Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger II

Great Falls, VA, USA
First Name
Colin
Last Name
Richard
Member #

I have the green version of that jacket and am very happy with it. I usually end up with a sweatshirt and Burton windbreaker to be honest though, but growing up in England and Wales Barbour is close to my heart so this is my fav when the weather gets rough:

Barbour Sapper Field Jacket
Love mine...made in New Zealand...father from England so I feel ya!

Reactions: ASNOBODY

Simon Wolfe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sunnyvale, CA
First Name
Simon
Last Name
Wolfe
Member #

I'm cheap... I found an old US Army Gore-Tex jacket and pants. it came with the heavy "bear suit" liner. Being out here is the San Francisco Bay Area it rarely gets cold enough for that. So I found an old British army fleece that works really well with it. I maybe have $60 tied up in the whole set up.

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

We have Northface lightweight puffy hoodies, because it doesn't get that cold here, but close enough to the pacific that the wind comes up and goes through your bones. We spent $4 on sewing our Velcro circles onto our sleeves to swap out patches.

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

Just got a Condor lightweight down jacket. It's been great, lightweight and still warm but probably not a good idea around the camp fire! Do have a softshell jacket I can wear over it though so this may help.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: NorthStar96

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I like my Carhartt waterproof Quick Duck Jefferson coat. Its pretty light compared to a regular Carhartt jacket, and is warm. Just wish it came with a removable hood.

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

I wear a slightly to big blue Toyota Jacket I bought like 8 years ago for 10 euro's xD.. it is warm and wind + rain proof so it does tick all the boxes.. Only downside that is it slightly large for a M size but whatever xD. It is still in perfect condition so it was a good buy haha.

Overlandllama

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Orion
Last Name
Walther
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0CKJ
I wear mostly shells (Eddie Bauer, Helly Hansen, Columbia) all really good products. when cold, I'll wear my British military fleece as a later and if really cold, I'll grab the goose down puffy or snowmobile gear. Most of what I have is getting really old but still works great. I only have to treat the shells with wash-in or spray on water proofing and we are good. Walt

Joey D

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Holladay, UT
Member #

So I have a massive problem of loving to buy various jackets because I like having something for nearly every temperature out there (I guessing living right down the road from Backcountry feeds my addiction). My go to winter coat now is the Marmot Fordham jacket with 700 down. I have to walk a ways from the train station to my office building and it can be fairly cold at times, but the Fordham keeps me really warm and I don't feel that it's super bulky either.

I also wear my Marmot Poacher Pile fleece nearly every day since they feel the need to keep our building so cold. It looks great, it's super comfortable and has a chest pocket which is something I really like in any jacket/fleece.

I've tried several brands from Arc'Teryx (good but way to expensive), Patagonia (doesn't hold up as well as I think it should), to The North Face (used to be good, but now lacking), and I found Marmot is the best blend of quality, price, comfort, style, and availability for me so most of my gear has gravitated toward their brand.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

It's old but I have a Mountain Hardware 3 in 1 for winter and a Mountain Hardware soft shell for cool weather. When it gets wet and warm, I throw on my Mammut light shell.

codesertrat

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Las Vegas, NV
Member #

For the slight chill I wear a port authority soft shell I got free from work (I have like 3) or a cabala's fleece that goes into a hard shell that I use as my rain jacket. if it is below freezing I go with a Columbia down jacket with a hoodie or one of my fleeces under

Last edited:

Fitz

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Long Beach California
Member #

I run a Tad Gear Ranger Hoodie

I also have a Tad Gear Ranger Jacket when a hood isn't required.

And lastly a Tad Gear Raptor Hardshell for rain.

Tad Gear stuff is stupid expensive but it lasts and is not only made in the US but most of their stuff I have is made here in California.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

I use my natural chub to keep warm but have had good luck with some of the shell coats from costco (rei knockoff) I have a Northface snow jacket for when it's really cold

krax

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

NC
Member #

I wear a Kuhl Kollusion jacket whenever a fully waterproof or insulated shell is unnecessary. I added more wax to mine to make it more water resistant. It's a great jacket when you want something less technical looking, but still very functional.

JeepersForVets

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Calgary, AB
First Name
Steve
Last Name
E
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE6EVL
My usual combo is an IceBreaker merino wool hoodie with a Helly Hansen Universal Moto shell. I also have an older North Face something or other shell. That one is bright, bright orange, very light weight and very compressible.

When it start getting colder, I'll usually swap the Helly Hansen for the Arcteryx Atom insulated hoodie. That combo usually works down to about -20C if I'm moving around.

Once it drops down to the MFing cold weather (-25C to -45C, not including windchill), I wear a Canada Goose Expedition Parka. Canada Goose gets a lot of negative press around their use of duck down insulation and coyote fur hood ruff, but I haven't found anything that comes close to providing that level of consistent warmth in those dangerously cold temperatures.

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
Cabelas GoreTex jacket with removable fleece insert for when it is really cold or wet, other wise I pack one light weight and one heavy weight down jacket from Costco.

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

I tend to run mostly with my old army gear. I have a woodland gore-tex jacket that I acquired from my supply sergeant (in the army, supply and armory NCOs should be your two best friends), and my old heavy duty fleece that they issued before they switched to the lighter weight green ones. If more layers are needed, I have my light- and heavy-weight poly-pros.

I do like the idea of having something to rock the OB patch on though, so I've been looking at the Condor Phantom soft shell jacket.

Faolchu

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

New York
Member #

I've been a big fan of my 5.11 Big Horn jacket...had it for years, provides decent warmth and works well as a top layer. It's water resistant, but not waterproof. During warmer season I'll like my Eddie Bauer shooter jacket which is pretty breathable and great in the rain. In the summer months I have a super light weight Kuhl jacket, don't remember the name.

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #