Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

great video! All good points. You can overland in anything you have. Hack I know a guy who routinely travels to the depths of the washes of Baja in a Honda civic... Its all about what you make it.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Simon Wolfe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sunnyvale, CA
First Name
Simon
Last Name
Wolfe
Member #

Great Video! I thing the values you have chosen are outstanding and most likely a big reason for the success and growth of OB.

wolftaco0503

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Evanston, IL
Member #

I loved that Video. It's all about what you make it. Perfect. Not about 37" tires or RTT's. Granted those might help but there not necessary.

Last edited:

Simon Wolfe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sunnyvale, CA
First Name
Simon
Last Name
Wolfe
Member #

One of the things that I feel makes me an Overlander is when I get "sent" somewhere for business or the like, I'd do all that normal mundane "plan for the business trip" stuff. Then I go search the map and see what there is to see and do while on my way there, coming back, or even while I'm there. Life is an adventure. All you have to do is stop, take a look around you, and let it be an adventure.

Veritablehatter

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Boston, MA
Member #

I've ended up stuck in a lot of weird places, sometimes by vehicles that failed, sometimes just by coincidence. I've generally been pretty happy for the adventure.

This video made me happy, because it let me know there are others.

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
Threads in this section will help you to become a self-reliant Overlander. Before we get started, what is "Overlanding"?

1. Overlanding is: "Vehicle Dependent Travel". Nothing else.
  2. We will not further define "overlanding".
  3. Dependability depends on what the requirements of the trip are, and we take that very seriously.
  4. You are an Overlander: Overlanding is for everyone who has exploration and adventure in their heart, or, who need to be reinvigorated by connecting with nature. Nature is unforgiving. You must rise to a certain level of personal awareness to survive. Sound right? Overlanding is for you.
  5. Encourage uncomplicated ventures into the great outdoors. Don't over pack.
  6. Be prepared, and understand basic requirements. Question folks, to be sure they are aware of what is required. Don't assume.
  7. Share without reservation, trip locations, and information.
  8. It doesn't matter what you drive: The only requirement of an Overlander is that the vehicle serves the job required, safely.
  9. We do not care about make or model.
  10. We do not engage in "this is better than that" competitions.
  11. We DO give advice about how to make your vehicle ready for what you need. Share knowledge.
  12. Humility. "I don't know" is a great answer.
  13. We don’t brag about exploits.
  14. We seek answers from the community when we don’t know.
  15. We engage in the smallest of interactions.
  16. We have fun.

I love this video! I got on the forum and received the requisite e-mail from Michael about joining Overland Bound, but I wasn't sure if wanted to. I belong to other forums, what makes this one so different? I looked around the forum for several days before I watched this video. This video is what made me want to join Overland Bound. The "No Judgement" aspect; the "it-doesn't-matter-what-you-drive-so long-as-you-drive" mentality. I'm very new, so new that I haven't even been assigned a member number yet, but I like this place very much! Thank you for creating it!

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

I love this video! I got on the forum and received the requisite e-mail from Michael about joining Overland Bound, but I wasn't sure if wanted to. I belong to other forums, what makes this one so different? I looked around the forum for several days before I watched this video. This video is what made me want to join Overland Bound. The "No Judgement" aspect; the "it-doesn't-matter-what-you-drive-so long-as-you-drive" mentality. I'm very new, so new that I haven't even been assigned a member number yet, but I like this place very much! Thank you for creating it!
Member# 0990

And I have nothing but good things to say about this community.

Make sure you swing into the overland humor thread... very enjoyable :-D

Sent from my SM-N910V using OB Talk mobile app

J Tosh Reed

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Member #

I really really appreciate the friendly, kind, vibe from this community. I am BRAND new to owning anything other than a beater car. I checked out a bunch of local 4x4 sorta groups and communities and it was just incredibly negative, elitist, often D**K measuring contests, and who ever didn't basically drive around in a monster truck was a loser. That's so lame, as an adult, why would I want to waste my time with that noise? I just wanna get in my 4runner and drive off into the woods and explore.
So ya, just really appreciate the values behind this community.
Thanks all!
-John

Luis Merlo

OB1962

Influencer II

Collingwood Park, Queensland,4301
First Name
Luis
Last Name
Merlo
Member #

I really really appreciate the friendly, kind, vibe from this community. I am BRAND new to owning anything other than a beater car. I checked out a bunch of local 4x4 sorta groups and communities and it was just incredibly negative, elitist, often D**K measuring contests, and who ever didn't basically drive around in a monster truck was a loser. That's so lame, as an adult, why would I want to waste my time with that noise? I just wanna get in my 4runner and drive off into the woods and explore.
Thanks all!
-John

Welcome !...from Brisbane, Australia

Reactions: J Tosh Reed

khorsa

Rank III

Advocate II

michigan
Thanks all!
-John
Actually, as someone who offroad camps (many refer to this as overlanding) AND who enjoys large tires, mud running, hill climbing. obstacle courses and speed I find your statement just as insulting and elitist as you say their statements were. I'm 48, I am an adult and I've owned many rigs for many different purposes over the years. It takes all kinds to enjoy offroad activities and "offroad" means different things to different people. Personally I love a six hundred h.p. engine, 1 ton axles, 60" tires and a hundred foot of deep mud bog in front of me as much as I like my nearly stock TJ driving on remote forestry service roads and ending the day by pitching camp, throwing a hunk of meat on the fire and watching the sun go down.

You did the right thing by leaving those forums/groups/whatever, they obviously aren't for you and that is cool. Do what you enjoy, just don't rag on them for doing what they like. And yes, this forum is very very friendly. I like the people here, but just like all online forums there are some I like better than others, some posts that I just skip over because of the tone, etc.

Have a good one, do what you enjoy and don't judge other offroaders.

Reactions: soonersfan

Traveler I

ive learned recently that while you may finish building a dedicated off road truck ( my past experiences ) you wont ever get done tinkering with overlanding LOL

taking my first trip over Christmas! ill be off work 11 days.... gonna see what this old bronco's got.

i drive it daily, so mechanically she is sound. i have a spare carburetor (adjusted and ran it for a few weeks) , mechanical fuel pump, alternator and random other things i thought would be handy.... i like the old trucks. they are easier to diagnose and repair....

and....here....we......go
Enjoy!!!

Sent from my SM-G610M using OB Talk mobile app

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
You can do it mazda man
You can do in an old trany van
You can do it in your old sedan
We dont care how do it just do it if you can
You can do it with your old school mates
The ones you used to agitate
Just get there if you can
There are miles of roads to tease us
Tracks n rocks to please us
A million miles beetween us
long pause for the melody
You can travel with folks you know
Go off road or just drive slow it dont matter how you do it just do it if you can :blush:

The rapp version is coming :sunglasses: