Rank IV

Advocate I

Fremont, CA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Yoshida
Member #

Is there anyone out there that has an MDX and have traction boards? Just trying to get an idea on how to carry one. And any suggestion on which brand to get if I’m just doing limited trips that might need them?

Thank you in advance.
Bruce

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

I would recommend carrying them outside your car as they get very dirty when used. On your roof rack would be a great choice with little to no modification.

I’m a fan of Maxxtraxx but there are cheaper brands available that work wel.

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Are you seeking a specific product, or tips on what to look for design-wise? I've done some research on designs, and this is what I've found, though I am building my own mount so I don't know specific products.

The Roof Rack is a common space to store MaxTrax on a wagon -- Traction Boards take up a lot of space but are very light, so a rack is an idea mount. As @PonoAdventures said, they get pretty dirty so you don't want them inside or in with your other gear. If you are wanting to preserve real-estate on the rack itself, an offset mount is an option.

Flat Mount:

1614287807824.jpeg

Offset Mount:

Another good mounting spot is over the rear quarter windows if that's an option for you. On an MDX it might not be without making holes, but on something like the Ram Truck above, it's easy to connect something to the bed rail and to the roof rack and mount traction boards there. On my first version of my truck cap, that's where I kept mine. This is actually a bit nicer than a roof rack in my opinion, because shorter folks can still easily access them. In the photo below you can see the red traction boards mounted to my bed rack.

06B8F5B7-661C-4C4B-B62A-BF405F738C6E.jpeg

There are a bunch of different types of mounts. I use threaded knobs from amazon and 5/8th inch threaded rods. The rods stick out from the rack and are just long enough so that the traction boards (which have holes in convenient places) can be held in place with the knobs. I'm preferring a no-knob solution because I keep dropping the knobs when I take the tracks on or off, and I don't want to lose one. Here's an example of a no-knob solution from EziAwn

There are also fully captive options that provide a bit more security which you might want if you've just dropped $800 on two pairs of MaxTrax, but they come with a trade-off in weight. I am unable to find a photo of these but basically, imagine the long edges of the max trax secured by angle iron, with a padlock at the end that allows you to flip up a portion of the angle and remove them.

YoshidaBK

Rank IV

Advocate I

Fremont, CA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Yoshida
Member #

@PonoAdventures - I'm trying to figure out where I can attach the traction boards to my rig. I currently have Tule Cross Bar and OEM Acura roof rails.
Currently surfing the web to see if they sell any mounting unit that will hold the traction board to the OEM roof rails (but not sure if that is an option or even safe).

@Old Tanker - haha nice one. Yeah, I left myself open for that comment!

Last edited:
Reactions: Old Tanker

YoshidaBK

Rank IV

Advocate I

Fremont, CA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Yoshida
Member #

@ChasingOurTrunks - Wow, this is a lot to digest...thanks a lot. I will continue my research to figure out what would be the best option for me. I am looking for a mount that can can easily put on and take off for I will not leave it on the MDX. I will imagine I will only install the mount, or if not possible, store the traction boards on the rig when going on a trip. Not during normal daily drives. (MDX - 2009). Yes you are correct I do not want to drill any holes!!
I currently have Tule Cross Bar and OEM Acura roof rails. And I place a Thule cargo box on top when I travel. If there is a mount that I can install to either my Cross Bar or Roof Rail that would be my first choice.

Thanks again for the helpful feed back above much appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
@ChasingOurTrunks - Wow, this is a lot to digest...thanks a lot. I will continue my research to figure out what would be the best option for me. I am looking for a mount that can can easily put on and take off for I will not leave it on the MDX. I will imagine I will only install the mount, or if not possible, store the traction boards on the rig when going on a trip. Not during normal daily drives. (MDX - 2009). Yes you are correct I do not want to drill any holes!!
I currently have Tule Cross Bar and OEM Acura roof rails. And I place a Thule cargo box on top when I travel. If there is a mount that I can install to either my Cross Bar or Roof Rail that would be my first choice. On a separate post, I am also looking for a place to mount my Hi-lift Jack.

Thanks again for the helpful feed back above much appreciated.

Do you have much else on the roof when you travel besides the box? And does the box take up the entire roof real estate? And what about the dimensions of the box? Finally, what else do you keep in that box? (Sorry for the interrogation but I have some ideas I can recommend but they would depend on your use case).

YoshidaBK

Rank IV

Advocate I

Fremont, CA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Yoshida
Member #

Do you have much else on the roof when you travel besides the box? And does the box take up the entire roof real estate? And what about the dimensions of the box? Finally, what else do you keep in that box? (Sorry for the interrogation but I have some ideas I can recommend but they would depend on your use case).
Okay, I'm new to this, so I just figured out there is a Reply button (Oops)

Thule Cross Bar - 60inch
Thule Force XT - XXL Cargo Box - Ext Dimensions: 90.5 x 35.5 x 18.5 In.
OEM Acura rail roof rack
OEM Acura hitch
and since I am at it:
* 255/65/R18 WildPeak A/T Trail
* 30mm front strut spacers & 50mm Rear coil spacers
* Transmission cooling system and a fan on top of that to keep it running cool while I pull my future trailer

The cross bar and the cargo box only goes up on a road trip, otherwise it all comes off. so I will have less wind resistance.

