What portable air are you using in your rig?

• HTML tutorial

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Any of you guys mount your compressors underneath between the frame rails? My rig happens to have a lot of space and I was thinking of putting a 100% duty cycle compressor and 2-5 gallon tank down there. Plumb it to QD at the front and rear with a switch in the cab and in the rear compartment and I should be set.
Not up here where there is sand and road salt 5 months of the year.

I have an MF-1050 that gets the job done. For Now.

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
Any of you guys mount your compressors underneath between the frame rails? My rig happens to have a lot of space and I was thinking of putting a 100% duty cycle compressor and 2-5 gallon tank down there. Plumb it to QD at the front and rear with a switch in the cab and in the rear compartment and I should be set.
That's the approach I am planning on, though you'll want to make sure you can run a remote air intake in case you get into deep water/mud/etc. I'm also thinking I'll put some armor underneath to keep it from getting beat up by road/salt/sand/etc.

Reactions: Jelorian

Fellow Jeeper

Rank V

Influencer II

Latrobe Pa
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Bobincheck
I have the ARB twin air compressor with a Carolina metal master seat mount in my jeep. Mounts under the passenger seat. Keeps it out of the dirt and heat from the engine bay. Airs up my 35s nice. Plus the air mattress.

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

Jelorian

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
Member #

That's the approach I am planning on, though you'll want to make sure you can run a remote air intake in case you get into deep water/mud/etc. I'm also thinking I'll put some armor underneath to keep it from getting beat up by road/salt/sand/etc.
Good idea on the remote air intake. I was thinking that if the compressor is fully sealed that it could go inside some sort of box to protect it from the elements. Maybe and old ammo can or an old pelican case? Heck my Sub has some big spaces in back compartment where it could go as well. Solves the issue of keeping it clean and free of dirt/water/etc.

Reactions: Captain Josh

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

As the topic says, I would like to get some recommendations for an airpump/portable compressor for my car as the one I bought is useless!!

I don't want or need the best of the best there is, but I do want something that will last many years and something small.

It needs to be able to inflate a 235/60-16 tire within a reasonable amount of time and be able to hook up o the battery.

Keep in mind that I have to buy from ebay and I'm not used to that so I don't really trust them.

Any help/advice is highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Preston Tiegs

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Provo Utah
Member #

I'm actually interested as well! I don't plan on owning my current rig forever, so I'd like to steer away from anything that is mounted under the hood. I'd like something I can clip on to the battery, and is good enough to air up my 265/75/R16's.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I bought a MF-1050(any auto parts store carries them) and then I got rid of that useless coiled hose and purchased a 50ft air hose. That way the compressor can stay put and I ca reach any tire on my truck or trailer. Now that I have the whole thing in my 4Runner I might shorten the hose some to maybe 25ft.

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

I run a viair 440p works great. Fills a 35 from 20 to 37 psi very quickly. Haven't actually timed it but I would say all 4 in under 10 minutes

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

I have the Viair 300. Like the 440, it is only 33% duty, but it works for my rig. It's good for tires up to 33s. The 440 is good for tires up to 37s. If you want 100% duty, the 450 is the way to go in the Viair lineup. I went w/ the 300 because it met the needs of my pizza cutter 245s & was less than $150.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BCBrian

Big110

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Portland, Maine
Member #

You would be surprised at how fantastic the smallest ARB compressor is. This link has a pretty cool vid comparing the three ARB compressors. If nothing more it will give you a good education. You can make any of these portable to use battery alligator clips or do quick connect pigtails. You can mount the compressor in a small plastic toolbox and have your hoses, and power leads etc all in one package. ARB makes this portable kit with an air tank included and the big compressor--- so check that out and you can DIY it with a smaller compressor (of any brand) for cheap.

http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-On-Board-High-Performance-12-Volt-Air-Compressor-CKMA12-P3572.aspx

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I have the Viair 300. Like the 440, it is only 33% duty, but it works for my rig. It's good for tires up to 33s. The 440 is good for tires up to 37s. If you want 100% duty, the 450 is the way to go in the Viair lineup. I went w/ the 300 because it met the needs of my pizza cutter 245s & was less than $150.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How do you like the 245's? I am thinking of going that skinny when I get my next set of tires on the 4runner. 245/80 - 16

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I have a York engine driven compressor on my truck but I need to rewire it, and get better hose to plumb it, but I needed something for my latest trip over Mojave road.. So I bought the mv50. At the end of our trip, I aired up all my tires from 25 to 55 psi then aired up a friend's from 30 psi to 60 psi and it didn't skip a beat. For the money imho the mv50 is the way to go.

