What tires do you like? (Merged Thread)

• HTML tutorial

Narrow Road Adventures

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

I just got new tires this week. I ended up not going with the GY MTRs that I was originally leaning toward and went with Cooper Discoverer STT Pros 35x12.5x15. So far very impress with on-road. Noise is minimal for a MT, looks like it should do decent in winter weather (as they remind me a bit of a more aggressive GY Duratrac) and they look even better in person. Can't wait to get some dirt on them!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

TnK1

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Hollywood park, Tx
Member #

I love Goodyear duratracs, bfg ko's have gotten me through more than I thought they were capable of (8-12 inches of thick clumpy mud), but in my search for a cheaper 35s I will be trying out either coopers mtp or falken mt

Reactions: adam1752 and Zargon

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
A couple of days ago we got 16" of snow. Finally a bit of winter. I usually park our rig on the west side of our barn, about 50 yards off the road. I warmed up the rig, dropped into low, locked all fours, and walked right outta there without even breaking traction.. my neighbor was amazed as he watched me do this.. Cruzer and KOs, don't leave home without em [emoji1360][emoji1360][emoji41]

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I'm going to further this discussion, quite possibly into the arena of anal retentiveness, but here goes. I always get new BFGs every 50 thousand miles and usually have plenty of tread left on the old set. This time the old set had 9/32nds of tread left, the set before these, the old ones had 10/32nds of tread left. I just sold the used set for $350, kept a good spare and bought 4 tires. The time before I sold the used set of KMs, for $500 and bought a set of 5 tires. Either way, you do it, I'm spending $620 for 50,000 miles of wear which equates to 1.2 cents per mile. Had I run the tires down to 65,000 miles, they would be useless on the used market and I would have to pay $40 to dispose of them. Equaling 1.5 cents per mile. When all is said and done, when getting new tires every 50k miles I'm saving 3/10th of a cent per mile, compared to letting them wear down to uselessness. It's not a lot, but it equates, in our case to about $150 savings total, or $37 a year. Over the past 25 years, between two vehicles we have saved well over a thousand dollars.. This is something to consider for the longterm when buying tires and considering what your old tires will be worth on the used market. A lot of different brands out there are a lot less expensive than BFGs, Goodyears or Coopers, but only in the short term. I'd wager over the past 25 years my formula for purchasing new and selling used is a lot less expensive than less expensive rubber. I might also add that neither I or my wife have ever had a flat because of tire failure or puncture.. Just my humble opinion..

BobG

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Angier, NC, USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Gravelle
Member #

I just got new tires this week. I ended up not going with the GY MTRs that I was originally leaning toward and went with Cooper Discoverer STT Pros 35x12.5x15. So far very impress with on-road. Noise is minimal for a MT, looks like it should do decent in winter weather (as they remind me a bit of a more aggressive GY Duratrac) and they look even better in person. Can't wait to get some dirt on them!

Nice wheels also

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

After reading this thread, I'm more confused than ever. Has anyone done an actual poll to see how many votes each tire gets?

Actually.. I just finished..I 've been wanting to purchase a new set of capable tires for my DD Tundra..I have seen MANY YouTube comparison vids and many opinions of ALOT of people..Here are the tallies of top 10 tires in this topic on this website..

#1 BFG KO2's--26 votes
#2 Goodyear Duratracs--18 votes
#3 is a tie...Cooper STT and Cooper ST MAXX -- 10 votes each
#4 Cooper AT3 --9 votes
#5 is a tie..Cooper ATP3 and Goodyear KM3 --8 votes each
#6 General Grabber AT2-- 7 votes
#7 BFG KM2-- 5 votes
#8 Nitto Grappler--4 votes

Those are the big hitters here..The others mentioned were mentioned singly and figured they weren't as popular by the majority.. So after figuring this out, have I come to a conclusion on which I want? NO..Not yet anyways. I will now figure out pricing and how much I feel I want to spend. I will be buying 5 tires so that I have the same size spare.. Too many people only by 4 and realize their issue when it comes time of having a flat issue, or other..I'm thinking I'm leaning towards Coopers, as I have a friend that's a dealer, I'll have to see what he has for pricing on the ST MAXX. My 2nd option might be the Duratracs..I hope this helps someone make their own decisions..Good Luck..