Attachments

YoshidaBK

Rank IV

Advocate I

Fremont, CA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Yoshida
Member #

I deleted my comments regarding a HI-lift above for a few member told me that is not what I need for a MDX (uni-body) will not work with a hi-lift jack. I knew I need some taller then my stock jack and I was directed to Unijack which is perfect for my MDX and it's small.
So that solved that problem. :sunglasses:

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Okay, I'm new to this, so I just figured out there is a Reply button (Oops)

Thule Cross Bar - 60inch
Thule Force XT - XXL Cargo Box - Ext Dimensions: 90.5 x 35.5 x 18.5 In.
OEM Acura rail roof rack
OEM Acura hitch
and since I am at it:
* 255/65/R18 WildPeak A/T Trail
* 30mm front strut spacers & 50mm Rear coil spacers
* Transmission cooling system and a fan on top of that to keep it running cool while I pull my future trailer

The cross bar and the cargo box only goes up on a road trip, otherwise it all comes off. so I will have less wind resistance.
Something to consider - if you want the Thule box and the traction boards on for trips but off the rest of the time, what about mounting the boards to the Thule box? You could use a flat mount and either mount that on the side of the Thule box or the top. You'd need to reinforce it a bit and of course generously use sealant to keep the water out, but it's an option and gives you the equivalent of a rooftop "Go Bag" for your adventures.

A less "DIY" Solution (and I think your best bet) would be to see about getting a Thule-compatible bar that goes alongside your cargo box from your front roof rail to your rear roof rail, and on that bar mount one of the Offset mounts from a reputable company, like the EeziAwn option I shared above. The Thule system appears to be pretty user friendly so you might find an easy quick-release system that allows you to quickly and simply remove the bar, which would also remove the mount and the traction pads. If Thule doesn't make anything, check out 80/20 extrusions - they have a lot of options for simply doing this kind of project. Not cheap compared to raw material elsewhere but far more user friendly and easy to get a "professional" looking finish which won't detract from your car.

Finally, just remember that anything that is quick release for you is also quick release for thieves, so you should try to find a secure solution.

Rolando

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Lovettsville, VA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Woldt
Member #

I bought a pair of "the other" traction mats because I think spending $300 for a piece of plastic is just ridiculous (I can buy 5 pairs of mine for the same amount). I have used them 3 times by now and they look like new.

Either way - to mount them I built a holder with steel plates, carriage bolts, four 5/16 knobs, some nuts, and a bit of spray paint. This is bolted to the side plates of my bed rack (and yes, I had to drill new holes for the holders ;-) and they do their job just fine. In one of the longer carriage bolts I drilled a hole and added a small padlock to keep the occasional thief at least a bit honest.

Overall the material for the holder was somewhere between $20 and $30.

IMG_0084.jpg

Last edited:

Motomikeca

Rank VIII
Investor

Expedition Master II

Atwater, Merced County, California, United States
First Name
Mike&Jen
Last Name
Keith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Motomikeca
Honestly if you don’t spin your tires and use them as designed the cheaper units work great. In a real life situation your more than likely going to spin and knock some teeth off, both expensive and inexpensive will wear down with wheel spin. Overall quality the maxtrax wins but price point is hard to swallow when the cheaper models are that much cheaper. It really comes down to personal preference and finances.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I keep two sets of Maxtrax (four total) in an inexpensive, soft-sided padded rifle case. They stay on my rack most of the time, as in the image below (black, under the round gray roll).

I'm not a big fan of advertising what all my gear is, and traction boards are more like to walk away than a lot of other stuff. So keeping them in a cheap black bag works perfectly for me. Nobody ever messes with them. When I get 'em dirty, a good hosing down with the shower hose or short broom, and back in the bag they go.

I got mine from NcSTAR direct for like $34.00 years ago, though they no longer have them. Amzn had them here for a long time, too. If getting one for yourself, keep an eye on the inside dims of the case. I was skeptical it would work, because it seemed like the dims would be too tight, but it ended up fitting four boards just right after taking out the padding on one side.

loadedup_5452-900.jpg
Soft-sided rifle case(holds two pair of Maxtrax) strapped to rack under other bag.

roaddude_showertent-tire-n-tracks-1692-700.jpg

Last edited:

Contributor II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Foley
7EF986C6-1000-4D81-B8B4-49E8F0B26C39.jpeg
This is my solution. The vertical portion folds to the right to access the rear hatch. 10k lbs recovery point as well. 7EF986C6-1000-4D81-B8B4-49E8F0B26C39.jpeg
This is my solution. 10k lbs recovery point, traction board carrier and a hard case for tow straps and additional D Rings.

Reactions: YoshidaBK

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

I got the maxxtraxx mini’s and keep them in 2 heavy duty contractor trash bags in the cab, before and after use. I zip tie them together and they’ve never broken through. U can zip tie them to a lot of things.

Reactions: YoshidaBK