What is the last thing you bought and plan to buy?

• HTML tutorial

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Glad you found it. Yeah I’m not into that area of customization yet so I’m not sure. And unfortunately they said it could be as long as 12 weeks before I get this. So I have no idea.
Yeah, looks like 5% max stretch or less on most products. They sure seem to have figured out the net and barrier biz.

Businesses all around the world, especially in the outdoor world now that spring is here, are experiencing back logs. Partly from demand, though in large part too because of delays in raw materials being shipped to manufacturers. Can't get the material, you can't make the product. Then on top of that, traditional shippers like USPS, UPS, and FedEx are all overwhelmed. I've had outgoing order that took a month to get where they're going.

I'll be interested to see how you like yours when you get it.
Yeah I totally understand the supply chain is a bit jacked up. I’m just happy I’ll have it for the second half of the year. Obviously I would love to have earlier but I can be patient. But I will update when I receive this.

Reactions: Road

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Businesses all around the world, especially in the outdoor world now that spring is here, are experiencing back logs
Got new set of tires yesterday and had to wait a week. They said they had been hard to get. Glad I didn't wait even though I had a few miles left on the old ones. I just stuck the old ones in the shed because I am a borderline hoarder.

I don't understand the backlog in ammunition that's been going on for quite a while. Seems like what's available is very expensive. Not a problem for me really, but seems like demand would create some new businesses. Lots of shortages all around. I know shipping containers have been short and prices high there also. I expect inflation to accelerate. Guess I'll have to implement my austerity program!

Reactions: Road

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Got new set of tires yesterday and had to wait a week. They said they had been hard to get. Glad I didn't wait even though I had a few miles left on the old ones. I just stuck the old ones in the shed because I am a borderline hoarder.

I don't understand the backlog in ammunition that's been going on for quite a while. Seems like what's available is very expensive. Not a problem for me really, but seems like demand would create some new businesses. Lots of shortages all around. I know shipping containers have been short and prices high there also. I expect inflation to accelerate. Guess I'll have to implement my austerity program!
Yeah I got lucky with my tires back in Jan before they went out of stock. As for ammo yeah that one is odd since it's been that way for a while. But who knows.

By the way nice Tacoma!

Reactions: FishinCrzy

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

2001 Tahoe front end rebuild and CVs- a little full size love.
MOOG problem solver loaded upper and lower control arms, inner and outer tie rods, pitman arm, idler assy, premium CVs. Installed and done at 186K miles.
Original hubs still are tight, but likely be the next thing I buy for it since I did not swap new ones in when it was apart and easy. No cheap deed goes unpunished.
For the full size guys, here is finally a decent front CV- if you can find it. About 3 times the price of stock replacements, about 1/3 the price of customs.

1619025390839.png 1619026012253.png

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Impulse purchase, because I'm a container geek and, for fifteen bucks, couldn't pass it up.

It's a "Vintage Serbian Military Medical Case," according to Coleman's Military Surplus. They're a company with an interesting history, informative blog posts on everything from boots to survival shelters, and all sorts of gear that may be of interest to adventurers.

I think I found out about Coleman's from @Correus mentioning it somewhere, or in a thread he was involved in about kitting out his rig. Someone correct me on that if I'm wrong.

Serbian_6103-800.jpeg
If I don't store first aid supplies in it, I'll put a sticker of some sort over the red cross, so someone doesn't grab it in an emergency then find out it's full of socks or toilet paper or something.

Serbian_6104-800.jpeg
I'll probably remove the backpack straps and keep them for re-purposing on something else.

Serbian_6105-800.jpg....Serbian_6107-800.jpeg

I'll most likely use this as an all-purpose case for everything from cordage to sewing materials and art supplies, to bushcraft gear, or larger first-aid supplies than what I typically keep in my FAKs. Might come in handy as a desk of sorts, too.

I love the way it is made. I'm a fan of old steamer trunks, hard canvas covered suitcases, and all sorts of associated hardware like these metal corner protectors. Has that old attic canvas smell, so I'll de-mildew it and let it sit in the sun.

I suspect it will go on one or two adventures with me, then probably be relegated to holding overflow gear in storage. It would be perfect to hold all the varieties of SPAM that @grubworm keeps around, so maybe I'll fill it up and leave it in his driveway :tonguewink: with just the tag below:

Serbian_6108-700.JPG.

In the same order, I got a 4 pack of "U.S. GI Melamine Drinking Tumblers" and a 4 pack of "Vibrant Hungarian Military Hand Towels," which are approx 20" x 35" and big enough to use as a towel. I'll keep them in different places like bike and canoe packs to use both as emergency signal colors and all purpose towels.

