What portable air are you using in your rig?

• HTML tutorial

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

Steve - I still haven't ruled out CO2, but I did just pick up an VIAIR 300P for ~$128 on Amazon. It's duty cycle is 33%, but it only takes a few minutes to air up. It's no ARB, and it doesn't have a 100% duty cycle, but for the price it's hard to argue. I'll probably still retrofit my Rover's onboard EAS tank and compressor, but the portable VIAIR is pretty nice. As long as I keep in mind this is only for airing up tires and not running powertools as well, I should be fine with this over CO2.

Attachments

Last edited:

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Thanks, Peter. That's about half the price of the Vlair 450P that many folks rave about. And has a higher CFM rating at 0 PSI. Definitely one to keep in mind.

Steve

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

To bring this thread full circle, I ordered the Vlair 450P portable air compressor on Sunday. Despite Peter's 300P suggestion, which is a better buy and probably every bit as capable for how I will use the compressor, I opted for the 100% duty cycle model instead. Thanks for everyone's input!

Steve

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Can't edit the previous post. Somewhere along the line I started typing Vlair, but it is Viair. The 450P came today. It is much larger than I was expecting! I was going to put it in the spare wheel, but that ain't gonna work. Rear footwell will probably be its storage space.

It looks to be very well made. I'm pleasantly surprised. I'll have to compare the inbuilt pressure gauge against my good one.

BEAR

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Concord, California, United States
First Name
Barron
Last Name
Flanders
Member #

10599 said:
I’m surprised no one’s mentioned any CO2 options? I’m thinking of a Powertank or something similar, though I haven’t ruled out repurposing the Rovers on-board EAS pump and tank. The nice things about the CO2 solutions are the speed of airing up and no need for power, though the downside would be the need to replenish.
i have a 20 lbs co2 tank. It's a bit large. I popped a bead once and a 10 t lbs had plenty of pressure to pop it back on. If I had to do it all over I think I'd buy a nice arb compressor. A lot of people in my club use compressors instead of co2 and the use it to pressurize they're road showers.

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

Steve - How's the gauge with your 450P?  I found the one on my 300P was not that accurate, but I have another gauge I use to check pressure.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I've only used it a couple times, and didn't do a good comparison. I just overfilled about 5 pounds, and then bled the pressure off with my hand-held gauge. I think the pressure indicated by the Viair gauge was a few pounds higher than that indicated on my gauge.

I'm using the Longacre 52003 0-60 PSI gauge, which reads in 1/2 pond increments, and is accurate to 2%, so within less than a pound at 40 PSI. http://www.amazon.com/Longacre-Deluxe-Tire-Gauge-0-60/dp/B0055EFTWU

JJsanchez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Juan
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI6BAY
I have a power tank for now but it costs 25.00 for 10lbs to fill up. It airs up my 35's pretty quick, a lot quicker than the smaller compressors.

Ryan_Blaire

Rank IV

Advocate II

I've got the Smittybuilt 2780. Takes a while and gets pretty hot. I usually give it a break after 2 tires. I typically wheel around 12 psi in 35's and like to to get them back up to at least 25 before highway driving (depending on how far from home I am).

aflemskier14

Rank 0

Contributor I

I'm using the VIAIR 150psi compressor, love the output for the size, I have it wired in the back of my runner

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: F8OO

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Steve - How's the gauge with your 450P? I found the one on my 300P was not that accurate, but I have another gauge I use to check pressure.
I run a 300P. I've noticed my gauge is off by about 5 lbs when the pump is running, but once shut off the gauge is 100% correct.

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I run the ViAir 400P, it works great! I plan to install a tank and mount it so i have an On-board-air system.