What portable air are you using in your rig?

• HTML tutorial

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Ok, so I'm ready to order a Viair compressor and I'm torn between the 400P-A and the 450P-A. The higher flow of the 400 I think will cancel out the duty cycle, especially if I add a tank in the future. Thoughts?

Xterra on 32s with a possible single axle trailer in the future.

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

I originally went with a VIAIR, I used it 6 times, it died. The motor windings are open, you should be ok if you are really careful and don't use it. Now I own an ARB double compressor and I've no problems. Ron

Reactions: TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I originally went with a VIAIR, I used it 6 times, it died. The motor windings are open, you should be ok if you are really careful and don't use it. Now I own an ARB double compressor and I've no problems. Ron
Well, I couldn't swing the dual right now, but thanks for the recommendation. I just placed my order for the CKMA12 medium sized unit. 3.0cfm unloaded and like 2.7cfm @ 29psi. Better specs than either of the Viair units, and 50% duty cycle with 30 min run time. I'll have to make it a portable kit myself but I didn't think their kit was worth the extra $70.

I think this'll easily do what I need it to since I don't plan on running air tools.

Reactions: Homeguy

J Tosh Reed

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Member #

Glad this thread is here, I've been looking around at air compressors and this was really helpful. I had no clue about duty cycles or anything like that. Cheers all!

Reactions: TerryD

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

Basically, duty cycle is how long you can run the compressor and how long you have to wait for it to cool off so you can use it again. Ron

CavGeek

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Phoenix, AZ. 85027
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Reiner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6ZWC
Service Branch
U.S.Army
Right now I have the harbor freight 150PSI rated 12V compressor and it does a fair job, but it can get very hot. This last outing it did something interesting, I had reinflated 3 out of 4 tires (245/75R16) from 18 to 32 PSI (only about 30 seconds inflation time per tire!) . As I started the 4th I saw it start blowing dust at the base of the QD to the coiled inflation hose and I lost pressure. The Quick detach had gotten hot enough to melt the coiled yellow poly hose and it opened up a leak! I shut it off, let the QD cool down and then Cut the hose and removed the melted bit and reassembled it with the fresh square cut end into the compression Side of the QD, and it powered up to reinflate the last tire like a champ. I just moved up to 265/75R16 but I'm thinking I will have to give it a break after 2 tires to cool down. Maybe it's finally time to Upgrade? Anyone else ever see something like this happen? Reading the reviews on Harbor freight it sounds like there is some wild variance in the thermal fusing on these and I just got one that will never trip, I might want to look at that along with my newly implemented 2 tires and wait rule....

Reactions: Boort

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

(245/75R16) from 18 to 32 PSI (only about 30 seconds inflation time per tire!) . ..
That is impressive given that comes out to roughly 2 CFM while the compressor is rated at 1.35 no-load CFM (and probably closer to 1 CFM at these pressures).

Not a bad deal!

*edit*

Though, I guess melting its own hose after 3 tires is probably a sign it is certainly working hard to put that air out :P .

Last edited:

CavGeek

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Phoenix, AZ. 85027
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Reiner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6ZWC
Service Branch
U.S.Army
That is impressive given that comes out to roughly 2 CFM while the compressor is rated at 1.35 no-load CFM (and probably closer to 1 CFM at these pressures).

Not a bad deal!

*edit*

Though, I guess melting its own hose after 3 tires is probably a sign it is certainly working hard to put that air out :P .
Well its it's a "One thousand, Two Thousand" count, but It seemed awfully quick to me as well!

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
2BA07015-DE56-4046-B3E9-A3DF54936839.jpeg E72499A7-AC6A-45A7-93DC-DAFA433296D1.jpeg 9710C9BB-767E-437F-B2E8-9543AF7A95A6.jpeg I don’t expect to run air tools and I didn’t like the ARB portable solution so I made my own out of a .50 cal ammo can. Works awesome and I can move it from vehicle to vehicle rather easily.

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I'm still using the Viair 85p I bought for my last rig. It's an underrated little pump. I'm currently on 33s and I've used it to top off up to 35s. It's still working great after 7 years.

Reactions: CavGeek

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

The Viair 400P looks to come in 12v and 24v variants, while it's big brother the 450P only has a 12v version. Is the 24v version of the 400P meant for a specific purpose or vehicle?

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
I’m running the ARB twin compressor also. We fabbed up a custom bracket and mounted it to the existing rear seat wheel-hump mounts so it bolts up tight. We were able to get it neatly tucked to the side so packing around the unit isn’t a problem. Easy access and inside the rig which keeps it clean and debris free. I use the compressor for airing up the tires as well as operating my ARB Air Lockers. I’m not planning to run air tools, although could be worth considering for long expeditions. Gotta find a place for a tank next! Running out of space to add stuff!!IMG_3613.JPGIMG_3614.JPG

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

I went non-traditional. I went with a Ridgid battery powered air compressor.
0F5DC873-3429-42CF-ABB5-10583231F979.png
The main reason we went with this is that the batteries are guaranteed for life and we use them for many other things that ridgid offers such as our fan that we sleep with, a sawzall for clearing and firewood, a wet/dry vacuum for my clean freak wife, flashlights and area light and phone charger.

Reactions: Canesser