What is the last thing you bought and plan to buy?

• HTML tutorial

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

Bet that cost an arm and a leg! Can't wait to see it all put together, proably going to look sick!

My plates, pans, cutlery and other stuff I ordered came in today.. No idea what I'll be buying next, have to save up some cash for some other stuff.

Reactions: TerryD

TXpedition

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Waxahachie, TX, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Hillier
Member #

Curious...do those work as well as maxtraxx? How's the cost comparison?
Luckily I haven't had to use them yet. All the research I did showed they work just as well. What I do like about them is if the plugs get melted from tire spin, there is a way to get them replaced.

Reactions: John D.

John D.

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

porterville, ca
First Name
John
Last Name
Duffy
Member #

Luckily I haven't had to use them yet. All the research I did showed they work just as well. What I do like about them is if the plugs get melted from tire spin, there is a way to get them replaced.
Thanks for the info.

Northernlady

Rank V
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Karen
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

Well I just bought an MSR coolest to upgrade my camping gear so that is my most recent purchase. I was out on a forestry road yesterday and got a flat, so it looks like my next purchase is new tires...I am still running the ones that came with the Jeep and so it is time to replace anyway.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

My last purchase was an ARB Twin Air Compressor and Accessories.

I originally planned to fit the compressor either under the bonnet or under the drivers seat. Unfortunately neither locations allow enough room for me to do so. I have come up with an idea of fitting inside a housing underneath my cubby box.

CKMTA_1.jpg
171302.jpg
ARB605US.jpg
171309-1.jpg )

The housing I am hoping to use underneath the cubby box looks like this. it should be en-route to me from the supplier as I type this.....

IMG_3506.jpg

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

I don't think I've seen any upright rotopax mounts for a roof rack but it should be easy enough to fab using some of those rotopax swivel mounts. If you don't do it yourself I'm sure a local shop could do it relatively easily. Manufacturers do make upright mounts for your standard 5gal military can (both fuel and water) if you wanted to go that route. I mulled this over awhile too.
Rotopax does have an L-bracket mount they make / sell. Problem is they mount the Rotopax containers long-side vertically (if that makes sense). I don't believe this mount was meant to be on a roof rack. The thing that kills me is Rotopax could have drilled a couple of more holes and given the buyer the option to mount the containers long-side horizontally.

I called Rotopax yesterday asking about the L-bracket mount, and as I was answering her question of why I wanted to mount the containers vertically, her voice raised slightly as she said "Our containers don't leak!".

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

Epic. How is that Warn Zeon control pack relocation kit? I've got a Zeon from another vehicle that I can repurpose but I'd need to relocate the pack.. was thinking of just selling it for one that's already separate.

I ordered all this stuff over a month ago, but I finally have it all. Let the massive install begin!

ARB Summit bar, WARN Zeon Platinum 10-s, ARB fog light kit, ARB Intesity 9.5" (THEY ARE MASSIVE). lots of other install kits... wohoooo

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Epic. How is that Warn Zeon control pack relocation kit? I've got a Zeon from another vehicle that I can repurpose but I'd need to relocate the pack.. was thinking of just selling it for one that's already separate.
None of it is hard to deal with. The short relocation kit I used is 31". Its basically just the three main cables from the control pack to the winch. I also did the enhanced signal kit to get an antenna on my roof for the wireless remote on my Platinum.

You basically have to rebuild the whole inside of the control pack, which is silly, but not a problem. I am disappointed in how they implemented the high beam aux link 'feature' .. im going to have to install separate relays to activate them with high beams. The warn zeon platinum can't turn aux on from high beams, it can only require that the high beams be on to manually turn on the lights.. STUPID feature.

Anyway... I am LOVING the bumper and the winch is super nice. I need to get out and mess with it more. Soon I might be using it to pull cars out of snow banks and ditches, which will be fun. Always used a tow strap in the past.

Mike W

Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I think I posted this in another thread, but I realized I didn't show the final result of the post from above...

I did install the flip up license plate holder which covers the winch fairlead.. after this corn field poser shot.

Last edited:

Mike W

Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Beautiful Rover. Thanks for the details, that's funky with the high beams. Relay's are easy though so at least it's a simple fix.
It is a simple fix, but its extra wiring that could be totally avoided if they had actually 'linked' the aux to the little high beam wire they have. wasted opportunity. I hope they fix it and I can replace it.

I will have to use two fused relays, two switches (so i can choose which of the two lights come on if at all with the high beams), and some Y splitter cables (one path for the winch aux and one for the high beam relays), etc. I hate extra wire. I have a very simple, clean, water tight, setup... and anytime you add crap, you add complexity (i know, modern rover guy complaining about complexity... but I mean non-factory complexity. ) Lots of rig problems can be attributed to aftermarket changes, and I don't want that if possible. Its more stuff to clean also when you get things dirty. I like that the ARB bumper has solid metal under shields, to protect all the stuff up front, including the air suspension distribution block/valve block. I need to work more on the inner wheel well plastic, to make it solid and not move or let in dirt/rocks/water... I want that thing solid so tree limbs and debris can't get into the engine area or front bumper area at all!

Anyway, I am picky and I could go on all day about this stuff. :D

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

It is a simple fix, but its extra wiring that could be totally avoided if they had actually 'linked' the aux to the little high beam wire they have. wasted opportunity. I hope they fix it and I can replace it.

I will have to use two fused relays, two switches (so i can choose which of the two lights come on if at all with the high beams), and some Y splitter cables (one path for the winch aux and one for the high beam relays), etc. I hate extra wire. I have a very simple, clean, water tight, setup... and anytime you add crap, you add complexity (i know, modern rover guy complaining about complexity... but I mean non-factory complexity. ) Lots of rig problems can be attributed to aftermarket changes, and I don't want that if possible. Its more stuff to clean also when you get things dirty. I like that the ARB bumper has solid metal under shields, to protect all the stuff up front, including the air suspension distribution block/valve block. I need to work more on the inner wheel well plastic, to make it solid and not move or let in dirt/rocks/water... I want that thing solid so tree limbs and debris can't get into the engine area or front bumper area at all!

Anyway, I am picky and I could go on all day about this stuff. :D
Haha no worries, I can commiserate completely.. bad wiring is the worst. I'm working on designing a wiring diagram for a Series IIA right now that has a motor swap, essentially starting from the ground up so we're trying to keep it as tight and serviceable as possible. It takes so much time!

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

Black Friday is upon us and I'm so tempted to buy the Hannibal Side Awning with optional Sides. The whole deal has a 50% discount.

Should I or shouldn't I??
I have no personal experience with Hannibal although I've heard good things in passing. That said I love my awning, have it roll out over the driver-side and it's easily one of my favorite mods for the price. I have an ARB brand, I know there are some other brands that are legless and with swingout styles available, but just thought I'd share that in general I find awnings a great mod.

It was a life save back in June, was helping my bud relocate from Montana to Arizona and he had this grand idea to purchase a 70's era RV instead of a moving van because he wanted to repurpose the motor for another vehicle back in Tucson, some big 400 cubic inch plant. It had an old school style camper awning that angled out. The thing kept vaporlocking after we got across the Hoover Dam and it took us 7-hours in the blistering sun to go about 70-miles. Without the awning we would have been in serious trouble.

Anyways, if you're considering one I'd throw my support behind it, quick and easy shelter that really helps tie camp together.