What is the last thing you bought and plan to buy?

• HTML tutorial

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Last thing bought is a pair of good Snow Chains. Might be doing more winter driving up over passes so have wanted these better chains. These are pretty much identical to the chains I used as a kid in the late sixties, though have a cam tightener to take up the slack. We used to rubber bungees across the face of the tires to tighten the chain to the tire better.

Though the Security Chain Co website says these don't need it, I also got a set of rubber tighteners, just in case they're a bit sloppy even with the cam tightener.

chains_8855-900.jpg...chains_8856-900.jpg

I opted for these instead of the "V Bar" Snow Chains because, though while great on ice, the V Bar chains are not as easy on bare pavement and tend to wear quicker. For my use, sporadic and more emergency-related and not continual, the chains without the V Bar will last longer.

They replace the set of Cable Chains from the same company, Security Chain Co that I've had but never used (and which are now up for sale on my site).

===========

Also bought a new set of heavy duty ratchet straps. Eager to see if they last any longer than other ratchet straps I've owned. It's getting harder and harder to find decent straps like my old sets.

ratchetstraps-900.jpg

Last edited:

eagle_A40

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Galvez, Louisiana. USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Somebody
Member #

Last thing I bought for my truck(rig) was a bed rack(ladder rack).

My truck has a very short bed @ 58.5" in length. I haul lumber for various projects. I installed a rack on my previous truck, but it did not fit on my Frontier.

This one adjust down to 58" in length. It also has a 31" over-cab extension.
Untitled.png

I plan not to drill holes in the bed rails. To secure it in place, I'll fabricate 4 brackets to attach it to the inner bed-wall Unit-Track rail system.

I haven't purchased a RTT yet, but I'm certain I can fit it onto this rack somehow.

Example: Below is a fabricated rack mount which utilizes the inner bed-wall track system.
Strap.png

Strap2.png

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Last thing I bought for my truck(rig) was a bed rack(ladder rack).

My truck has a very short bed @ 58.5" in length. I haul lumber for various projects. I installed a rack on my previous truck, but it did not fit on my Frontier.

This one adjust down to 58" in length. It also has a 31" over-cab extension.
View attachment 131581

I plan not to drill holes in the bed rails. To secure it in place, I'll fabricate 4 brackets to attach it to the inner bed-wall Unit-Track rail system.

I haven't purchased a RTT yet, but I'm certain I can fit it onto this rack somehow.

Example: Below is a fabricated rack mount which utilizes the inner bed-wall track system.
View attachment 131586

View attachment 131587
Slick set up !

Reactions: eagle_A40

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

Sure thing. I currently have Akebono pads on them now with just the Wagner solid rotors. They work very well when my truck was not lifted and without all the extra 'stuff'. I especially like how they are really dust free. But now with its current setup I can feel the extra weight and the impact on my braking power. I used Akebono on my race vehicle so I had previous experience with the brand.

I have Akebono pads on now. After a lot of left foot breaking I think they have gotten too hard. I'm going to try cheaper pads and change them more often. I have them all my other vehicles. 2005 Acura RL, 2003 Mazda Miata.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I have Akebono pads on now. After a lot of left foot breaking I think they have gotten too hard. I'm going to try cheaper pads and change them more often. I have them all my other vehicles. 2005 Acura RL, 2003 Mazda Miata.
Let us know what you go with. The selling point other than braking performance was the dustless aspect of it. I'm open to other brands so long as there is no dust. I hate/hated cleaning brake dust every couple of days.

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

Replaced my starter. I got into water a bit too deep and must have flooded it. It started giving me a delay of a second or 2 from turning the key and when too cold it wouldn't start at all. Works great now!

Reactions: eagle_A40

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I'm curious how these work out, The brakes on our '03 are medicore at best and it'd be nice to have some better ones when they go out again or at least try some better pads.
Well, I got them installed. I actually went to the shop yesterday, but as it turned out the mechanic had called in sick and they didn't have my number to call. So, I turned around this morning and finally got it done. At first they look impressive. Then as per the brake in instructions I tried to execute them as best I could in the mall parking lot. I did about 6-7 reps just enough to jump on the freeway and get home. I know they were breaking in because of the brake pad smell. I did a few more break in reps around my neighborhood just to be good. The rubbing noise at first was concerning, but after a few reps the noise is/was starting to lessen.

Performance-wise it has yet to be seen... In the meanwhile here are some shots of the install. The truck is stopping, just want to see how graceful it does the job when I need it to.

IMG_4037.JPG

IMG_4035.JPG

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Kodiak 9x8 canvas tent. Hate the weight but one night in a Saline Valley dust storm taught me I need a tent that can seal up tight and take the wind.

View attachment 133688
When it's home it should be a good one.
I like if you can stand up inside of it. I don't like caves or crawling around on my bad knees. Also why I don't like RTT's.

Reactions: JimBill