What is your preferred shelter? (Rooftop Tent vs Ground Tent vs Etc...)

• HTML tutorial

What is your preferred shelter?

• Total voters

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
I have a little trailer I pull behind my Jeep TJ (pictured) with a double sized tent-cot from Cabela's bolted to the lid (tent-cot not opened up in the picture) which functions as a RTT. Works fine, but you can't really sit up in it; it is really only good for sleeping in.

However, my preferred set-up: A ground tent with a cot (to keep me off the ground) with my little propane heater and a folding chair. I'm using a 24-gallon Rubermaid action packer for my clothes (and as a nightstand). Tent is a Browning 8'x10' tent; big enough for an oversized cot and chair and such but not too big. I can store stuff under the cot to save floor space. I can sit up on the side of the cot when getting dressed, and can stand up in it if I want. I can turn on the heater for a bit before undressing for bed, and then turn it on for a few minutes before getting up in the morning. The day after these pictures were taken, it snowed.

I have a larger 10'x12' tent for when there's two of us (and two cots). But this one works great when it is just me and I want the ground-tent option.

OB Feb.1.jpgOB Feb.2.jpg
OB Feb.3.jpg
OB Feb.10.jpg

Last edited:

Olaf Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate III

Fresno, CA, USA
First Name
Olaf
Last Name
Becker
Member #

As a base camp for longer trips of a week or so we tow a TT with all the creature comforts. We just spent a week around Bodega Bay and it was nice to have a heater running and to be surrounded by sturdy walls to shelter from the wind.
For spontaneous adventures I had ordered a RTT last February and received it just in time to try it out once before the fire took our backyard playground.
The next adventure was supposed to be Oceano Dunes and we are still waiting ... Crazy times. Seems like we are not allowed to have any fun anymore. But that makes me want it even more!
I'm still working on the setup for all the gear in the FJ. It is currently a mess and requires constant unloading and reloading.

Attachments

Reactions: 64Trvlr

peeeeetey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harrisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Meuser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WREL270
I'm getting a pop up camper for $800. Havent seen it yet but it is mine if I want it. Wife spent the weekend watching pop up remodels on youtube.

ric8271

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Miramar, FL 33027, USA
First Name
Kenton
Last Name
McLaughlin
Member #

I prefer a roof top tent, off the ground away from alligators, bears and panthers lol. I’ve seen a lot of gators and a bear family (mama papa and baby) still looking for that Florida panther. The alligator was in the pond watching the porta potty lol.

Attachments

Enthusiast I

NSW Australia
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ground tent.
And by ground tent I mean awning tent. When it's just me I'll pitch a tarp or use the awning and either swag it (bedroll) on a groundsheet or park near a tree and run a hammock between said tree and the vehicle's roll bar.
20180926_094248.jpg
20181012_061847.jpg
20180930_173204(0).jpg
When my significant other is with me I break out the awning tent.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I have a little trailer I pull behind my Jeep TJ (pictured) with a double sized tent-cot from Cabela's bolted to the lid (not opened up in the picture) which functions as a RTT. Works fine, but you can't really sit up in it; it is really only good for sleeping in.

However, my preferred set-up: A ground tent with a cot (to keep me off the ground) with my little propane heater and a folding chair. I'm using a 24-gallon Rubermaid action packer for my clothes (and as a nightstand). Tent is a Browning 8'x10' tent; big enough for an oversized cot and chair and such but not too big. I can store stuff under the cot to save floor space. I can sit up on the side of the cot when getting dressed, and can stand up in it if I want. I can turn on the heater for a bit before undressing for bed, and then turn it on for a few minutes before getting up in the morning. The day after these pictures were taken, it snowed.

I have a larger 10'x12' tent for when there's two of us (and two cots). But this one works great when it is just me and I want the ground-tent option.

View attachment 176844View attachment 176845View attachment 176846View attachment 176847
Yes, I agree ! I cant do it anymore myself because of physical disabilities and I've been forced to buy a small cargo trailer for all my future adventures. I'm following the theme that if there is a will there is a way. Just doing it is what counts.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I prefer ground tents. No climbing, easier to put a tarp over for extra shelter, way cheaper than other options , less weight. You look less cool but have extra to spend elsewhere. Edit after staying on the beach over thanksgiving and having to sleep in the front seat due to high wind im going to turn my old farm trailer into a camping trailer aka mini rv.
View attachment 131423
First three sentences here are same for me. Except, kind of like in the picture, I have a cap on the bed of my truck (which is still attached, not being used as a trailer). So, when camping I am either in a ground tent or in the covered bed of the truck. These days theres an air mattress either way.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

if weather is decent and we are going fast and light and moving around daily, we tent camp or just sleep in the back of the truck and if weather is cold or we are staying more in one area, we take our 10' NoBo and use it as a base camp. And like Salty4Life said, an RTT is a pita for me as well.
Looks like a nice small travel trailer. I may have to look for something like that.

Reactions: grubworm

Contributor III

Prescott, AZ
First Name
Jennifer
Last Name
Borst
Member #

I've never used a rooftop tent, but I'd like to try. If there's rain in the forecast I'll use a tent. If it doesn't get below 30F at night I'll throw a twin air mattress in the back of my truck so I can enjoy the stars.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

There is no perfect system, there are pros and cons with everything. That said, I prefer sleeping in my truck with a camper shell. The biggest con is having to unload everything at night, and reload in the morning. But I’m off the ground, and my shell is insulated, and weather tight. No dealing with wet tents or pulling a trailer. I'm slowly getting my camper set up to where I want it to be. I keep changing it around though. You are never really finished with a project, right?View attachment 125316View attachment 125317
Can it GET any more old-school than that?!?!

Love it!

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

Can it GET any more old-school than that?!?!

Love it!
I still have the truck, but I’ve added a “new” vehicle to the stable as well. It’s a 1985 4Runner, and it has all sorts of new fangled things on it like fuel injection and power steering! The 4 Runner is much more comfortable, and will be for longer trips, and the truck will stay closer to home.

Attachments