Sent from my LG-H810 using OB Talk mobile app

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

How do you like the 245's? I am thinking of going that skinny when I get my next set of tires on the 4runner. 245/80 - 16
LOL! The stock tires were 205s and the CT trucks had 215s. 245s seem fat compared to stock, but are really still pizza cutters. I've got Cooper ST/Maxx 245s and love them. Super quiet despite fairly aggressive tread, been great in snow and decent in mud. Only drawback is the weight, they're fairly heavy...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I have my Puma 12v compressor hard-mounted in my 4runner, but it is meant to be portable so you could leave loose and lying on its side. The compressor is mounted to the "wing" of my cargo box / sleeping platform, so it can hinge away from the wall to access the storage compartment in the wall.

I havent even put power to it yet, but the reviews on its performance are very favorable. I needed something 100/ duty cycle so I could air up my 33s as well as my wife's. I will be building a simple hose setup that will allow me to hook hoses to all 4 tires and then inflate or deflate them to a set PSI simultaneously. I expect inflation to take under 12 minutes for all 4 tires, but Ill time it and post pics and reviews when I get around to it.

Attachments

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I have my Puma 12v compressor hard-mounted in my 4runner, but it is meant to be portable so you could leave loose and lying on its side. The compressor is mounted to the "wing" of my cargo box / sleeping platform, so it can hinge away from the wall to access the storage compartment in the wall.

I havent even put power to it yet, but the reviews on its performance are very favorable. I needed something 100/ duty cycle so I could air up my 33s as well as my wife's. I will be building a simple hose setup that will allow me to hook hoses to all 4 tires and then inflate or deflate them to a set PSI simultaneously. I expect inflation to take under 12 minutes for all 4 tires, but Ill time it and post pics and reviews when I get around to it.
I really want one of those. My main garage compressor is a Puma and it is a great unit and is really quiet. Space is the only concern. That is a big unit.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I have a York engine driven compressor on my truck but I need to rewire it, and get better hose to plumb it, but I needed something for my latest trip over Mojave road.. So I bought the mv50. At the end of our trip, I aired up all my tires from 25 to 55 psi then aired up a friend's from 30 psi to 60 psi and it didn't skip a beat. For the money imho the mv50 is the way to go.

Sent from my LG-H810 using OB Talk mobile app
I think the MV50 / MF-1050 compressor is very under rated / misunderstood compressor. No, it's not a high dollar 100% duty cycle unit, but the price is only about $60. Most of the bad reviews it gets are people who try to hook the fill hose to the tire and then turn the compressor on. While the pressure gauge reads wrong, it reads accurately wrong, so, a quick mark on the lens with a sharpie and you know where is close. You should be checking with a good gauge anyway.

I've got one, I've used it many times, I'll keep using it and more than likely when it dies, I'll buy another one.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Right now I have a home brewed CO2 setup. A soda machine tank with the Wheelers Offroad regulator and a nice Goodyear rubber hose. It works good, I used it to air up my 33" Boggers a couple times when I had them. The safety (displaces oxygen if the disc blows, no bueno in the cabin) , portability (heavy and awkward shaped) and fact that it's only good as long as you HAVE CO2 have had me on the fence for overland use though.

I've been considering selling it and getting a Viair 450 with the pressure tank and possibly make it modular where I could move the compressor between my Xterra and K2500. I'd use the Viair tank on the Xterra but have in bed hook-ups for a standard portable air tank in my truck.