What Overland Vehicle?

• HTML tutorial

BigJoe1960

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

I'm buying an Overland caravan camper (Conqueror UEV-490 Extreme). With that said, I have 3 children and a total of 5 to haul around. The camper weighs around 5K loaded with gear and is 16ft long from tongue to rear.
So, I'd like any and all input on the "appropriate vehicle" to build for my overland needs. Please, all thoughts are appreciated on truck vs SUV and full vs mid size.

Many thanks, BigJoe

Masheen365

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

South GA
Member #

I would suggest a full size rig with at least a V8, probably an SUV to accommodate 5. I'm a little biased on the full size, obviously but to make towing a 5K trailer and toting 5 people and gear easier it makes sense.

I read that and pictured a Suburban or Expedition. Others might say different but I like my F150 to haul or towing anything I can. And I'm lazy so I don't need to think about what I take because I just over pack. Lol

Reactions: TheMcCalls

BigJoe1960

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Than
I would suggest a full size rig with at least a V8, probably an SUV to accommodate 5. I'm a little biased on the full size, obviously but to make towing a 5K trailer and toting 5 people and gear easier it makes sense.

I read that and pictured a Suburban or Expedition. Others might say different but I like my F150 to haul or towing anything I can. And I'm lazy so I don't need to think about what I take because I just over pack. Lol

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Well more then size is actual weight of load of gear and people. Payload with a halftone seems to go away rather quickly especially with a family of 5 and gear. Power is one thing but suspension and more importantly brakes .

What kind of trips do you plan? That would have a impact in what you can choose

Also what is your budget? What year is the cutoff age wise?
Anytime I hear towing I default to diesel. Just my personal preference though

Reactions: Toyotadirtdevil

BigJoe1960

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Well more then size is actual weight of load of gear and people. Payload with a halftone seems to go away rather quickly especially with a family of 5 and gear. Power is one thing but suspension and more importantly brakes .

What kind of trips do you plan? That would have a impact in what you can choose

Also what is your budget? What year is the cutoff age wise?
Anytime I hear towing I default to diesel. Just my personal preference though
Agree, diesel is my first thought on a truck. I'm going to start with National Parks and lands to explore. I guess time will tell on the overall combination, but power, breaking and clearance are what I'm most concerned with. The truck would have to double as my everyday driver, but that doesn't entail many miles for me.

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

With my 7.3 crewcab 4x4, it will tow 7k pounds without issue and the suspension doesn't blink. It's not fast at least not compared with the new diesels with common rail systems but it's torque that matters and towing a fully loaded 2000 vw beetle and the bed fully loaded and cab loaded (moved my sister in law) I stayed in the teens in fuel mileage low teens but still teens. Newer Diesels require a bit more upkeep but not much.

Large suvs with diesels are limited to and excursion with a 7.3 and 6.0 or suburban witha 6.2 or 6.5 TD. I'd love to get my hands on a 7.3 excursion. In fact I'd have one If I had a place to put it. Pickups have more options.

Due to length and brake over angle I think 35's minimum and say a 4 inch lift depending on what you get. Dodge trucks will sit just as with a leveling kit as my old superduty with a 4 inch lift. Aftermarket can help with power and braking on almost all the major brands

BigJoe1960

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

With my 7.3 crewcab 4x4, it will tow 7k pounds without issue and the suspension doesn't blink. It's not fast at least not compared with the new diesels with common rail systems but it's torque that matters and towing a fully loaded 2000 vw beetle and the bed fully loaded and cab loaded (moved my sister in law) I stayed in the teens in fuel mileage low teens but still teens. Newer Diesels require a bit more upkeep but not much.

Large suvs with diesels are limited to and excursion with a 7.3 and 6.0 or suburban witha 6.2 or 6.5 TD. I'd love to get my hands on a 7.3 excursion. In fact I'd have one If I had a place to put it. Pickups have more options.

