What is the last thing you bought and plan to buy?

• HTML tutorial

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

No 315/70/17 is equal to like 34.8 and 285 are like 33.4
You guys are both very close!

So, here’s an easy way to figure out overall tire diameter:

The first number, in this case, is 315. 315 is referring to the actual WIDTH of the tire, measured in millimeters. Many think it’s referencing diameter, but it’s not.

The second number, 70, is actually an aspect ratio, in percentages, of the width of the tire. The 70 aspect ratio is the SIDEWALL HEIGHT of the tire. Now remember, there’s two sidewall heights, the height between your wheel and the ground, and the height from the top of the wheel to top of tire.

To convert to inches, divide the 315 by 25.4(25.4mm’s to an inch), and you get 12.4”. That’s the width of the tire.

Now the sidewall height is the 70 aspect ratio so take 12.4 x .70 and you get 8.68”. Remember, two sidewall heights so multiply 8.68 x 2 and you get 17.36”.

Now all you need to do to get TOTAL overall diameter is add in the wheel diameter, 17 in this case, and you end up with 34.36”!

Kind of easy? Lol I learned that years ago with performance cars when you were always trying to go with bigger wheels and lower profile tires, but still keep overall diameter the same. It’s definitely very helpful!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE

The first number, in this case, is 315. 315 is referring to the actual WIDTH of the tire, measured in millimeters. Many think it’s referencing diameter, but it’s not.

The second number, 70, is actually an aspect ratio, in percentages, of the width of the tire. The 70 aspect ratio is the SIDEWALL HEIGHT of the tire. Now remember, there’s two sidewall heights, the height between your wheel and the ground, and the height from the top of the wheel to top of tire.

To convert to inches, divide the 315 by 25.4(25.4mm’s to an inch), and you get 12.4”. That’s the width of the tire.

Now the sidewall height is the 70 aspect ratio so take 12.4 x .70 and you get 8.68”. Remember, two sidewall heights so multiply 8.68 x 2 and you get 17.36”.

Now all you need to do to get TOTAL overall diameter is add in the wheel diameter, 17 in this case, and you end up with 34.36”!

Kind of easy? Lol I learned that years ago with performance cars when you were always trying to go with bigger wheels and lower profile tires, but still keep overall diameter the same. It’s definitely very helpful!
You are very right. I use to know all that stuff when I was building and racing cars. 50 years has taken it's toll on my memory. Now I just roll a tire up to the car and say yep that's it , or nope it aint a gonna work. Th
Why can’t I post any pictures here?
I don't see a member number on your profile. It looks like you met the requirement for the number of posts
ank you
Replaced my Warn fairlead with one from Factor 55. Much nicer quality, and looks better, for whatever that’s worth[emoji16]

View attachment 102891

View attachment 102892
slick looking !

Reactions: sabjku

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Why can’t I post any pictures here?
It may have something to do with your member number is not showing. I don't know if that is something you have to do or they have to do. All I know is that I couldn't post pictures till my number showed up. OB make mistakes too. I'm still trying to learn how the site works so your not alone.

Reactions: sabjku

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps

Great explanation

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Just purchased Metalcloak rocker rail in black powder coat finsih. Due to arrive on 6/18!
Next purchase will more than likely be the GAIA 5 year premium service. Then a fridge/freezer, power inverter, tent....lol. The list goes on and on an on.
Yes and it's habit forming too. Get out there where you can and add on when you can. It's all okay

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Upgrade how? Buy More stickers? Hahah
I’m slowly giving up on them I email 3 times already and no response
I contacted OB and told them about your problem. They answered me and said they would straighten out your problem. Hope it truly does...lanlubber