Newcastle, OK, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I don't think I've gone out and didn't have a steak and fried potatoes at least on one night. That was sirloin and tri-tip medallions if I remember correctly.
Yeast rolls are new to the menu too. Rigged up an oven of sorts with two brownie pans and heat them up on the 1963 Coleman.
Yes...that's a Kabar tactical spork.
Dinner1stNight.jpg

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
Man I want to hang out with you!
Those look fantastic!
Thanks. We always have food/drinks for an Army in the rig. I never know when someone is going to do a hospitality check at camp.

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
I will have to say breakfast burritos for sure as a 1st meal. Cobbler and/or Dump cake as a desert after at least one dinner. Dinner meals vary but we always feel spoiled if there is a grilled steak involved...

Reactions: 9Mike2

Okierover

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newcastle, OK, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Bustabeatgeorge posted a youtube video that had a shot of some breakfast burritos that looked like they were delicious. Chorizo and eggs it looked to me.

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
I feel like everything has been covered at this point that I eat, but I'll put my $0.02 in.

In the Morning if we are not roughing it, it's got to be eggs, bacon and hash-browns... maybe even put that all into a burrito with some hot sauce. If we are roughing it then a Mountain House (Or equivalent) scrambler, eggs & cheese or biscuits and gravy.

For lunch I always pack/make at least a sandwich (PB&J, Ham & Cheese, Grilled Chese, Etc...) and a few snacks. Snacks are dependent if we're backpacking or overlanding. Packing i just take fun size snickers bars (good amount of calories in such a small package). If overlanding then it's Dot's Pretzels (the wifey loves her savory snacks lol).

Dinner it's usually some sort of meat, Hot Dogs or Brats are the most common, if we're getting fancy a nice big ole rib eye steak along with foil wrapped potatoes baked in the fire. If I'm roughing it then Mountain House again lol, but it's the Chili Mac or Lasagna.

Desert is the quintessential s'more :yum:

• Love

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
Hot dogs. If I'm on the bike, Ramen (the good stuff, not cup a noodle)
I like going to an Asain Market and getting Ramens that have all kinds of goodies in the packets.

Last edited:

RoamerOverland

Rank II
Investor

Enthusiast I

Temescal Canyon, Corona, CA, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Hudack
Member #

Carne asada tacos. I'll usually marinate a flank steak in a gallon ziplock and throw it on the grill. Serve with sliced avocado, chopped onions, cilantro and cotija cheese. Leftover steak makes great breakfast burritos in the morning.
Have you tried the Costco chicken tacos? The chicken is pre-cooked and all you the to do is heat up the chicken and tortillas. It is great and easy!

RoamerOverland

Rank II
Investor

Enthusiast I

Temescal Canyon, Corona, CA, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Hudack
Member #

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

I did 3 nights camping last week and did the following on the 3 nights. Not referencing breakfast and lunch they were uber basic not worth mentioning:
  1. Dirty rice - 1/2 lb. ground beef I brought frozen, pre-made rice (kind that comes in microwavable small bowls), some spices. Beef was 90/10 I just left the fat in it, did not drain. Also added 1-2 slices of cheese and mixed in.
  2. Pre-made pasta (the kind that comes in the microwavable bags), italian sausage, arribiatta spicy sauce
  3. Had a leftover italian sausage from night before, added it to a can of hormel chili with beans and added some spices and cheese.
All meals easy and basic but enjoyed them all. Note on the italian suasage I was surpised how long it took to cook them in the pan, even when covered. I added a bit water after I got them browned a bit to help steam them to completion. Took at least 30 minutes, at least it felt like that long. It was cold a dark. Cold may have played a factor in cook time.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

Here is my basic recipe that I can't do without when camping, I can get by with bagged breakfasts and dehydrated dinner and I won't complain - but this is a staple.

Campfire - first get that nice slow, hot fire going with a good bed of coals and some larger logs that will burn for a while. Be sure you have a nice comfortable place to sit, because this one will take a while. You have a classic enameled metal camp cup right? If not, you need one. For some reason titanium or other materials just don't work as well. Now, stare into the coals, listen to the sounds, smell the air getting cold as the light fades.

Pour a splash of bourbon into the cup. Sip slowly while watching your caveman TV and listening to the animals bed down for the night. If you're lucky you will catch a glimpse of some bats or maybe an owl passing just overhead. Be still, drink your whiskey, listen. Refill cup as needed (shouldn't need a lot, this isn't about getting sloshed, just relaxing).

Best damn food for the soul I've ever found.

Optional garnish: A nice cigar of dubious legal status imported from a particular Caribbean island.

• Love
Reactions: 9Mike2 and Ragman

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

Here is my basic recipe that I can't do without when camping, I can get by with bagged breakfasts and dehydrated dinner and I won't complain - but this is a staple.

Campfire - first get that nice slow, hot fire going with a good bed of coals and some larger logs that will burn for a while. Be sure you have a nice comfortable place to sit, because this one will take a while. You have a classic enameled metal camp cup right? If not, you need one. For some reason titanium or other materials just don't work as well. Now, stare into the coals, listen to the sounds, smell the air getting cold as the light fades.

Pour a splash of bourbon into the cup. Sip slowly while watching your caveman TV and listening to the animals bed down for the night. If you're lucky you will catch a glimpse of some bats or maybe an owl passing just overhead. Be still, drink your whiskey, listen. Refill cup as needed (shouldn't need a lot, this isn't about getting sloshed, just relaxing).

Best damn food for the soul I've ever found.

Optional garnish: A nice cigar of dubious legal status imported from a particular Caribbean island.
Do whiskey and cigars count as two of the food groups?

Ron W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Herriman, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRQT933
Service Branch
US Navy
Unfortunately they no longer make it, but for me it was Big John's Beans and Fixins.

• Sad