Reactions: BobG

dolli310

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Halifax, NS
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Dollimont
Member #

I am running the new Falken AT3W. They have been amazing so far. I came from KO2 that for whatever reason gave me lots of vibrations no matter who balanced the tires. Switched to the Falkens and all my problems were gone and they have been great at everything I've thrown at them.
How do you find the AT3Ws? I'm stuck between these and the Duratrac to replace the factory tires on my Trailhawk.

Reactions: NOMAD5326

15frontier

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Easley, Sc
Member #

I have had great luck with terra grapplers on both my last rig and my current... helps that i get HUGE deals on them. May try some coopers next though

Currently using
285/75r16 nitto terragrapplers D-rated 8-ply rather than the E-rates 10-ply.

Last edited:
Reactions: wgmclain96 and BobG

15frontier

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Easley, Sc
Member #

Do it!

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app
Hahaha you and 50 others are preaching it to me. I may consider next go around. Whats the best option they offer? Prefer an A/T thats close to a M/T... nothing super aggresive but dont want a highway tire either. Really like the st maxx but boyyyy are they proud of those tires!

Last edited:
Reactions: Scout

wgmclain96

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fayetteville, AR/Richmond, TX
Member #

Hahaha you and 50 others are preaching it to me. I may consider next go around. Whats the best option they offer? Prefer an A/T thats close to a M/T... nothing super aggresive but dont want a highway tire either. Really like the st maxx but boyyyy are they proud of those tires!
I can't speak for the ST Maxx offroad (only 2k on my set and haven't had time to get them dirty) but Cooper does advertise them as a hybrid MT which seems to be what you want, similar to the Duratrac (arguable). On the highway I don't hear them and they have handled well in every obstacle I've put them through on pavement (haven't been in snow yet but they are studable if that's any hint to an already exceptional snow tire). If you are ever on ExPo, you'll find a lot of guys that swear by the KO2 and the ST Maxx. Seems that a lot of the guys that swap from KO2s to the Maxxs have no intentions of swapping back. Not a lot of the situation going the other way, at least from what I've seen. I have personally have no experience with KO2s but did love my KOs. Doing my best to keep out the bias:)

15frontier

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Easley, Sc
Member #

I can't speak for the ST Maxx offroad (only 2k on my set and haven't had time to get them dirty) but Cooper does advertise them as a hybrid MT which seems to be what you want, similar to the Duratrac (arguable). On the highway I don't hear them and they have handled well in every obstacle I've put them through on pavement (haven't been in snow yet but they are studable if that's any hint to an already exceptional snow tire). If you are ever on ExPo, you'll find a lot of guys that swear by the KO2 and the ST Maxx. Seems that a lot of the guys that swap from KO2s to the Maxxs have no intentions of swapping back. Not a lot of the situation going the other way, at least from what I've seen. I have personally have no experience with KO2s but did love my KOs. Doing my best to keep out the bias:)

I have a hard time going with anything but the terra grapplers because of the prices i get... they have yet to fail me offroad... they offer an 8-ply in my size that loves being aired down. The highway manners and the 55-65k i get on them is nice to. The only aspect i dislike is they arent the best in snow but living in south carolina thats not to big of an issue.

I really dont understand the general dislike for the nitto terra grapplers... the rest of the tire line sucks (mud grapplers, dune grapplers... etc)

wgmclain96

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fayetteville, AR/Richmond, TX
Member #

I really dont understand the general dislike for the nitto terra grapplers... the rest of the tire line sucks (mud grapplers, dune grapplers... etc)
I know a lot of Jeep guys don't prefer them since the tread doesn't last too long in a Load C and with a relatively shallow tread depth to begin with. However, I've never run them so I have no opinion of them.

WillyGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salem, IN
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Something to keep in mind when considering types of tires: I recently attended a rally in Eastern Tennessee where it rained during the entire rally. Eastern Tennessee is very beautiful but also very mountainous. On the gravel roads the A/T tires did just fine but when we left the access roads and proceeded onto the trails that took us into some beautiful areas the A/T tires just couldn't grip. Even the grassy areas on inclines were difficult for them. Consider the type of overlanding you want to do and just realize that you may lock yourself out of trails in certain conditions.

15frontier

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Easley, Sc
Member #

Wow you make me feel cheap[emoji23]. I refuse to spend over $200 per tire. My Maxxs were $180 a piece

Maybe im looking in the wrong place... i get the Nitto's direct from someone who i know personally that acquires them through a sponsorship at dirt rates... so im not to sure who has best prices on the maxx's