What is the last thing you bought and plan to buy?

• HTML tutorial

OdinOutdoors

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Coos Bay Oregon
Member #

its nice but GEEEZ its expensive. the shortened height idea is cool, but when u have a full load on it, back door opening or tire swinging out is still out of the question until you completely unload it. idk if id PERSONALLY spend that kind of loot on that when there are WAYYYYYY cheaper and just as efficient ones on the market. I carried about a cord of wood on the little $60 one from Walmart for about 100miles on my way to ocotillo wells a couple months ago! Just my input....im not knocking it tho! its a LOT prettier than the one I was using and does look pretty heavy-duty.
$725... OUCH! that's pretty heavy

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Just bought a Pakmule hitch cargorack.
PAKMULE Sway-Back

I need room to carry bundles of firewood for camping, and they are not going to fit inside my FJ Cruiser.

I barely had room last year for one bundle of firewood.
What I like about this rack is it is aluminum, fully welded and put together, and made in the USA, not imported.

Kind of pricey, but from what I have read about it online and talking to the owner, it is one of the best ones out there right now.
Free shipping too, and I will gt pics after I get it.
They make a taller one, but I would not be able to open my rear door.
I have one of the Wal-Mart (link) ones with the angle edges that we've used for years now. I added a 1.5x1.5" angle aluminum bracket to the middle of each side to increase the strength of the expanded metal floors. I've carrier t-cases, coolers, totes, tires, ect on it and have taken it to the beach 4 times now on various vehicles. The last time it had my 73qt cooler loaded down with food and ice on one side and a large Rubbermaid Action Packer tote full of sleeping/camping gear on the other. It even has spots to relocate the rear license plate to the carrier since what you are hauling obscures the plate and the last thing I need is ANOTHER reason to be pulled over.

20170613_125900 by TerryD, on Flickr

I don't think anything about that rack is worth $700 but if you do, more power to you friend!

Reactions: EscoTerrestrial

JersT4R

Rank V
Investor

Traveler III

Norfolk, VA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Bailey
Member #

I recently bought an Outdoor Vitals Aerie 20degree bag, Moog bushings and sway bar links.

I’d like the Maxtrax and a Tembotusk Skottle, but I really would prefer spending the $ on some sliders first.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
View attachment 52254 View attachment 52253 love wrenching on the Jeep. Fox 2.0 getting delivered Thursday
Those little steps are SWEET! Almost makes me want to drill holes in my Xterra!

I recently bought an Outdoor Vitals Aerie 20degree bag, Moog bushings and sway bar links.

I’d like the Maxtrax and a Tembotusk Skottle, but I really would prefer spending the $ on some sliders first.
Get the sliders! There's a thread on here about building a skottle from a plow disc. Great excuse to learn to weld!

I ordered a full set of braided SS brake hoses on Monday. I need the extended length for the rear and since the X has 170k on it, why not replace them all and change the brake fluid when I install the lift.

Reactions: Linda Lewis

JimInBC

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Southern Vancouver Island
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Freer
Member #

Bought, upper and lower ball joints and a new exhaust system and front and rear springs and shocks. (some days I think a boat would be less of a money drain)
Plan to buy, 5lb propane tank and lines, maybe a jet boil to hook off the side of my Eureka stove for quick boiled water for coffee, maybe a basic solar set up. Still working on which ones and priority. Most energy is going into places to visit this summer.

Dcwn.45

Rank IV

Member I

Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Nyman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0GNE
I just ordered Weathertech front mats for the Tacoma, after scrubbing and vacuuming the carpet for 30 min [again]

Reactions: Linda Lewis

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I just had a full coolant flush done as part of my preventative maintenance over upgrades/mods since I am realizing how neglected this rig was before I snagged it. Apparently the previous owner used the pink/orange type and I guess that can be harmful to rubber seals and hoses over time? I had no idea. My mechanic, whom I trust completely, got me on the proper kind that shouldn't cause any issues. He also made some suggestions for my next visit that would be ideal to do, although not needed. Next up will probably be a trans fluid change with new filters and gasket if this sensor issue turns out to be a damaged wire.

john casson

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Danville CA
Member #

Just bought a Pakmule hitch cargorack.
PAKMULE Sway-Back

I need room to carry bundles of firewood for camping, and they are not going to fit inside my FJ Cruiser.

I barely had room last year for one bundle of firewood.
What I like about this rack is it is aluminum, fully welded and put together, and made in the USA, not imported.

Kind of pricey, but from what I have read about it online and talking to the owner, it is one of the best ones out there right now.
https://pakmule.com/product/pakmule-sway-back/
Free shipping too, and I will gt pics after I get it.
They make a taller one, but I would not be able to open my rear door.
For $725.00 , no way.... paid $65.00 10 years ago for this Screenshot_20180312-183220.png

Sent from my SM-G930T using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: EscoTerrestrial

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
The lift in finally installed. Took me three evenings and one whole day, but it's finished. Next thing in planning to buy is a Firestone Lifetime Alignment.

Then after that I'm going back and forth between a tire carrier bumper or regear/lock it.

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
Bought a Cold Steel "special forces" mini shovel to keep in the back of my XC70. I tried it out chopping a fallen branch in my yard, it's actually pretty legit! I feel it will be useful to have when camping or when doing impromptu trail maintenance when mountain biking. I'll prob end up with a small camp axe or hatchet anyway, but I like stuff that can do double duty.

Next purchase is probably going to be an inexpensive pop up shower tent to use as a changing booth at the trailhead when biking. I usually stand between my open front and rear doors to change, but in crowded parking areas that can be tough as there are lots of eyes around.

(I'm going for a camping/mountain bike trip support vehicle with my build)