utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

I run a Tad Gear Ranger Hoodie
Tad Gear stuff is stupid expensive but it lasts and is not only made in the US but most of their stuff I have is made here in California.
Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I have maybe 10 or so TAD jackets collected over 10 years, from Rangers, Stealths, Robin, to the Scepter, and a bunch I can not think of right now, they did make a quality products and likely still do but on my last Ranger order when it said made in USA on one tag and china on another, and the website saying MADE IN USA, their excuse was "we cant find a quality seamstress that can make our quality stateside so we outsourced to China...." and yes, they told ME that on the dam phone in 2012 or so. Then they had their CC system hacked and did not tell anyone, it took AR15 and Larue tactical to tell everyone, finally weeks after the incident and many having a crap ton of money stolen and having to deal with the headaches to file claims, TAD finally sends an email saying sorry, call and cancel your cards..... Well, that burned a lot to trust from many out there, me included. There are many posts on AR15/ AK47, EDC forums, lightfigher, M4carbine, 24hourcampfire, Bladegear, etc that can back this. I will say their wool stuff is amazing. The neck gaiters and watch caps are the best I've found. I have some way old patches and Ti gear that sell for stupid amounts on Ebay if I ever decided to get rid of some of them.

About 5 or so years back I started buying Arcteryx. Yeah some imported as well, but just like TAD some of the stuff is made in America or in Arcteryx case made in Canada. I find the features, build, and quality of the Arcteryx is well above that of TAD. The layering aspect is great and still one the best pulled off. I do like subdued colors to the bright colors of the rainbow found on most Arcteryx gear, so I buy from the LEAF line. My gear cabinet is now primarily Arcteryx. My favorite is the Atom Lt, toss a Alpha lt shell over it... Ill take this if the zombies come over and of my TAD. More so if you damage something and they need to replace you get it quick, not "we may make this again next year".

On the flip side, my daughter gets a TNF triclimate each time she outgrows her old one. I try to buy the next size at the end of season at REI when they go for stupid low prices. Same with her wool base layers. She loves her smartwool and wears the socks/ next to skin/ glove liners all the time until it gets warm here.

Also please notice, my comment "likely still do" in the first sentence. Due to my headache with these guys I jumped ship on them. To flat out lie and them make stupid excuse after being called out on it, after the fact, is crap... They may still be the bees knee, but I see alot of swinging from them as well... but there is a guy I work with who is a TAD nut swinger and I call him on it all the time for the last 3 or so years he has worked there (jackets, shirts, every pair of pants he owns, etc). Last October he showed up in an Arcteryx Jacket and the entire shop gave him crap about it, I just laughed it off with him, but in my mind I was rolling on the ground.

Its not about the name, but what you like. Some love Ford some Yodas, but that is what makes this place great, anything and everything is welcome. I hope I did not piss anyone off with this post, just giving my $0.02 from the last 10 years. I don't know how many have history with them like I did. But I am sure your jacket/ pant/ bag will serve you well, I personally was left burned and if you google any of this, you will see MANY others were as well. I personally, just do not trust them.

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

Generally a 9 year old TAD 3 ply cortex jacket; med weight fleece. I usually throw on a light weight merino wool shirt and moisture wicking base layer.
This setup gets me through 2-3 seasons. Big key is staying dry and being able to layer along with mobility.
Dead of winter is a different story and I don't generally overland or off road in the winter in my jeep. That's what the Argo 8x8 is for:smirk:
However, from May to end June my primary jacket is a "Bug Shirt". Without it you will take your life into your own hands. Between black flies, horse flies, deer flies and mosquitos. It is the jacket of choice where we live is the Bug Shirt!:coldsweat::cry:

Red Beard

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mexia, Texas
Member #

I work outside year round and my go to for cooler and cold weather is Carhartt. I have a vest, light collard jacket, heavy Sherpa lined jacket and insulated bibs. I have had days that I had to wear it all to stay warm. 12-16 hours in the wind and Texas wet cold can do a number on ya.