Due to length and brake over angle I think 35's minimum and say a 4 inch lift depending on what you get. Dodge trucks will sit just as with a leveling kit as my old superduty with a 4 inch lift. Aftermarket can help with power and braking on almost all the major brands
Thank you for the great ideas. I keep coming back to a HD diesel truck. I've always loved the Excursions with 7.3, getting tough to find.

Meta6981

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Dewey, AZ
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Emerdinger
Member #

My jeep is rated for 7300 lbs to wing, has air suspention to level out when loaded, resonable creature comforts. But might be a little cramped for 5 people high mile runs. If you want to know more check the build treads for some ideas. Or feel free to pm me if i can answer more questions.

PetfishEric

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Knoxville, TN
Member #

Being able to pull 5000 lbs isn't too much to ask for. You have several options but you will pretty much have to go with V-8 power. SUV such as Dodge Durango, Land Rover, Sequoia, Armada, and Expedition all have the capability and your ability to haul 5 comfortably. You can also go with quad cab full size pickups of any brand to handle the job.

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

I would add a GMT800 Suburban/Yukon XL 2500 3/4 ton to your list. With a choice of 6.0 or 8.1 liter V8 engines along with 10-12k towing capacity plus ability to have 9/8/7 passengers seating, choice of axle ratios 3.42/3.73/4.10, GM auto Trac 4WD, G80 locker and modern amenities for 6-13k is a great value. After market for this platform is also good.

Last edited:

Joey D

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Holladay, UT
Member #

For something a little different to consider, you can get the Grand Cherokee with the 3.0 V6 diesel that puts out a nice 420 lb.ft. of torque and they are nice enough inside to live with everyday. The suspension might be a concern with that though since it's rated for 2,000-ish lbs for payload and 7,000-ish for towing.

I'm also not sure how keen you are about dropping $60k on a new rig, but the new Land Rover Disco's come with a diesel as well.

Meta6981

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Dewey, AZ
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Emerdinger
Member #

For something a little different to consider, you can get the Grand Cherokee with the 3.0 V6 diesel that puts out a nice 420 lb.ft. of torque and they are nice enough inside to live with everyday. The suspension might be a concern with that though since it's rated for 2,000-ish lbs for payload and 7,000-ish for towing.

I'm also not sure how keen you are about dropping $60k on a new rig, but the new Land Rover Disco's come with a diesel as well.
Well if you have the quadralift II system it levels out when loaded.

Adventure Ready

Rank II

Advocate II

I'd go with an 80- or 100-series Land Cruiser with a diesel transplant or a bigger Vortec. If you're going to anything more than a gravel road you won't want anything real huge (like an Excursion).

TylerC

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Medicine Hat, AB, Canada
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
C
Member #

I drive a 2015 Ram crew cab. Tons of room for 5 people with gear. The only gear we put in the cab is clothes. Can tow 9300 lbs if I wanted. My trailer only weighs 7000 when I pull it. The reason I went full size was gas mileage. With full kit on board I average 9 L/100kms (30 MPG) on the highway. I get somewhere around 15-20 when pulling the trailer. Nothing beats 1000 kilometers on a tank of gas when you are on a long road trip.

Reactions: stoney126

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
I'm buying an Overland caravan camper (Conqueror UEV-490 Extreme). With that said, I have 3 children and a total of 5 to haul around. The camper weighs around 5K loaded with gear and is 16ft long from tongue to rear.
So, I'd like any and all input on the "appropriate vehicle" to build for my overland needs. Please, all thoughts are appreciated on truck vs SUV and full vs mid size.

Many thanks, BigJoe
Want to be able to go exploring without having to break camp, but don't feel tents are secure enough, and pulling a trailer is too limiting?
I just saw this on Pinterest...
b640b8237b65542b2cc47fd80614c635.jpg
f64ebe3de77a6b887d708af772be78b5.jpg
Imagine one of these on a CrewCab Tacoma.