GI-cups-Hungarian-towels_6110-800.jpg

Next up is getting stuff to complete the installation of a solar panel and battery system in the van to match what I have for the trailer, to expand the type of adventuring and photography outings I can do this summer and fall.

Attachments

Last edited:

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

New portable fire pit/grill arrived today. All steel, weighs 17 pounds and packs flat.

Looks good! Hope you use it a ton and that it serves you as well as the flat-pack I got. I love mine, though a bit heavier than yours in total weight, in that it has a steel top too, not the stainless grill like yours. I love that they pack up flat and can be slid right along side my cases and containers and not take up a bunch more room.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Looks good! Hope you use it a ton and that it serves you as well as the flat-pack I got. I love mine, though a bit heavier than yours in total weight, in that it has a steel top too, not the stainless grill like yours. I love that they pack up flat and can be slid right along side my cases and containers and not take up a bunch more room.
The flat pack is what I’ve been looking for. Most i see aren’t any fancier, but do have the $$$ overland tax.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
A TeraFlex 2WD low kit for my 98 TJ's NP231 transfer case. I'm running an Aussie locker in the front (Detroit locker rear), and sometimes it wants to swing wide in 4WD low on hairpin curves.

Link: TJ: NP231-J 2Low 2WD Low-Range Shift Sector Kit - TeraFlex

Not for the faint of heart. It is a dirty, messy, involved job - fortunately this wasn't the first time I've been inside my transfer case (put the SYE kit in it years ago). I installed it with the transfer case attached to the tranny.

Yesterday was getting ready for the job - supporting the transmission while dropping the skid plate, and then dropping the driveshafts and lubing them (the front driveshaft is a pain to lube at the transfer case end). Some of the grease fittings used a needle attachment.

Then today was splitting the case, installing the parts, then putting it all back together again (much easier said than done). I had a dent in my skid plate that I straightened out with a big hammer while I had it out, and wire brushed some spots that were getting rusty and then some black spray-paint (on the skid plate, and under the frame where the skid plate attaches). I tested it out - it works. I thought the front of the Jeep was going to lift off the ground when I tried out 2WD low (and I've got a four cylinder engine).

Snow.1.jpg

Last edited:

Eric Wade

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Leesburg, Texas, United States
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Wade
Member #

So, we all probably have a huge list of upgrades and things we want to buy..
So what is the last thing you bought, and what is next on the list?

Last things I bought that where on the list are a pack of zip ties and some good working gloves :P

Next thing, besides actually getting a Landcruiser is going to be some locking nuts for the spare tire and a spare lamp kit ;)
We bought a Sportz Truck Tent, blue and gray to match the truck. We haven't had a chance to use it yet, but we did set it up on the truck to test fit.

Reactions: roots66 and Road

Western

Rank V

Member II

Johns Creek, GA, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Bowman
Member #

Last: ROAM Adventure Co 83L Storage Box and Storage box organizers.

Next: Rallytek 1” Body Lift Spacers to correct suspension Geometry

Later: Portable Grilling, Gazelle T4 Tent

Reactions: roots66 and Road

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Fired it up this evening for some jalapeño cheddar brats and corn on the cob.

Attachments

WolfCamp Offroad

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midland, Tx USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Steele
Member #

just getting started on my new build last thing I got was the jacker 240 and a new coleman 2 burner stove hoping to buy a fridge here soon aint got the money for a dometic but ive seen some promising options online that are about quarter the price

Reactions: roots66

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

The last thing I bought was 4 new tires for my hatchback that I bought today, got Falken Ziex ZE310 in a 205/50-15 size

Last edited:
Reactions: roots66

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

anything I buy I like to eliminate technology, buy simple, spend less
overlanding I keep as simple as possible

Next big buy will be power for a fridge.... plus a bit of expandability for cell, tablet charging, but I can do that daily driving the Jeep.
For now fridge power plus a bit

With a trailer I'm leaning to pure solar, if a charging curcuit is required off the Jeep, I'll add it later but I'm hoping for pure solar on the trailer to do it all.
Most fridges draw 5 to 6 amps. The best buys for permanent roof top solar seem to be in the 200-240 watt range which I think will charge a battery in ideal conditions in about 8 to 10 hours maybe less under clear skies if the fridge is the only draw.

Any advice on how niave I am will be appreciated.

Thinking something like this.

less the inverter

51O6gR8Y4cL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

plus the 12V outlet, 2 USB Port thingee.... if it will connect direct to the battery ? or will it require fuses too

71CrekE74zL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

VS.....

which adds the 12V out to the fridge plus 2 USB ports...... but does this include curcuit bearkers for the 12V output ?

61xTdUgT48L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Last edited: