What is the last thing you bought and plan to buy?

• HTML tutorial

Hectorp

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Boca Raton, FL, USA
First Name
Hector
Last Name
Perez
Member #

I love my ultra swing. 2 issues to consider. I mounted my licence plate and the tire 33" partially covers it. So consider how high you mount it. I didn't mount it all the way up. Second the holes for the pin and teather fill with water. The pin started to rust so I lubricated it and the hole. A month or so later the ball and the spring in the pin fell out. It worked but at some point I lost it. I ordered a couple more. RIGd UltraSwing Replacement Pin and Tether
Good things to know, I wonder why the hole doesn’t go all the way through to allow for drainage. It should arrive Tuesday, I run 33” tires as well.

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

Just ordered a Trasharoo spare tire bag. Not 100% sure how it will work with my spare tire setup (Pajeros have a stylish, but kind of annoying spare tire cage thing) but, I might be able to bodge something together. If not, I could probably sell it on locally pretty easily as they aren't readily available here.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Just arrived. Now to find someone to put it on for me.. Yehaaaaa

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I’m in love with my new purchase. I am Jackery Addicted. 15 hours my Jackery ran my Dometic ice box for 15 hours. Bad weather has socked in. My Jackery runs everything from my knife sharpener to the lights outside my Off Grid Trailer.
View attachment 135530View attachment 135531View attachment 135532View attachment 135533View attachment 135534View attachment 135535View attachment 135536
Awning and lighting details please. I Like the Jackery too but already have a less expensive and more complicated set up. Maybe some day a Jackery !

Reactions: RoarinRow

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Just arrived. Now to find someone to put it on for me.. Yehaaaaa

It looks like it has the ability, to take a grill protection hoop, by the 2 holes in the upper section (provided link). Or are those for a pair of AUX lights? Plastic fenders have no place on a off-road vehicle. Recovery hooks are the.....BARE MININUM. It is a shame that you have/had to go after-market. My dads old 1967 D-200 Dodge was able to be jacked up off the the ground by a old style OEM bumper jack. Those were some thick/heavy steel bumpers. Of course made before CAFE/EPA regulations that had the manufacturers shedding pounds wherever they could. The body panels on that truck, went CLUNK, instead of DING when rapped with your knuckle.

IMO opinion, any truck taken off-road, towed with, slow snow play, or kept for the long term, should have the following:

Tow-Hooks..........................................................................recovery, you or someone else
Tow Hitch package..............................................................recovery, or for the OEM HD cooling package...aka transmission longevity

additionally, optional if offered......

Some type of minimum skid plate for the oil pan,............More skid plates the better, if offered (OEM), or aftermarket
A rear locker........................................................................helps the novice, and the experienced in difficult situations
Upgraded air filter (OEM), if offered,..................................Not aftermarket OPEN ELEMENT, under hood styles. to include GM, FORD, other brands?

After Market.........as you add gear (safety)

Rear hitch stinger................................................................ for above mentioned reasons
1x Snatch strap w/2 D- shackles........................................ OR...New recovery ropes are a better alternative w/ 2 rated soft shackles, MINIMUM
.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
At this point you can add gear (comfort) to fit your needs and personality.

Us off-roaders never had it so good for options and gear. In the day 1960's), it was limbs for traction boards, chains for kinetic straps and rope, spliced wiring harnesses for hitch towing, maybe/maybe not P/S, narrow split rim tires/wheels :screamcat:. Winches, PTO's and WARN 8274 electric.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
It looks like it has the ability, to take a grill protection hoop, by the 2 holes in the upper section (provided link). Or are those for a pair of AUX lights? Plastic fenders have no place on a off-road vehicle. Recovery hooks are the.....BARE MININUM. It is a shame that you have/had to go after-market. My dads old 1967 D-200 Dodge was able to be jacked up off the the ground by a old style OEM bumper jack. Those were some thick/heavy steel bumpers. Of course made before CAFE/EPA regulations that had the manufacturers shedding pounds wherever they could. The body panels on that truck, went CLUNK, instead of DING when rapped with your knuckle.

IMO opinion, any truck taken off-road, towed with, slow snow play, or kept for the long term, should have the following:

Tow-Hooks..........................................................................recovery, you or someone else
Tow Hitch package..............................................................recovery, or for the OEM HD cooling package...aka transmission longevity

additionally, optional if offered......

Some type of minimum skid plate for the oil pan,............More skid plates the better, if offered (OEM), or aftermarket
A rear locker........................................................................helps the novice, and the experienced in difficult situations
Upgraded air filter (OEM), if offered,..................................Not aftermarket OPEN ELEMENT, under hood styles. to include GM, FORD, other brands?

After Market.........as you add gear (safety)

Rear hitch stinger................................................................ for above mentioned reasons
1x Snatch strap w/2 D- shackles........................................ OR...New recovery ropes are a better alternative w/ 2 rated soft shackles, MINIMUM
.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
At this point you can add gear (comfort) to fit your needs and personality.

Us off-roaders never had it so good for options and gear. In the day 1960's), it was limbs for traction boards, chains for kinetic straps and rope, spliced wiring harnesses for hitch towing, maybe/maybe not P/S, narrow split rim tires/wheels :screamcat:. Winches, PTO's and WARN 8274 electric.
Many of the things you have listed I no longer need because I wont be doing any technical trails. Some of them I am aware of but can only afford a little at a time. I've spent a year so for preparing for my off road adventures, I have enough to go to 90% of the places I want to go. What I don't have I will continue to add to my rig. I don't think anyone is ever full equipped the way they want to be if I read these threads correctly. This isn't my first rodeo but it has been many years since I did any real off roading. I retired in 1996 with the thought I would be doing this trick then. Due to my wife's illnesses I had to put it off. She passed 8 years ago and I'm just now ready to try again, That is until my legs gave out on me with severe arthritis and crushed lumbar vertebra in my back and a car accident 4 years ago that broke my ribs, punctured my lung, and separated my shoulder. My time has been spent recuperating.

I just bought the basic bumper without a lot of things I will add at a fraction of the cost. (Fully equipped bumper sells for $1495 + shipping)This bumper has the jack holes for my farm jack, it has reinforced holes for swivel recovery hardware that I can add easily, I will weld on tow hook bracketry I make myself as well as a Hoop bar for mounting off road lights similar to as attached here. The bumper is winch ready except for the fairhead. The holes on top are for the existing headlight washers. I was going to build a bumper of my own design until my legs quit on me and I can no longer do the work myself. I can build the hoop with my pipe bender and I can still weld as long as I don't have to be on my feet or get down on my knees.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

Overland True North

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Girard, OH, USA
First Name
Don
Last Name
Cur
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1DON
I'm planning to buy a roof rack for my jeep. I got an Offgrid Voyager RTT at Expo east but haven't really even able to makeup my mind on a rack for Ashley.
I just pulled the trigger on a Gobi Ranger Rack. I looked at everything trying to save a dollar and a dollar there. In the I realized that rack is 100% what I wanted from the beginning. Pay once, Cry once. 12 week wait though.

Reactions: SinisterJK

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
just got my ARE shell this week and managed to install the rack and basket on top right before the rain hit last night. heading to north georgia this weekend to try it out for a week or so

IMG_4228 (2).JPG

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

pnwexplorer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Olympia, WA
First Name
Hannah
Last Name
Lee
Member #

I’m in love with my new purchase. I am Jackery Addicted. 15 hours my Jackery ran my Dometic ice box for 15 hours. Bad weather has socked in. My Jackery runs everything from my knife sharpener to the lights outside my Off Grid Trailer.
Which model of Jackery and what solar panel is that?

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFC851
I just pulled the trigger on a Gobi Ranger Rack. I looked at everything trying to save a dollar and a dollar there. In the I realized that rack is 100% what I wanted from the beginning. Pay once, Cry once. 12 week wait though.
As of right now that's my top pick. I been going through a ton of racks checking them out and reading about them and then searching to see if anyone has any experience with them and so far what I've noticed is the cheaper racks all seem to be ridden with rust issues or they are weak. Id rather do exactly what you said, Pay once Cry Once and have peace of mind that it's going to last the test of time and also the rigors we intend to put it through traveling. post some pics when you finally get her on.

Reactions: Desert Runner