogged & if not for the 4x4 the tire was/is useless

hope this helps

Justin_0237

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate III

Vacaville, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mulrooney
Member #

I had the nitto terra grappler when I first got my truck and loved them. I went through snow, ice, mud, dirt, and sand with no complaints. When it was time for a new set of wheels I was going to go with the same tires. A buddy talked me into getting a set of wrangler duratracs and I am fairly impressed with them so far. Only have about 5000 miles on them right now but I can say that they are a great tire for what I have put them through already. Once again deep mud holes, sand, rock, and gravel roads. And they are also a more aggressive looking tire but still considered an all terrain tire.

Wolvee

Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Thanks for the replies guys.  I have my the tires sort of nailed down to the Cooper AT3's, General Grabber AT2 and the new BFG KO2.

Oddly the KO2's are lighter than the other two but the AT3's seem to have the best reviews for Daily driving.

Besides towing the toys we spend a lot of time down on the Outer banks.  Which means so much sand I'm cleaning it out  from July till September, lol.  Right about the time I'm road tripping out to Colorado and for Elk and bring home 100 pounds of Colorado mudd.  Daily driving makes me think AT3 but I'm fearful of not bringing enough tire to the fight.

Keep the replies coming OB, it could be useful to others in the future to find out what everyone prefers when they find the site and search for tires.

:blush:

Mike

UKCRD

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor III

Won't use anything except BFG KM2s. Have run them for years and never found anything better for on and offroad use.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I'm a loyalist, if it isn't broke why fix it, if I've never had a flat, or any tire failure, then why experiment ?

I ran my first set of BFG ATs back in 1987 on my F150, wore like iron. Since then I've had several sets of the ATs and two sets of their KMs and two years ago replaced the old KMs on my cruzer with   ATs..   Depending on load and weather  I run between 32 and 36 psi. On the trail, I've got my air downs set  at 20 psi... As stated before, I've never had a failure, ever. ( I did rip a valve stem off once, and popped a bead once while being stupid trying to run 12 psi ) so why change?  Just my 2 cents 😎

pat85

Rank 0

Contributor I

One tire I haven't seen mentioned is the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac.  I've ran on two generations of Grand Cherokee and loved them both times.   And they see a little bit of everything here in Minnesota.  Mud, gravel, snow, ice, and even some rock.  For me, I will take them over an AT or an MT any day for their versatility.

Shane_ONeil

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Manassas, Virginia, USA
Member #

I have Primewell Valera (right? Who the heck is that?) AT's. I had them for a month for a massive double-doss of snow hit my area and the tires dominated the snow easily, to the point that I volunteered to drive around and help recover cars and other vehicles that got stuck.

The tires also do extremely well in mud, gravel, dirt, and pavement lol. I've thoroughly tested them in the thickest, nastiest, mud out there (Kentucky clay.....beat that!) and they prevailed wholeheartedly.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

I run BFG KO's on my 4Runner and Sierra and love them. I've found them to have incredible traction both on and off road, in mud, snow, and ice. They also grab a rock face like a vise when you need to take the rock crawler route.

I'm looking forward to the improved KO2's they are now offering since they are supposed to help with the rock ejection issue. They have already discontinued the KO's in 275/70R17 so any replacements I buy will have to be the new design.

I have the KM2's mounted on my FJ45 and love them as well, though I believe the KO is a slightly better tire for multi-purpose use due to the fact there is more surface area in contact with the road. This is especially evident when you encounter ice and snow since the KM2's lack the "cleats" to lock into the surface. The solid face lugs can actually work against you if the snow isn't deep enough to compress and create a solid base to grab.

Just my 2 cents worth...

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

Ordered BFG AT KO2's ...will review after I get them on and try them!

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

I just took my first trip with the KO2's. Their a little louder than I expected. But they're a great ride to be sure.

That's not to say that they're excessively loud. I didn't hear them on the freeway with the windows up, just cruising around with them down.

It does seem like they really like to not only pick up, but hang on to rocks for a REALLY long time. I was hearing rocks fly off, miles after I had left any place that I would have picked them up. Just a thought if you happen to have cars behind you that you don't want to see scarred.

The grip is amazing. On and off road.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I've had my KO2 tires for a few months now and I have to say, I am very impressed. I got them because a friend recommended them. He has my dream job. Offroad 8 hours everyday. And by offroad I mean he sometimes makes the road... I figured if he liked them that much they must be decent. I don't here them between 0-85 mph. Haven't tried going faster than that. They are very grippy. The compound they used on the tread is great. It's all rock in the areas I wheel and not a single piece of rubber has chipped off like on my previous tires. Don't see myself trying new tires out anymore. KO2 from now on.

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

A vote for Cooper Discoverer AT3's here. Had a set on a work truck that ran over 40k miles for me, and they were used. Bought another used set when I lifted the Frontier. Since then I bought a new set for my wife's Xterra. They wear great and have great road grip. Load range E, so airing down too far can be a concern, but otherwise solid tires off-road and on.

The price is usually very competitive as well.

deeker

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

SW Ontario, Canada
Member #

I've run Firestone Destination MTs on LR Freelander and then on a DiscoII. Then switched to BFG KO ATs for the next set. I have both BFG KO AT and BFG KM2 MTs for the Jeep now on different rims. Not a huge BFG fan-boy, but they have a history of performing well.

Pictures... just because.

Reactions: Inmused

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I'm using my vehicle much differently than most of you, but I just put a set of Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S 215-60-17 all-terrain tires on my Outback. I would have gone with the Cooper AT3s if they had been available in the size I need. I'm limited on diameter due to my suspension geometry. The more lift, the close the tire to the wheel well.

The Geolandar A/T-S is the "go to" tire on the previous generation Outbacks like mine. 2010 and newer have more options, up to 265 -65-17 in some cases. This tire is biased more toward highway use, making it quieter on the road, and less effect on MPG. Being able to get on some nice easy to medium trials while still getting 22+ MPG is a bonus when traveling across the country!

Alex_Kulbaka

Rank III

Advocate II

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Two sets of Yokohama Geolandar AT/S on my old Jeep Patriot. Great all around tire but gets noisy as it wears out.

With my Wrangler I went with GY Duratracs. Amazing tire, very quiet on a highway and provides good grip offroad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Wolvee

Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

As an update I went with 35'' General Grabber At2's. They are great Daily drivers but with my my new found courage in new tires and Mods, I'm quickly out of my element with the morning Virginia mud. They clean up ok so long as I can spin them fast enough.

They really like the OBX sand and BLM trails.

If I had to buy them over again I think I would have went with the Cooper ST-maxx or the Grabber Red letters just because of where I am limited to go in my area.

I am very happy with the road manners and they are pretty quiet for AT's.