What is the last thing you bought and plan to buy?

• HTML tutorial

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Reactions: eagle_A40

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Last thing I bought for my truck(rig), is a rack. When I find the right RTT, I'll have something to mount it on.
I'm expecting the rack to arrive this Wednesday.
How fast do you think you can drive safely with an RTT on your roof considering you'll probably have a lot more accessories up there too like awnings, tools, maybe portable shower tube etc. ? I'll bet they are noisy too but I dont know. I know when I put my rack on I have a lot more noise and should probably find some kind of a spoiler for the flont edge. I'd like to put light up there too so maybe the deflector wouldnt help after all. Just thinking out loud !

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I picked up another Kenwood TM-D710Ga radio for my pickup on the Black Friday sales at HRO. I also scored a second hand Trasharoo for the trailer for a good deal from a guy in the Xterra circles.

I did some tablet shopping but got so disgusted with how the specs and info is listed online between manufactures that I wound up just buying a new laptop for the time being. I'm still do research on tablets and hopefully I'll have some idea what I want by July.....

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
There's still some good deals on Ham Radio Outlet. Check them out! I think the TM-V71A is a pretty good deal. I much prefer the full dual watch dual band.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
TerryD I wish I would have thought about getting a base station for the truck on Black Friday. Oh well will have to wait till next year. HT will have to keep holding me strong!
Not knowing what features or how expensive you want to go, I just checked on the Midland website. They have the DBR 2500 on sale, if you use a discount. From $149.99 down to $119.99 if you use the longstanding discount code.......overlandusa. Not sure when or if, they will retire the coupon price.

This discount has been around for quite awhile. Used the now discontinued discount.....cybermonday, to buy my DBR2500. I just recieved it, so no opinions yet on this 5-10-25 watt unit. Just a thought, USA service ctr vs Mainland Chinese service for the Retevis/Any Tone versions of this radio.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I picked up another Kenwood TM-D710Ga radio for my pickup on the Black Friday sales at HRO. I also scored a second hand Trasharoo for the trailer for a good deal from a guy in the Xterra circles.

I did some tablet shopping but got so disgusted with how the specs and info is listed online between manufactures that I wound up just buying a new laptop for the time being. I'm still do research on tablets and hopefully I'll have some idea what I want by July.....
Terry, I have a big question. I would like to know what is the minimum equipment needed in the boon docks to be able to communicate with someone if I was totally alone and needed to contact anyone who may hear me.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Terry, I have a big question. I would like to know what is the minimum equipment needed in the boon docks to be able to communicate with someone if I was totally alone and needed to contact anyone who may hear me.
There's so much to that question. If you want guaranteed contact EVERYWHERE, then some form of satellite coms device is needed.

I don't know your area well enough to be able to comment on the radio coverage in that area. When I travel somewhere, part of my prep is fresh into the local repeaters and at least making a list of them if not fully programming them into my radios.

Even then I've been in situations where I was unable to raise anyone from camp. If I'd have needed to make contact I would have had to drive or walk to higher ground to get out.

There's some discussion in the comms forum about different systems and their pros and cons. I'll see if I can find some of them for you to check out.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
There's so much to that question. If you want guaranteed contact EVERYWHERE, then some form of satellite coms device is needed.

I don't know your area well enough to be able to comment on the radio coverage in that area. When I travel somewhere, part of my prep is fresh into the local repeaters and at least making a list of them if not fully programming them into my radios.

Even then I've been in situations where I was unable to raise anyone from camp. If I'd have needed to make contact I would have had to drive or walk to higher ground to get out.

There's some discussion in the comms forum about different systems and their pros and cons. I'll see if I can find some of them for you to check out.
I'm not as concerned about my local areas as much as just being able to contact anyone when I am not in the cell phone range. Even in my area only a half mile away from my residence I cant get a call out on my cell phone because of the mountains blocking my signal. I'm wondering if there is a radio or some sort of devise that would allow better communication possibilities. I see you talking about HAM all the time and thought you must have something that is better than CB or Cell phone communications.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I'm not as concerned about my local areas as much as just being able to contact anyone when I am not in the cell phone range. Even in my area only a half mile away from my residence I cant get a call out on my cell phone because of the mountains blocking my signal. I'm wondering if there is a radio or some sort of devise that would allow better communication possibilities. I see you talking about HAM all the time and thought you must have something that is better than CB or Cell phone communications.
I quick glance around your area on repeater book shows only one 2m repeater in your area. I'm not familiar with the area and distances to be able to comment on its coverage or ability to do what you're asking.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I quick glance around your area on repeater book shows only one 2m repeater in your area. I'm not familiar with the area and distances to be able to comment on its coverage or ability to do what you're asking.
What do you think the forest service uses for communication ? Maybe I should talk to them. I know they don't use anything that my scanner can pick up. In fact I should just throw it away, I cant find anything on it in last 10 years.

eagle_A40

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Galvez, Louisiana. USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Somebody
Member #

How fast do you think you can drive safely with an RTT on your roof considering you'll probably have a lot more accessories up there too like awnings, tools, maybe portable shower tube etc. ?
I don't know, but I'm in no hurry to get anywhere fast.

I'll bet they are noisy too.
Not sure of that. Although, I am sure I'll find out.

I know when I put my rack on I have a lot more noise and should probably find some kind of a spoiler for the front edge. I'd like to put light up there too so maybe the deflector wouldn't help after all. Just thinking out loud !
I here ya.

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

So, we all probably have a huge list of upgrades and things we want to buy..
So what is the last thing you bought, and what is next on the list?

Last things I bought that where on the list are a pack of zip ties and some good working gloves :P

Next thing, besides actually getting a Landcruiser is going to be some locking nuts for the spare tire and a spare lamp kit ;)
The last thing I bought was an SPOD kit including the LCD screen, and will set that up this week some time. I have ditch lights already bought, but plan to buy more lighting now that everything else will be set up

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Just ordered some YELLOW TINT FILM, for a small set of white Aux 55 watt driving lights. This will make them more viable as a driving light/fog vs my larger 500 HELLA Yellow, not Amber grill lights. Snow or fog is rare in Southern NV, but when you need them, YOU NEED THEM.! Travels North, or to Utah is where I am most likely going to use them. My plan is to mount them either below the Hellas, or even lower around the sides of the license plate. I just have to see what 'tweak' is needed in a homemade mounting bracket to mount them lower. I wish ARB had designed this bumper with their aux light bracket kit as seen on many of their newer designs. A picture of the Hellas and OEM lights. You can see I need a lower mounting for light to blanket out in front of the truck.
1576000359103.png1576000442306.png
See my avatar for a general idea:sunglasses:

PS....I prefer Halogens, and traditional style lights, over the newer LED light bars. If you follow along in the feedback of lighting preferences, there has been a shift back towards these, as people realize the fatique that LED's create, due to eye strain, over time.

PSS.......

also:
Fyrlyt Driving Lights Review | Better Than LED's Seek Adventure (you-tube)

Last edited: