Crawfordville, FL
First Name
David
Last Name
Allen
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Army
Threads in this section will help you to become a self-reliant Overlander. Before we get started, what is "Overlanding"?

1. Overlanding is: "Vehicle Dependent Travel". Nothing else.
  2. We will not further define "overlanding".
  3. Dependability depends on what the requirements of the trip are, and we take that very seriously.
  4. You are an Overlander: Overlanding is for everyone who has exploration and adventure in their heart, or, who need to be reinvigorated by connecting with nature. Nature is unforgiving. You must rise to a certain level of personal awareness to survive. Sound right? Overlanding is for you.
  5. Encourage uncomplicated ventures into the great outdoors. Don't over pack.
  6. Be prepared, and understand basic requirements. Question folks, to be sure they are aware of what is required. Don't assume.
  7. Share without reservation, trip locations, and information.
  8. It doesn't matter what you drive: The only requirement of an Overlander is that the vehicle serves the job required, safely.
  9. We do not care about make or model.
  10. We do not engage in "this is better than that" competitions.
  11. We DO give advice about how to make your vehicle ready for what you need. Share knowledge.
  12. Humility. "I don't know" is a great answer.
  13. We don’t brag about exploits.
  14. We seek answers from the community when we don’t know.
  15. We engage in the smallest of interactions.
  16. We have fun.
Great intro to overlanding, I Totally agree.

Walter

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Katie Okla.
Member #

Threads in this section will help you to become a self-reliant Overlander. Before we get started, what is "Overlanding"?

1. Overlanding is: "Vehicle Dependent Travel". Nothing else.
  2. We will not further define "overlanding".
  3. Dependability depends on what the requirements of the trip are, and we take that very seriously.
  4. You are an Overlander: Overlanding is for everyone who has exploration and adventure in their heart, or, who need to be reinvigorated by connecting with nature. Nature is unforgiving. You must rise to a certain level of personal awareness to survive. Sound right? Overlanding is for you.
  5. Encourage uncomplicated ventures into the great outdoors. Don't over pack.
  6. Be prepared, and understand basic requirements. Question folks, to be sure they are aware of what is required. Don't assume.
  7. Share without reservation, trip locations, and information.
  8. It doesn't matter what you drive: The only requirement of an Overlander is that the vehicle serves the job required, safely.
  9. We do not care about make or model.
  10. We do not engage in "this is better than that" competitions.
  11. We DO give advice about how to make your vehicle ready for what you need. Share knowledge.
  12. Humility. "I don't know" is a great answer.
  13. We don’t brag about exploits.
  14. We seek answers from the community when we don’t know.
  15. We engage in the smallest of interactions.
  16. We have fun.
I had always thought of the truck I am building as a"Expedition" rig and what I like to do as exploring. I had not heard the term Overlanding but I guess that what it's called now days. Fits what I like.

Paladin2020

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Crawfordville, FL
First Name
David
Last Name
Allen
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Army
I am retiring in Oct 2018 and hope to have my vehicle outfitted by then, rehabbing camp tools or adding on, first to up-grade is a lift kit then front and rear bumpers.

Reactions: Railrodder

gDanCO

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor III

Thornton, CO, USA
Member #

I recently became intetested in overlanding after moving to Colorado. I've been a photographer for quite a long time, moving from the simple film cameras, to early digital cameras to full frame. You can do a heck of a lot with an iPhone but today's modern cameras and software give you a lot of flexibility. Just like Michael' comments about it doesn't matter what you drive, if a photograph gives you pleasure and a good memory, it's a good picture.

Overlanding gets me to places I could not get to before, but admired in other's pictures. Looking forward to taking more pictures with new found acquaintances from Overland Bound.

Attachments

Dokadude

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Halethorpe, MD
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Great video! This is why I like this group because it lacks exclusivity.
Back in 2001 My grandfather told me about a road trip he took in the early 1930s from Oklahoma to Pikes Peak. Sure they got to the mountain, but thing that stuck out was that they simply camped on the side of the road (unpaved back then). It was the, especially back then. The fact that it was a vivid memory for him in his late 80s says quite a bit about the experience.

JNewton99

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Center, TX, USA
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Newton
Member #

Awesome video, great mindset! Some of my greatest memories were camping and exploring growing up and I am looking forwards to making more and sharing those same moments with my own daughter now.

Reactions: Jeepgirl69

gDanCO

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor III

Thornton, CO, USA
Member #

Great video! This is why I like this group because it lacks exclusivity.
Back in 2001 My grandfather told me about a road trip he took in the early 1930s from Oklahoma to Pikes Peak. Sure they got to the mountain, but thing that stuck out was that they simply camped on the side of the road (unpaved back then). It was the, especially back then. The fact that it was a vivid memory for him in his late 80s says quite a bit about the experience.
That must have been quite an experience.

Casper66

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Culpeper, Va.
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Carter
Member #

I apprciate this organization and am trying to soak all this in and learn as I go. I started "camping" in the millitary perhaps the biggest overlanding organization. We became Girl Sout leaders and took the girls camping a few times a year. Now that our daughters arre grown and gone we are trying to "get out there" on our own terms. We have boondocked a coupe of times but the majority has been at State Parks or other camp grounds and we have met some absolutely fascinating people from all over the world. I still have a lot to learn especially with navigation and finding destinations but I believe I have found the right spot to educate me. Happy to be here.