What is your preferred shelter? (Rooftop Tent vs Ground Tent vs Etc...)

• HTML tutorial

What is your preferred shelter?

• Total voters

mtrimmer

Rank II

Contributor III

Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Trimmer
Member #

Bought first RTT (Tepui) spring 2020. Spent quite a bit on the Leitner rack (pref Leitner for flexibility and room for taller cargo). Loved the tent until I wanted to be mobilize more rapidly to explore.

Pros:
-Easy set up.
-Solid shelter.
-Feels good to be high up.
-My back lost its love affair with the ground about 20 urs ago.
-spends summer on rack so less to unload
-Can do some awesome dispersed camping way up above tree line without worry about destroying a trailer en route.

Cons
- no basecamp
- can be expensive
- unnerving to be on a elevated metal plate/platform in the middle of a field in a lightening storm ⚡

That being said....someone else’s message has me looking at NOBO trailers this very moment.

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

Love those old 2 door 4-Runners! Ok. So, take me with you the next time you go buying trucks and SUV's. I feel as though there is that omega-shaped stone time portal somewhere, the one Dr. McCoy went through in the original StarTrek. Only it seems to lead you to 1987, and your pick of the litter for great Toyotas
I had been trying to buy this 4 Runner for a couple of years, and finally talked the previous owner out of it. And the truck wasn’t a planned purchase, I got a call from my dad saying he saw it for sale, and I drove It home half an hour later! Right place, right time!

MDV Hank

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Islamorada, FL, USA
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Stark
Member #

I like the ARB Awning with deluxe room for the extra room, which I can use on the truck or 4x8 trailer
tempImageNu4JuW.pngtempImage9A78Xp.png. I use a Teton cot/tent for nights that I want fast set-up and breakdown.

Reactions: TheJungleIsNeutral

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE

Contributor III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Maggie
Last Name
Vander Pol
We're fans of our Boreas XT.

Pros:
We leave it packed so it's ready to go at all times (just stop at the grocery store on the way out of town)
Fits in our garage so we don't have to pay to store it or keep it outside
Has our fridge, sink, stove, 30 gal of water and 11 lbs of propane so we're set for the length of trips we take (normally between 3-5 days)
Permanent bed
There's minimal setup so when we pull up to camp we can start cooking dinner after we set the wheel chocks and open the galley door
If we want to drive to a trail head, in town, or just around the area we can unhitch the trailer from the truck without breaking down camp
Solar panel keeps small gear and lights powered up

Cons:
It is a longer vehicle so if we want to go on a tougher mountain pass we leave it at camp and have to come get it afterwards (if we're moving)
Parking in town (hasn't been much of an issue for us since we park at the back of grocery store lots, but something to consider)
More expensive than a tent for sure, but fits our trip needs

Boreas XT.jpg

peeeeetey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harrisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Meuser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WREL270
We sleep in the rig or hammock or tent. All depends on the terrain. We prefer hammocks with all the quilts and stuff.

GBGCR4x4

Rank III

Advocate I

Florida, USA
First Name
Gianluca
Last Name
Boncompagni
Roof top tents by far. Ever since I got mine I've never looked back. as I keep saying, now I can do trips with my gf, which I otherwise wouldn't be able to do with a ground tent. We both sleep really well in the RTT, plus she really appreciates having an annex to change, etc.IMG_0269.JPG

Reactions: KAIONE and MDV Hank

OcoeeG

Rank II

Enthusiast III

SE TN
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gee
New to the RTT game. Made a trailer for it with boxes that house all of the camping and cooking gear, 270 awning, 12v. My goal was to make camping easier. Pretty much everything but food and clothes live in the trailer, not quite dialed in yet but we are getting there. The goal is hook up and go! We LOVE it so far (only have 3 night/ 2 trips in it). The wife and 10 yo son love sleeping up there, so cozy they say. The dog seems to be fine with it as well. It's a bit of a pain to get out to pee, but only slightly more than a ground tent. A trailer with a RTT as a basecamp set-up is sweet.
KIMG0030.JPG

Last edited:

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

Id love to try a RTT but finances dictate that i wont have the opportunity. The cost in the UK of my choice of RTT is ridiculously high. In addition the financial advisor (wife) doesnt understand why i would need one

Reactions: Advtres

Dom1na Fati

Rank II

Contributor III

Durango, CO, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
HansonWeller
Member #

I had been considering an rtt, but didn’t find one on the market that checked all the boxes for me. I may revisit purchasing an rtt in the future after I decide upon a bed cap/rack. For now I use a 15 year old, three-season, six person Kelty ground tent. I do have a Shiftpod III on order and I hope that arrives this month. I look forward to overlanding all year long with the Shiftpod.
Ultimately, I prefer a large ground tent for ease of accessing and interior space that can accommodate me and up to four others with room to spare.

Reactions: Advtres

GBGCR4x4

Rank III

Advocate I

Florida, USA
First Name
Gianluca
Last Name
Boncompagni
How about a RTT that’s on the ground?

My iKamper 3.0 came in, but still waiting for the rack that it goes on for my new Tundra. PullKitchen is ready though!

View attachment 229484

View attachment 229482
View attachment 229483
Hey, let us know how it goes with the iKamper 3.0, looks great. I've camped on a 2.0 several times, and I want to sleep on a 3.0 soon, to see what the difference is. I own a Guana Equipment Wanaka 55, much different, but love how comfortable it is.

Also, I took a look at the Pull Kitchen and wow, this is a great problem solver for many. will you be at the Overland Expo later this month?

Reactions: PapaDave

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Hey, let us know how it goes with the iKamper 3.0, looks great. I've camped on a 2.0 several times, and I want to sleep on a 3.0 soon, to see what the difference is. I own a Guana Equipment Wanaka 55, much different, but love how comfortable it is.

Also, I took a look at the Pull Kitchen and wow, this is a great problem solver for many. will you be at the Overland Expo later this month?
I had the iKamper 1.5 so I’m interested to see as well how the mattress is in comparison.

We will not but Overland Chef Jesse ( www.Instagram.com/overlandchef ) will be with his PullKitchen and truck in the CBI Off Road booth doing cooking demonstrations on Friday only. So if you go you can see it there plus learn a lot about cast iron cooking over fire from Jesse.
3A98CC87-514A-4ACF-935C-DF6415184E50.jpeg030917CE-8283-4527-A3E0-BF6C7F800460.jpeg

GBGCR4x4

Rank III

Advocate I

Florida, USA
First Name
Gianluca
Last Name
Boncompagni
Reactions: PapaDave

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
We’ve had both. The Jettent 25x by Oztent is by far the very best ground tent we have owned. We used it for four years. Four years of being frustrated at not being able to pitch it at so many different campsites. Two years ago we purchased a top shelf canvas RTT. It is every bit the tent that the Oz is except one very important thing. This past trip we camped at 8 different sites in 14 days as we toured southern Utah, Arizona and New Mexico. Of the 8 sights, only 2 would have been suitable for a ground tent. No longer are we concerned about being able to pitch a ground tent. No longer must we take the time to set up, stake out, then set up cots, lay out bedding, etc etc. RTTs don’t work well for everyone and they aren’t meant for everyone. Like so many things for many people, they are a passing fad. For us, like penny loafers and button down Oxford shirts, our RTT is already a classic.