Enthusiast I

Portland, ME, USA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Young
Service Branch
US Army Veteran
I don't think I've been on an overnight camping adventure in the last 10 years that we didn't have some sort of pancakes or ployes. Generally with fruit or peanut butter and real Maple Syrup.

For dinners we almost always make black bean quesadillas and chili mac.

But for what makes me think of camping exclusively, I'll have to add my mark to the S'mores train.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I don't think I've been on an overnight camping adventure in the last 10 years that we didn't have some sort of pancakes or ployes. Generally with fruit or peanut butter and real Maple Syrup.

For dinners we almost always make black bean quesadillas and chili mac.

But for what makes me think of camping exclusively, I'll have to add my mark to the S'mores train.
Has anyone said tortilla with peanut butter and honey?! Sugars, proteins, carbs. Great fast trail snack. That’s what my Dad would throw at us four kids while backpacking and I still have it today.

Reactions: 12C20 and Elzevir

Jk.Overland

Rank III

Pathfinder III

Pearl, Mississippi, United States
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Hennessy
Member #

If there is one food that defines the vision of "camping" food what would you say it is? This week I posted my video on the food that I think fits the bill. Let's see what everyone thinks is the definitive image of camping food!

ramen or "cup of noodles" - they are cheap, easy to pack, light, and they fill me up.

Seamoss

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Winchester, KY, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Mitchell
Member #

Service Branch
Army 2002-2008
I'm surprised to not see any recommendations for Ramen Bombs. More popular in the backpacking/mountaineering/climbing community I guess but I always keep the stuff to make a few in the truck.

The base recipe is a pack of ramen and a pack of instant mashed potatoes. Cook the ramen, set the noodles aside, use the water to make the instant mashed potatoes, add the noodles back in. I rarely use the ramen seasoning.

There are a million variations but I like to add some cheese and hot sauce.

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

I'm surprised to not see any recommendations for Ramen Bombs. More popular in the backpacking/mountaineering/climbing community I guess but I always keep the stuff to make a few in the truck.

The base recipe is a pack of ramen and a pack of instant mashed potatoes. Cook the ramen, set the noodles aside, use the water to make the instant mashed potatoes, add the noodles back in. I rarely use the ramen seasoning.

There are a million variations but I like to add some cheese and hot sauce.
I do similar but drain the water, add a can of tuna and some hot sauce and cheese. I do use half tha packet of seasoning at least.

Reactions: Seamoss

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Food is a good portion of enjoying overlanding for me. It is fun to be in a group where everyone brings plenty of food options and a couple people cook each night and we all just sort of take turns and feed each other. Food can be a great experience all on it's own. Mountain house meals are just kinda depressing to me, but they are certainly easy and don't require all the gear I bring. :D

Lately I've been using an oven...

1637348600012.png
1637348667263.png
1637348637829.png

Seamoss

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Winchester, KY, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Mitchell
Member #

Service Branch
Army 2002-2008
I do similar but drain the water, add a can of tuna and some hot sauce and cheese. I do use half tha packet of seasoning at least.
I love adding tuna or beef jerky. Spam is common in the climber community but I hate that crap.

When solo overlanding, I typically always keep a can or two of vegge-all or just peas and carrots to round out the bombs from a nutritional perspective.

I'll also mention.. I only "rough" it when out alone, mostly due to being lazy or wanting to spend my time doing something else other than cooking. While in groups, we get pretty intense with our meals. Last weekend I roasted a duck and made "duck and dumplin" stew to keep a big group warm in a sub-freezing trip.

Reactions: Nickel and Mike W

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Food is a good portion of enjoying overlanding for me. It is fun to be in a group where everyone brings plenty of food options and a couple people cook each night and we all just sort of take turns and feed each other. Food can be a great experience all on it's own. Mountain house meals are just kinda depressing to me, but they are certainly easy and don't require all the gear I bring. :D

Lately I've been using an oven...

View attachment 216339
View attachment 216341
View attachment 216340
Love the setup!

Ursa Major

Rank VI

Influencer I

Woodstock, Vermont, United States
First Name
Gunnar
Last Name
Nourse
Member #

Tortilla, some form of seasoned meat, and cheese. Simple, fast, easy burrito setup. Last one we did was taco seasoned steak tips with cheese we bought in Wisconsin on our way to Montana. Being from Vermont this is gonna sound blasphemous, but that was some damn good cheese!

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

If we're going to use the term "Quintessential" it depends on if we're talking modern or not. For me, back in the days of scouts youth and such, it would have been a foil pack meal. Steak, veg, some seasoning, get the fire roaring and bury it in the coals for 30 minutes. Nowadays, with fridges (or at least better coolers) and camp cookware that's on par with a well equipped kitchen, it would be either a nice broiled steak with foil pack baked potato (still the best way to do a bake when camping imho) or the pancakes for breakfast.

That said, ironically our pre-overlanding camping (we're only just starting that side) would usually include a sausage/hot dog over the fire the first night since we got in late, then my go-to for the "fancy" meal was fajitas.