Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

If I am solo...
  1. Dinner: canned chili, canned beans, canned dinty moor beefstew, ramen noodles and SPAM are my go to dinner meals. 1-pan to cook in and easy cleanup on all of them. All can be supplemented with something easy like crackers.
  2. Lunch: Canned tuna or deli meat sandwiches
  3. Breakfast: Try to keep easy and basic - pop tarts, instant oat meal.
With Family/Friends:
  1. Dinner: I try to precut meats into chunks for easier/faster cooking and serve with minute rice or tortillas. Pasta is a good easy one. Saw someone earlier recommended pre-cooking pasta a few minutes and putting in a zip lock bag in the cooler. Then finishing it off IN THE SAUCE pan for 1-pot meal. Like that idea.
  2. Lunch: See above for solo
  3. Breakfast: Eggs/Sausage/Tortillas at least one day. I skip the bacon, longer to cook and maybe it is me but the bees LOVE the bacon. And I hate the bees. Stepped on a beehive when I was 5. Something like 25 stings and ended up at the ER. One pack up days, breakfast is skipped or it is simple. See solo above.

Matt Hixson

Rank V

Member I

Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
Mind sharing your recipe for the 4 ingredient pancakes? I see the ingredients, just wondering about ratios. Thanks!

Reactions: Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Mind sharing your recipe for the 4 ingredient pancakes? I see the ingredients, just wondering about ratios. Thanks!
Hey Matt - I wouldn't have seen your request here if you hadn't liked my post and came looking to see who's added what to the thread. . . best to quote someone so they're alerted.

Here's the post I made beginning of 2020 with the details on the 4 Ingredient Pancakes. I've made them a bunch of times since and always love 'em. I like them a lot more than the branded box mixes.

Enjoy!

Reactions: 9Mike2

Matt Hixson

Rank V

Member I

Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
Hey Matt - I wouldn't have seen your request here if you hadn't liked my post and came looking to see who's added what to the thread. . . best to quote someone so they're alerted.

Here's the post I made beginning of 2020 with the details on the 4 Ingredient Pancakes. I've made them a bunch of times since and always love 'em. I like them a lot more than the branded box mixes.

Enjoy!

I thought of that after I posted and was hoping that the website would notify you that I had replied by the fact that I had hit the reply button. Good to know that I need to quote, thanks.

And thanks for the recipe. I just picked up some keto ancient grains flour today and am looking for things to try making with it.

Reactions: Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I thought of that after I posted and was hoping that the website would notify you that I had replied by the fact that I had hit the reply button. Good to know that I need to quote, thanks.

And thanks for the recipe. I just picked up some keto ancient grains flour today and am looking for things to try making with it.
I think you might be able to set preferences so it does that (some forums do), though when you've added content to a ton of threads, then you get alerted to when anyone replies, even if not to just your post. I don't get alerted here unless someone likes a post of mine or quotes it.

Hope the recipe works out for you, and hope you post up with images in the Pancake thread if it does, or with another thread in the general Kitchen, Cooking, and Recipes if you find other cool recipes to use the ancient grains.

Reactions: Matt Hixson

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
Sliders.jpeg
Wagyu beef rybeyes first night and then with the trim, make sliders with Hatch peppers from New Mexico that I roasted. Made Slider buns adding more chopped Hatch Peppers, grew red onions in the garden from seed, harvested and pickled, cured wild boar bacon, sliced crisped up and put on said sliders

Last edited:

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Hmmm, I am confused. I know this thread is about food but I am new and want to make sure I am doing this right! I just hit reply to your post and it looks like it automatically tagged and quoted you. Am I suppose to do more than that? I don't see an actual "Quote" option like I see on other sites, seems hitting "reply" to a specific comment does the trick.

EDIT - Nevermid I see the exchange above, there was no quoting via the "reply" button.

To make sure I am contributing to the topic on this - "Bagels and Cream Cheese" another nice basic easy staple for breakfast and you can double up the use of the bagels for lunch with sandwich meat!

Reactions: Matt Hixson

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
Hmmm, I am confused. I know this thread is about food but I am new and want to make sure I am doing this right! I just hit reply to your post and it looks like it automatically tagged and quoted you. Am I suppose to do more than that? I don't see an actual "Quote" option like I see on other sites, seems hitting "reply" to a specific comment does the trick.

EDIT - Nevermid I see the exchange above, there was no quoting via the "reply" button.

To make sure I am contributing to the topic on this - "Bagels and Cream Cheese" another nice basic easy staple for breakfast and you can double up the use of the bagels for lunch with sandwich meat!
love a toasted schmeared bagel

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Gotta be chili for me. Whether you heat up a can or spend hours slow-cooking it from scratch in a dutch oven, there's nothing like a hot bowl of chili by the fire at the end of the day.
I camp alone or with 1 or 2 of my boys so we generally stick to simple menus. The traditional hot dogs, burgers, and maybe a pork loin for meats. I like the Chili idea of heating up a can and just adding in freshly cooked burger, simple and easy. I guess I'll have to go to Walmart and grab several different brands of canned chili and give them a try to see which one I can add to my camp menu! What is your go to Chili in a can if you don't mind me asking?

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

I camp alone or with 1 or 2 of my boys so we generally stick to simple menus. The traditional hot dogs, burgers, and maybe a pork loin for meats. I like the Chili idea of heating up a can and just adding in freshly cooked burger, simple and easy. I guess I'll have to go to Walmart and grab several different brands of canned chili and give them a try to see which one I can add to my camp menu! What is your go to Chili in a can if you don't mind me asking?
I am a Hormel Chili kind of guy. Sits well in my stomach and has a variety to choose from (with beans, without beans, spicy, and I thik they have a tobasco flavored one). I usually add a can of chili beans to supplement but I like your idea of adding some ground burger.

The sitting well in my stomach part, I will give you an example. Costco sells a canned brand called Cattle Drive. It has chunks of meat instead of ground meat. It tastes fine. But goes right thru me!

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I am a Hormel Chili kind of guy. Sits well in my stomach and has a variety to choose from (with beans, without beans, spicy, and I thik they have a tobasco flavored one). I usually add a can of chili beans to supplement but I like your idea of adding some ground burger.

The sitting well in my stomach part, I will give you an example. Costco sells a canned brand called Cattle Drive. It has chunks of meat instead of ground meat. It tastes fine. But goes right thru me!
I picked up 5 different canned Chili's at Walmart yesterday so we're going to have a taste test this weekend to see how they are. I'm not into super spicy so just picked up the regular homestyle flavors. If I want it spicier I can add some in once I get a base canned chili I really like. I think I picked up 1 each of Hormel, Campbells, Wolf, Walmart brand and 1 more I can't remember. Once we test them we'll rank them by taste and then I'll eat a bowl of each over time and see how the stomach test goes!

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

I picked up 5 different canned Chili's at Walmart yesterday so we're going to have a taste test this weekend to see how they are. I'm not into super spicy so just picked up the regular homestyle flavors. If I want it spicier I can add some in once I get a base canned chili I really like. I think I picked up 1 each of Hormel, Campbells, Wolf, Walmart brand and 1 more I can't remember. Once we test them we'll rank them by taste and then I'll eat a bowl of each over time and see how the stomach test goes!
This taste test is only valid once you post the results of your findings!

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
View attachment 208820
Wagyu beef rybeyes first night and then with the trim, make sliders with Hatch peppers from New Mexico that I roasted. Made Slider buns adding more chopped Hatch Peppers, grew red onions in the garden from seed, harvested and pickled, cured wild boar bacon, sliced crisped up and put on said sliders
Man I want to hang out with you!
Those look fantastic!

• Love