What is your must cook meal or must have food for camping.

• HTML tutorial

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

I've got a 20yr old outback oven, kind of a light weight Dutch oven concept. It's a crowd pleaser every trip. Pizza, breakfast casserole, brownies & cookies, chili. You can't beat a real Dutch oven for chili, but this thing does a decent job.

My favorite is either homemade pizza or tacos. You're just so flexible with toppings and if you're lucky you can grab fresh ingredients outdoors - Mushrooms, scallions, ramps and other greens. Yum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talisker

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

The Lake District, UK
Member #

Some great recipes guys, but for me it has got to be the classic bacon buttie. Even better with fresh, trail-made soda bread farls.

Tried this recipe out on one of our first overland trips and it has been a staple ever since. Inspired by a local "celebrity" baker who made these in the back of his VW camper:

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/r80173/Soda-bread-farls-with-bacon

Sent from my Moto G (5) using OB Talk mobile app

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Recently I've been going solo and it's been a flatiron ribeye in my castiron pan over my little Coleman single burner stove. Out in the woods is just a very nice place to enjoy a flatiron steak. Little salt, little pepper, dab of olive oil and GO! Really hits the spot.

20170602_184659.jpg

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

Chilli and corn bread in the dutch ovens...also blackberry cobbler for dessert.
Do you ever use Dutch oven liners for stuff like that? I've been wanting to try them. I occasionally use parchment paper at home for bacon in the oven an it works great for cleaning up.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: lhoffm4

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

Some great recipes guys, but for me it has got to be the classic bacon buttie. Even better with fresh, trail-made soda bread farls.

Tried this recipe out on one of our first overland trips and it has been a staple ever since. Inspired by a local "celebrity" baker who made these in the back of his VW camper:

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/r80173/Soda-bread-farls-with-bacon

Sent from my Moto G (5) using OB Talk mobile app
I'm going to have to try that recipe, it looks pretty awesome. I might have to add some gravy with it!

Reactions: HeliSniper

NightCrawler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Moreno Valley, Ca
First Name
Steven
Last Name
DeLong
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7DTH
Do you ever use Dutch oven liners for stuff like that? I've been wanting to try them. I occasionally use parchment paper at home for bacon in the oven an it works great for cleaning up.

I have never used the liners. It took a while to get good seasoning built up. Now stuff slips right out and clean up is pretty simple. I do use one specific Dutch oven for chili and another for cornbread and cobblers.

Procrastination is a grave in which opportunity is buried. - unknown

Reactions: Red Beard and 000

Northernlady

Rank V
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Karen
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

I gotta say, I really hope we all meet some day or even better over on a multi week expedition.
Hey I was thinking....could start a group and call ourselves Expedition Eats....start a website and YouTube channel and show case our rigs, adventures etc focusing on good food , camping and adventures.
We can do a "Return to the Mackenzie - On a full stomach" 12 episode series....lol!!

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk
That is an awesome idea!!!

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I have never used the liners. It took a while to get good seasoning built up. Now stuff slips right out and clean up is pretty simple. I do use one specific Dutch oven for chili and another for cornbread and cobblers.

Procrastination is a grave in which opportunity is buried. - unknown

I use one oven for everything, its about 30 years old and well seasoned, but was thinking that it'd be nice to just pull out the paper liner and toss it in the fire for even faster clean up with the real sticky stuff like a cobbler. I'm now in the mood to drag it along on the next trip and I will experiment and see if it works as good as I hope!

Reactions: Red Beard

NightCrawler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Moreno Valley, Ca
First Name
Steven
Last Name
DeLong
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7DTH
I use one oven for everything, its about 30 years old and well seasoned, but was thinking that it'd be nice to just pull out the paper liner and toss it in the fire for even faster clean up with the real sticky stuff like a cobbler. I'm now in the mood to drag it along on the next trip and I will experiment and see if it works as good as I hope!

Looking forward to hearing the result you get...I wish I had some 30 year old dutch ovens...I find some pans here and there at flea markets and swap-meets. Love cooking in cast iron. My mother has all my grandmothers cast iron and I have dibs on them already.

Red Beard

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mexia, Texas
Member #

Looking forward to hearing the result you get...I wish I had some 30 year old dutch ovens...I find some pans here and there at flea markets and swap-meets. Love cooking in cast iron. My mother has all my grandmothers cast iron and I have dibs on them already.

I have 3 generations of cast iron cook wear that I have inherited. My favorite ones are my great grandfather's 14" cast skillet and his 16" Dutch oven. Both many years old and still going strong. Both of them were used to cook for the cedar choppers of the Texas hill county during the depression.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

Pulled pork taco's are one of our go-to's. I'll normally smoked up a bunch of shoulders a few times a year, then divy up the pulled pork into meal size portions, vacuum seal and freeze it. We just sous-vide the package back to life at the campsite ans I swear it tastes almost as good as the day it was smoked.
In fact, we've been pre-cooking a lot of meals, vacuum packing and freezing them, then sous-vide'ing them in pot of water while camping. It keeps the cleanup to a bare minimum while allowing for some quick tasty meals.
I also love pasta, and we bring the Barilla Pronto pasta along. It boils in minimal water, and absorbs all the water for no waste.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Chilli and corn bread in the dutch ovens...also blackberry cobbler for dessert.
Willing to share the recipes to those? I gotta break in my castiron and missed the opportunity earlier this year.

As for me depends on the trip and the gang I'm with:
Boort

Reactions: Chris St. Clair

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

Pulled pork taco's are one of our go-to's. I'll normally smoked up a bunch of shoulders a few times a year, then divy up the pulled pork into meal size portions, vacuum seal and freeze it. We just sous-vide the package back to life at the campsite ans I swear it tastes almost as good as the day it was smoked.
In fact, we've been pre-cooking a lot of meals, vacuum packing and freezing them, then sous-vide'ing them in pot of water while camping. It keeps the cleanup to a bare minimum while allowing for some quick tasty meals.
I also love pasta, and we bring the Barilla Pronto pasta along. It boils in minimal water, and absorbs all the water for no waste.
That’s become one of my favorite ways to cook in camp if I’m not staying long or have more important things to do like fishing. It’s also a great way to use up leftovers. I’m taking three dinners vac sealed this weekend for our annual trip to the Sacramento River for salmon fishing. When we get off the river at dark it’s awfully nice to just boil water to make a good dinner and not have to clean up since we’ll be getting up at 3:30 the next morning to launch the boat again.

Reactions: Red Beard