What is your must cook meal or must have food for camping.

• HTML tutorial

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
Camping out of my Jeep space is limited (2 door) and I'm usually by myself. So cold cuts, pb and j, granola bars, chips. If I'm with my wife, it's in my truck and travel trailer and she stocks up, especially if the grand kids are with us.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Red Beard

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

Anything in a tortilla or flatbread. Breakfast tacos, chicken fajitas, shrimp fajitas, fish tacos, ham and cheese wraps...cuts down on dishwashing or paper plates. I even toss a salad into a heart healthy wrap with some cold grilled chicken...Huevos rancheros is the only thing I make that really needs a plate....Total Skottle and cast iron junky.

WaypointOverland

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Issaquah, Washington
First Name
PHILIP
Last Name
WAYPOINT OVERLAND
Member #

I gotta say, I really hope we all meet some day or even better over on a multi week expedition.
Hey I was thinking....could start a group and call ourselves Expedition Eats....start a website and YouTube channel and show case our rigs, adventures etc focusing on good food , camping and adventures.
We can do a "Return to the Mackenzie - On a full stomach" 12 episode series....lol!!

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk
If you ever get serious about this idea... contact me and I’ll share my idea.

Reactions: O2Thrp

WaypointOverland

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Issaquah, Washington
First Name
PHILIP
Last Name
WAYPOINT OVERLAND
Member #

Corned beef and cabbage the first night. The next morning use the corned beef and potatoes to make hash with eggs and pancakes from a mix that just needs water added. Lunch is usually charcuterie such as salami, smoked salmon, sardines, smoked oysters, wheat cracker and ritz crackers. Ribeyes are thawed by then for dinner that evening. Bacon eggs and toast every morning after. Sandwiches for lunch thereafter and dinners vary.

Reactions: Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

As many have said, a big breakfast. Like the one below with cheesy onion tortillas, diced bell pepper, thick cut bacon, diced & grilled apple with Mr Stubbs Rub, and a couple of fried eggs, with fresh made coffee in the French Press with milk and molasses. Yeah buddy, breakfast like that and I'm good for the day no matter how chilly.

roaddude_partnerstove22-3430.jpg

Second up would be seeing what's on sale because its Sell By date is up and grab some filet mignon (below) or chicken breast for dinner. Then grill it on the same griddle as breakfast with some mushroom and onion (with Mr Stubb's Rub of course) and sea-salted asparagus spears.Couple of beers to go with and I'm good until I do breakfast all over again.

roaddude_partnerstove22-3450.jpg

Oh man, these two meals when cooking outdoors help me be a happy man.

Cabin Fever

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

I've got a 20yr old outback oven, kind of a light weight Dutch oven concept. It's a crowd pleaser every trip. Pizza, breakfast casserole, brownies & cookies, chili. You can't beat a real Dutch oven for chili, but this thing does a decent job.

My favorite is either homemade pizza or tacos. You're just so flexible with toppings and if you're lucky you can grab fresh ingredients outdoors - Mushrooms, scallions, ramps and other greens. Yum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have been using my outback oven for just as long. I love that thing. Brownies and homemade pizza in the backcountry!

Reactions: brianb2

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

I have been using my outback oven for just as long. I love that thing. Brownies and homemade pizza in the backcountry!
Yeah, never underestimate the power of hot brownies at a campsite. I’m pretty sure I could have negotiated the first born from a few folks over the years. Shame they quit making these.

Reactions: Cabin Fever

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Yeah, never underestimate the power of hot brownies at a campsite. I’m pretty sure I could have negotiated the first born from a few folks over the years. Shame they quit making these.
Likely discontinued because too many people failed to read the warning of not using it on a camp stove that sits on top of an explosive fuel source. Sigh....

This dude shows how he replaced his with a DIY:
http://www.bplite.com/viewtopic.php?t=6358

Reactions: ryanb and brianb2

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Nice link. I love it when Zelph chimes in. I might try his idea. I’ve got some Insul-bright I used to make a food cozy for reheating dehydrated meals. I bet that with some of the foil tape would work. Later.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #