What Overland Vehicle?

• HTML tutorial

American Overlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Waconia, MN
Member #

I would suggest a full size rig with at least a V8, probably an SUV to accommodate 5. I'm a little biased on the full size, obviously but to make towing a 5K trailer and toting 5 people and gear easier it makes sense.

I read that and pictured a Suburban or Expedition. Others might say different but I like my F150 to haul or towing anything I can. And I'm lazy so I don't need to think about what I take because I just over pack. Lol
I agree on the full size. I tote around 6 kids and a retriever using a Toyota Sequoia. Has a 400hp v8, locking center differential, Atrac (Toyota's quasi front and rear lockers using software and brakes), plenty of ground clearance, and more. I haven't been stuck yet, and I get into some pretty hairy stuff up in the north woods of Minnesota (deep mud, large rocks, uneven ground where center diff helps, etc.). Of course I'm biased towards Toyota. I had a suburban before this and got the dreaded "reduced engine power" error and the beast was now worth nothing. Way too much $$ to fix.

FYI, The Limited comes with the tow package.

Casey.Broach

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Scranton SC
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Broach
Member #

Well me personally I would go with a 2500 suburban. There is a company down in Florida that puts duramax diesels in them. You can check their work out on YouTube search for duraburban they also sell turn key models.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Well me personally I would go with a 2500 suburban. There is a company down in Florida that puts duramax diesels in them. You can check their work out on YouTube search for duraburban they also sell turn key models.

Not sure the Duramax is even needed to pull the $5k trailer. I have the 6.0 Suburban 2500 with the 4.10 and the LQ4 has plenty of grunt and very reliable 300k no sweat. If you go down that path the IFS is the weak link I'd look to budget 2500 for the lift and beefing up the front end.

Cognito and Kryptonite suspension stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using OB Talk mobile app

Casey.Broach

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Scranton SC
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Broach
Member #

Cool deal that helps me too. Since I am running the same ifs. Duraburban uses cognito products.

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Cool deal that helps me too. Since I am running the same ifs. Duraburban uses cognito products.

Highly recommend Cognito steering brace, and Cognito HD tie rods along with the UCA and leveling kit with choice of Bilstein 5100 or Fox 2.0. I recommend the 1.0 lift block to be leveled or 2 " lift block to keep factory rake. Also consider Kryptonite HD sleeved tie rods they come with lifetime warranty no questions asked. Cognito Steering stabilizer endlinks required if you go with Cognito HD tie rods.

You can save a few bucks going to norcaltrucks.com vs Cognito. Plus they have packages that include everything I mentioned above.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using OB Talk mobile app

Casey.Broach

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Scranton SC
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Broach
Member #

Got one more question for ya? Do you know what size lift I can go with to run 35" tires so that I have good clearance but still keep the center of gravity out of the sky?

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Got one more question for ya? Do you know what size lift I can go with to run 35" tires so that I have good clearance but still keep the center of gravity out of the sky?

how much trimming are you comfortable with ?

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

A full size would certainly tow, but then you have... a full sized rig to squeeze between things and maneuver. The turning radius, breakover angles (heck all the angles) leave a bit to be desired. You will have to commit to limiting the places you really want to go. Depends on the capability of what you are towing also, it should match somewhat.

My (obviously biased) favorite tow rig is a Land Rover LR4 (same would be said for LR3). 7700 lbs, 770lb tongue weight. 2010-2013 5.0L direct injected jaguar V8, 375hp/375ftlb.

I tow a 26' Sea Ray, 6000+ lb. obviously not off road, but its an amazing tow vehicle. Air suspension doesn't feel worked at all. And yet still small wheel base, narrow, and turning radius is amazing.