What is the last thing you bought and plan to buy?

• HTML tutorial

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Yea, I have the larger RAM mount for the iPad on the right side as well. It is large and I’m looking for something smaller as well. Honestly I end up grabbing for the phone instead most of the time, but it’s nice to have the larger screen for maps.
Agreed, I use it for mostly Navigation (mainly when I need to reroute off a planned drive) and radar/weather.

Reactions: LockedRunner

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
@LockedRunner out of curiosity, because I just did this, did you upgrade the ball mount for the iPad to the C size? When I did this I end up with no flex/sag in the arm. It is totally solid at this point.

Reactions: Advtres

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I put this here, instead of recovery due to having a larger impact and viewership, along with a cautionary tale.:

So I decided to do a upgrade that I had put off due to cost. When I had my 17.5 K winch installed, I found out that because of the size, the winch hook had to be larger than standard. Because of this, you could not spool the cable in and have the hook be put flush between the rollers. This was a problem as I used the ARB plate slot for a aux plate, and used a roller fair-lead license plate holder for my State issued one. With the clips snapped over the rollers, there was not enough clearance for the hook. The solution was the Factor 55 flat link. However the price caused me pause, as I did not want to put that much out lay on a convenience item, even though I recognized the safety aspect of a 'closed-link' attachment. i had considered the Smittybilt thimble but it had gone up in price from about $45 to $79 in less than a year, but it would not have addressed the clearance problem I faced. I came across this product, Which is a clone of the Factor 55 flat- link. It is a nice copy and has the rated strength needed for a 17K rope cable. Offered by MZS tuning at $49.99, it was at a price point that I could not pass up on at Amazon. This product checks the boxes for my clearance issue and having a CLOSED LOOP system for my winch. It will allow both front plates mounted at the same time and keep the police happy.

Story:
Years ago while driving along a area where there had been a off-road race the week-end before, I came across a buried F-150 4x4 that had driven into an area where the dirt had been stirred into talc like fine powder. They had been stuck for many hours in 115' heat with little water during high summer. No shovel, No traction boards, and no place anywhere to attach their winch to. The trucks owner had installed a closed link thimble inplace of the hook,........BUT......had not bothered to bring a shackle/D-ring with him to attach to another recovery device. Lucky for him or unlucky depending on your view, he had synthetic line. So to use the winch as a tow line/recovery line, we cut the thimble off, so we could tie a knot to my D-ring to pull him out, then cut some more line to detach the knot. Motto to the story,..............bring the additional recovery gear for any upgrades you plan, and bring necessary water for unforeseen stuck situations, as They had been stuck for hours and practically threw themselves in front of my vehicle to get my attention. No one had come their way in the hours they had been stuck. OBLogo-Gold_Outlined_100x.png

Attachments

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
After fixing my son's flat tire, I discovered I too had a nail in my tire. Since I needed more plugs, it seemed like a good time to replace the old leaky air hose with a new one also.

Attachments

Reactions: Shahn

RamblingRanger

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Virginia
First Name
David
Last Name
T
Member #

I just received my Lockright locker for my rear. I’ll put it in in couple weeks. Next on the list is a rear bumper with a swing out tire carrier. My truck is almost complete, I think I only have 20 more things I want to do to it.

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Just put an order in for a bunch of valve shims and some shock servicing tools... I still have to track down some longer reservoir hoses, shock fluid, rebuild kits, IFP's and shock fluid, but its almost time to pull the shocks and rebuild/revalve em.

Reactions: Shahn and roots66

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Just bought five new tires for my TJ - Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT in an LT285/75/16 size. So far very happy and impressed with them. They are an aggressive AT tire with large side lugs, but also have the three-peak snowflake designation for snow. They also have three plies in the sidewalls. I honestly hadn't seen one in person till they were on the Jeep. Got them through Discount Tire. They're a heavy tire, but should be pretty much bulletproof.

Link: Mickey Thompson | Baja Boss A/T (mickeythompsontires.com)

Mickey Thompson tires.1.jpg

Mickey Thompson tires.2.jpg

Last edited:

Dcwn.45

Rank IV

Member I

Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Nyman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0GNE
I just ordered 2 more Tred 1100 traction boards [I have 2 already, and I want to have 4] and a set of Staun deflators. I'm going to Baja in Feb and I won't have my new bumper by then so no winch, and I want to be as prepared as possible.

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
I just ordered 2 more Tred 1100 traction boards [I have 2 already, and I want to have 4] and a set of Staun deflators. I'm going to Baja in Feb and I won't have my new bumper by then so no winch, and I want to be as prepared as possible.
those Stauns are great FWIW. I don't use mine much anymore as I have onboard inflate & deflate, but I loved them when I did use them. Just a bit tricky at first to set PSI.

orange01z28

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Queen Creek, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Bennett
Last thing i bought was an engine/transmission skid plate, but it, like everything else, is on backorder

Next thing i plan to buy is 4.88 gears front and rear as i start collecting parts towards upgrading to 37s next year

I'm also going to get an in-bed Molle panel and a couple fuel/water tanks

I'm bucking the RTT trend and will buy a Kamp-Rite as well

Basically always buying something. Just Empty Every Pocket

Reactions: roots66 and Shahn

Shahn

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Snohomish County, WA, USA
First Name
Shahn
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRQD549
Rubber to make a gasket, my tongue box lock keeps leaking, let's hope this does the trick. I also picked up a Gas detector to make sure all my propane connections are tight, they passed the soapy water test but I like second opinions.

1642109530826.png

1642109766867.png

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Well, I made a deposit... Long Ranger aux tank.
Before ~300 mile range, 20 gal.
After ~900 mile range, 58 gal.

not my photo, will be june/july before it gets here from Australia

View attachment 220352
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I always was curious about CM's desision to install 2 different size tanks in the classic body-style Silverado's. My 2003 extra cab, short bed only offered the 25 gallon, whereas the long bed had a 35gallon size?. My max on road mileage is about 400 miles, and being a diesel, I choose not to run it til empty to find out the max range I could get. I have on a couple of runs ran the tank down past the light coming on, and upon refill, put 26.5+ gallons in. But that was filled into the filler neck. I had looked at the titan upsize tanks, but they when mounted, hung 2 inches below the frame rails. Being a 4x4 pickup, and off- roading, that was not acceptable for my intended use. Extra Jerry can's would have to do.

I think there was 1 time I pulled into a fuel station, and the engine stumbled as I pulled up to the pump. If I remember right, I had driven 430+ miles, but that had been all HWY.

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
Both CVs, passenger side Hub, all four shocks, differential lift kit, full set of TPMS, full set of tires.
She got us home before showing signs that we may have over done it on the last trip.
We learn something new everytime we go out. But the next low watercrossing we aren't taking on water!

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
Replacing my rear brake lines I noticed the rear shock mounts naked and exposed just staring at me saying
”hey we are just sitting here lower then everything else waiting to get bashed by the next big rock“

- Rear shock mount protectors… obviously.

Reactions: Shahn and roots66