What is the last thing you bought and plan to buy?

• HTML tutorial

KarmaSeoul

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Baton Rouge, LA, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
D
Member #

Bought and installed a used arb single compressor for the tires. Had a chopped up harness so that was fun.

Next purchase, I really should do a lift. Been saying that for years but probably be the next thing.

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Bought and installed a used arb single compressor for the tires. Had a chopped up harness so that was fun.

Next purchase, I really should do a lift. Been saying that for years but probably be the next thing.
I feel you on the lift. I inteded to do it for 2 years before i pulled the trigger. I do not regret it at all though. Take the plunge!

Reactions: KarmaSeoul

KarmaSeoul

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Baton Rouge, LA, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
D
Member #

I feel yeah on the lift. I inteded to do it for 2 years before i pulled the trigger. I do not regret it at all though. Take the plunge!
Putting two options together. Lead times are bit hard but completely understandable. Hopefully have something for the next event in the fall.

DieselRamOverlander

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Clovis, CA, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Thissell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRMP824

With as used to camping without solar as you are already, @Billiebob, you might find you don't need as much as 200w of panel.

I've used a 120w folding panel for years on my trailer, feeding 100ah of deep cycle (two 50ah batteries) through a simple Zamp Charge Controller. It's been plenty for what I need: a low draw 12v ARB fridge, 12v water pump, air compressor, trailer lights, 2x 12v outlet which I use for charging mobile devices, camera batteries, etc.

The system is independent of the starting system. I've found that strapping my folding panel to the roof of the RTT when parked or underway, it does a great job keeping the deep cycles topped off all year long.

I have a 1000w inverter hooked up to the deep cycle, too, that I use occasionally to charge my bike battery or run an electric hair clipper, etc.

The charge controller shows me how much the panel is putting in, charging status, battery condition, etc. and can be easily set for different types of batteries; AGM, etc, though the one I have does not do lithium batteries, I don't think.

View attachment 197132
It's worked so well for me that I'm duplicatingthe same exact set up on my van so I have redundant systems that can run independently if away from basecamp or if I just take the van for a photography outing. Then whoever is back at camp still has power, too.

Yes, anything you connect to the deep cycle should be fused. Easiest is to connect a Blue Sea Fuse Block to your battery, then run your wiring from that to whatever outlets, lights, air compressor, etc. I have a 12 circuit Blue Sea at right in the image above, though the link I provided goes to a 6 circuit. Most people find that once they have a solar set up and power stored in a deep cycle, they find other 12v things they'd like to power, too. Like a fan, another outlet with USB like you show, etc. So, sometimes it's easier to go ahead and install a fuse block with more circuits from the start.

I do have an inline battery charger/maintainer, too (a NOCO Genius Mini 2), that takes shore power and keeps your batteries in shape when parked. Though with my panel on the roof full time through the winter, or moved around camp when camping, I haven't had to use it to charge/maintain my batteries in a over a year and half.

Here's my current power center setup, though it certainly does not need all this to be effective for what you want to do:

View attachment 197136
Clockwise from top left:
- 110 outlet box (in from shore power, out from inverter),
- 2x 50ah deep cycles (stacked)
- toggle switches above the batteries for the rock lights, trailer lights, air compressor, water pump, etc
- 12 circuit Blue Sea Fuse Block (right wall)
- ARB air compressor relay
- ARB air compressor beneath that
- Genius Mini2 battery charger/maintainer
- 1000w pure sine inverter
- port for passing through air hose, extension cords, etc

Looks more complicated than it is.

Hope that helps. If there's any other info I can help with, let me know.
Great information, and a clean set up!!! you make it so incredibly simple.!!! Thank You!!!

Reactions: Road

Widgeonmangh

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Just placed the order. No more condensation due to Mr. Heater in the tent. Place I got it from is out of stock but in talking with customer service they reordered and the manufacturer is supposed to ship next week and I will have it before any big trips I have planned. Especially prior to elk hunting in Sept. Can't wait.

Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 9.24.14 AM.png

TacoMacs

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Louisville, KY, USA
First Name
DarinAndJen
Last Name
TacoMacs
Member #

Cali Raised Ditch Lights for the hood. Just put them on. Also a hoist system to take my damn RTT off the overland bed bars. Just have to install the system in my garage. Next up.... Once my bank account recovers from the ICON Stage 2 and new KO2s.... New front bumper and winch. Or a good beer wench.

MBDSRD1

Rank I

Enthusiast I

PNW
First Name
M
Last Name
B
So, we all probably have a huge list of upgrades and things we want to buy..
So what is the last thing you bought, and what is next on the list?

Last things I bought that where on the list are a pack of zip ties and some good working gloves :P

Next thing, besides actually getting a Landcruiser is going to be some locking nuts for the spare tire and a spare lamp kit ;)
Last thing I bought was a Noco jump starter. Already managed to use it haha.

Next up would be a set of Bilstein 4600 and springs to go along with them. Just waiting for payday...

Advocate III

King County, WA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Aurich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WREY362
Desert Does It driver seat jackers and multi mount panel and Ohio Diesel Parts seat jackers for the 2nd row in my Jeep JLUR. My kid has already voiced his approval of the additional recline and my long legs like the extra space in the driver seat as well.

Reactions: roots66